FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build

LightsOut said:
Haven't used the Kosos myself, but only heard good things. Will probably be going with them when I get going with my build. Seems like a quality brand. I believe Acewell uses similar setup too.

Remember to set the valve clearances to .005-.006, not down to .002 as the FSM says. At least that seems to be the collective wisdom of the 1100f.net forum :) Too tight especially on the exhaust side risks burning the valves.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Ill have to check out Acewell also, yea i too scoured over the forums and came to the same conclusion as you and left min .006 i think better to have too much than not enough may sound shit but wont fuck the valves.

Hopefully all the shims are ready would be cool to put them in fit the carbs and see if i can fire her up (very wishful thinking) i really want to hear the Delvic pipes.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using DO THE TON mobile app

brad black said:
i had max make me a disc recently, i think it was all water cut, even the holes in it. not sure how thick the original is, but you could get it made thinner too from stainless, 4mm is fine. and a bit smaller, to take a smaller caliper.
Hey brad what am i looking at to get a disc done roughly?

cb250nproject said:
Hopefully all the shims are ready would be cool to put them in fit the carbs and see if i can fire her up (very wishful thinking) i really want to hear the Delvic pipes.

Now that's something at least I would like to see/hear a video of :)

I just messaged the seller for my CR carbs to see what tgey came off, as luck would have it a CB 750 and it was just jetted and tuned hopefully its pretty close to spot on once fitted

You shouldn’t have to do much with the carbs. Mine were pre-jetted and it runs like a top. Just needed a sync. I read earlier that you may need a steering stabilizer. I can attest to this, mine’s pretty twitchy without it. I have a cbr954 front end on it. I ended up buying a ohlins that came off the ninja and had it re-valved. It cost me a total of $200 with the re-valve. It was definitely worth it. It looks good man. I can’t wait to see when it’s finished.

esmoojee said:
You shouldn’t have to do much with the carbs. Mine were pre-jetted and it runs like a top. Just needed a sync. I read earlier that you may need a steering stabilizer. I can attest to this, mine’s pretty twitchy without it. I have a cbr954 front end on it. I ended up buying a ohlins that came off the ninja and had it re-valved. It cost me a total of $200 with the re-valve. It was definitely worth it. It looks good man. I can’t wait to see when it’s finished.
Thats cool do you have photos of the dampener installed ?

Not currently. Ill try to take some tonight. I had a tab welded to the steering stop off the steering neck and a stabilizer clamp on the fork.

esmoojee said:
Not currently. Ill try to take some tonight. I had a tab welded to the steering stop off the steering neck and a stabilizer clamp on the fork.
Awesome always interested to seebhow others overcome these issues, how much shorter were the forks you put on compared to stock, i think there was 4cm difference in length between stock and gsxr.

I was looking at second hand gsxr dampners can puck them up fairly cheap, then for shits and giggles typed in ohlins get what you pay for i guess, be a bit out of my budget.

I think my shocks are the same length as yours. They should be the same as a gsxr. I believe they’re 27.5” in length.

Esmoojee your bike looks sweet as, The mono shock and swing arm conversion with that seat looks pimp finished professionally ill be happy if mine is half as sweet

Thanks man, it took me a long time. I still keep making upgrades. I took her out on Mulholland drive yesterday and had a blast. However, I think I’m getting too old for clip ons. I decided to switch to my 3” hi-rise clip ons over the cbr’s. I switched out my foot pegs recently as well to gsxr’s over the yamaha’s. It’s a constant project but it’s fun. I’m considering swapping the front end to a yamaha r1. I have an extra lying around. I can’t decide. Keep up posting pics. I like to see other cb’ers bikes. I have an affinity for them.

esmoojee said:
Thanks man, it took me a long time. I still keep making upgrades. I took her out on Mulholland drive yesterday and had a blast. However, I think I’m getting too old for clip ons. I decided to switch to my 3” hi-rise clip ons over the cbr’s. I switched out my foot pegs recently as well to gsxr’s over the yamaha’s. It’s a constant project but it’s fun. I’m considering swapping the front end to a yamaha r1. I have an extra lying around. I can’t decide. Keep up posting pics. I like to see other cb’ers bikes. I have an affinity for them.
With the R1 pegs did yoy weld brakets on to mount them ? Im jealous that you get to ride Mulholland ive watched heaps of clips fmof that

No, I cut down the original peg brackets and drilled and tapped them. No welding required. All bolt on. Mulholland is fun, Angeles crest hwy is just as fun too! It’s actually closer to where I live.

esmoojee said:
No, I cut down the original peg brackets and drilled and tapped them. No welding required. All bolt on. Mulholland is fun, Angeles crest hwy is just as fun too! It’s actually closer to where I live.
You inspired me

5bc26d87d11f1dfe7c4e8caad24473ab.jpg

b8e0842a0ff1da089e3e7d2eb866b246.jpg

My old man is looking for an excuse to test out the new mill so ive ordered the rearsets came with master cylinder and calipers not sure if ill be able to use the caliper or not have to sus it out when i get home.

Did you end up getting a chance to take a pic of the dampner set up ? Id love to see what you did to those peg brackets also no just trying to work out what dampner and bracket to get i cant remeber the diameter of the fork tube :/

I was looking at Dakota speedos but theyre a little cost prohibitive
4e48c6de6e12dccf1144984d0bf2fee2.jpg

But oh so sweet looking. Think ill have to keep scouring the net for options but.

So while I'm stuck up the mountain at work Ive been scouring fleabay for some additional parts required and managed to find myself a Ohlins steering damper for about $200, and an aluminium front mud guard from Kickstarter.de.

Ive been watching youtube and found this cool clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWUEAMmfgVU and Im hoping to make brackets for the front mud guard in a similar fashion, although this guy is a pro so im anticipating it taking a few attempts to get it spot on.

although Ive got the steering damper I'm still not quite sure where exactly will be the best place to mount it so its most effective any people out there who have done it previously on the cb 750 dohc that have any photos it would be much appreciated.

My goal is to have all of the seat pan, tail section and frame work done with valves reshimed so I can seal engine back up this next break. then i will strip the frame down to paint it.

The engine will need a bit of loving what does everyone do to clean it down ? most of it i wil just spray silver but i will polish up the clutch basket cover and rotor cover.

the things that are stil baking my noodle is what guages to use, and what im going to do with the headlight/ nose cone option. got a few ideas but nothing in concrete yet.

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • fender1.jpg
    fender1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,197
  • ohlins.jpg
    ohlins.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,232
Nice score on the dampener and fender!

No personal experience from mounting steering dampener, but seems most common to mount it off on the right hand side just under the tank. Cleanest solution is in imo in front though, and since you have a 750 and therefore no oil cooler you have the space for that. Guess you'd need to either source or fab a mount to support it?

For engine cleaning - degreaser, wire brush and elbow grease? ;)

For covers etc that come off, media blasting if you have that available? (Blasting cases seems like a bad idea)
930195d076fcef3747c234ecf2cda13a.jpg

LightsOut said:
Nice score on the dampener and fender!

No personal experience from mounting steering dampener, but seems most common to mount it off on the right hand side just under the tank. Cleanest solution is in imo in front though, and since you have a 750 and therefore no oil cooler you have the space for that. Guess you'd need to either source or fab a mount to support it?

For engine cleaning - degreaser, wire brush and elbow grease? ;)

For covers etc that come off, media blasting if you have that available? (Blasting cases seems like a bad idea)
930195d076fcef3747c234ecf2cda13a.jpg

Thats a crazy set up for the damper, a mean feat of engineering. I agree trying to put it up front will make it look better ill see how technical i can get.

I had a funny feeling there was no real easy way to clean the engine i guess ill have to get an assortment of wire brushes and pipe cleaners and hook in hopefully this break i can put in a few solid weeks of work.

I actually think that particular mount is a kit from Japan. Don't know the details or if it's available, might be worth checking?

Sorry man, I was wrong about the weld. That was on my nighthawk. The 750 I just drilled and tapped in the steering stop. I can’t really get in there to get a good photo. I can’t remember if it’s 6 or 8... Whatever the standard mount bolt was. I locked it down with thread lock and lock nut.

Attachments

• damper placement.jpg
    damper placement.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,461
Back
Top Bottom