1976 Honda cj 360

Bromz

Been Around the Block
Well got it today. Doesn't start but most of the electrics work but it still smells of old gas and carbs leak gas. Looks like new plug but I would say I have work to do to get it to run. Front brake drum is frozen up. Looks like the right air box is incomplete so I prob will go with pods. Might need some input on jetting the carbs
yna5ahub.jpg
y8e8eha8.jpg
era4y3az.jpg
se2evety.jpg
ytyvuqy6.jpg

Bike has low miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I already see why it won't start the PO feed the carbs from the petcock to the drain holes on the carbs.

Bromz said:
Well I already see why it won't start the PO feed the carbs from the petcock to the drain holes on the carbs.

Are you kidding me? LOL HAHAHAHA. Thanks bud that just made my whole day and its only 6:45 am.

you better hope he was smart enough to keep oil in her.

Call me. I got started on rearsets at 4:30 this morning...so I am up. Let me know when I can come out to see this diamond in the rough.
I am still laughing about the fuel lines.

I need to do some cleaning of the garage and organizing some space for parts before I even get started. Only thing it's missing is the side covers. PO said he cleaned carbs but he never touched the slides. Didn't even open them and then after seeing the fuel lines I have no doubt the are not right. There is hardly any corrosion on this bike. I have no doubt it will run just have to get at it. By next week stop by after work to check it out.

So just upon visual inspection the choke lever is bent so you cannot take it off choke, there is lamp cord wire clipped under a fuse in its holder looks like feeding the tail lite , and NO oil on the dip stick!

Awesome, I'm glad this one found a good home, I'd have snagged this one for myself if I did not already have another project bike waiting for me. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I have an orange set of cb360 side covers for you if you want them.

OK bud, you can let the boy know, he should probably brace himself, Dude is officially "World Famous"

More than 45,000 views from more than 85 countries around the globe.

http://www.hondabrat.com/2013/09/bromz-latest-editioncj360.html

3dognate
I would love to have them covers. I am going to do a complete paint job anyway. Maybe I can contact you through trek97. Would that be ok?

Pulled the tank,seat,and carbs. So far so good. Hope to rinse the tank out and go thru carbs quick to get this bike to fire
upyvypa9.jpg
ytuhe9ev.jpg
pe7ahysa.jpg

Do you guys see a problem with resistive caps on my plugs?
Also what can I use for a new float pin. One got buggered up good getting it out. YIKES
hynyga8a.jpg

use ngk b8es plugs...advance auto in urbana. and 5 or 10 ohm caps. most guys seem to have 5, I am running 10. Ive been told 10s are best for stock coils.
motorcyclesuperstore.com has pretty good prices on caps.
ive seen guys cut float pins out of coat hangers. Or PJ will make you a pair.

Thanks trek97. Do you mean 5 k or 10k ohms? I didn't like the ones on there and I had 3 old ones still good from the kaw so I put them on. The ol ones just didn't go on well.

good prices on both 5 and 10 ohm caps. Advance auto has the plugs on the shelf.

Well guys finally got feeling better(been sick for almost a week) and got the carbs clean rinsed the tank out and some fresh gas. Tried to fire it up and no luck. I pulled the plugs and they are brand new. I don't think the PO got this to run. So where next? I guess the coils and the points. I pulled each plug and to the best of my ability is tried kicking the bike while grounding the plugs and I did not see any spark. Pulled the points cover which I know very little about and the screws were loose as a goose and a little buggered up. Where do I start? Also while I had the plugs out one at a time kicking it over I seemed to have good compression holding my finger over the plug holes. Help please I would like to fire it before I tear it down. Thanks guys!

Just printed off about a dozen pages out o the manual gonna go thru the electrics one thing at a time. Any pointer would be helpful

Bromz said:
Just printed off about a dozen pages out o the manual gonna go thru the electrics one thing at a time. Any pointer would be helpful

Go through the manual sections on setting the points and timing. See if you can set the timing using the static Static timing method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Does the bike need to be in gear when rotating the engine for timing cause mine is in nuetral because I have no center stand. I donor seem to be getting any movement on my points.

Also my condenser reads 125.8 nf which converts to .125 uf if I'm doing that right so it might need replaced right?

Bromz said:
Does the bike need to be in gear when rotating the engine for timing cause mine is in nuetral because I have no center stand. I donor seem to be getting any movement on my points.

Needs to be in neutral. Am I reading you correctly? You are turning the rotor, but the little cam in the middle of the points mechanism isn't turning?

If so then your cam isn't turning, which means you have a broken cam chain or the cam sprocket is not attached to the cam.

If the cam is turning but the points aren't moving then they aren't adjusted. Is there an advance mechanism behind the points plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom