My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project *New Video*

pilots 35 may need a 32.5

no air correct jet to start

2.5 slide

q0 needle jet

6dh4 needle 3rd or so groove to start you may need to go down a size depending on your bike

use a 135-140 main to start

I like that needle and jet combo. Much leaner off idle and similar at 3/4 open up.

cxman said:
pilots 35 may need a 32.5

no air correct jet to start

2.5 slide

q0 needle jet

6dh4 needle 3rd or so groove to start you may need to go down a size depending on your bike

use a 135-140 main to start
Ok i'll try your suggestion for needle and needle jet, thanks.
Bit curious about the main jet size though, pretty much everyone else is around the 260ish size?
My slides are 2.5's :)
Not sure what the air correct jet is?

are you running a single carb?

or twin carbs

a air correct jet goes in the small hole in the intake side at the 6 oclock position

Twin carbs

Attachments

• IMG_5916.JPG
    IMG_5916.JPG
    710.3 KB · Views: 309

I really like my single flatslide setup! Now back to our regularily scheduled program.........

Attachments

• IMG_6725.JPG
    IMG_6725.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 324

i have no idea why you would run a 260 main on a twin carb setup

i dont have anything that big in any of my jetting notes on that bike

i think that flat slide is great thats a 36mm isnt it

i just saw where on f the gp racing guys back in 2008 said he was running 260s but on a gp motor with chambers

seems awful big to me for the street and may simply be that the motor cant approach the draw limit on the jet i dont know

or he was not running pump gas

I am surprised how small a main jet is being suggested. Race GT500 carbs I have cleaned have had 230/240 and 260 mains according to my notes. Interestingly a TD3 or early Tz is typically 280-320, albeit they rev a little higher and are in a higher state of tune.

That suggests that even in a relatively low state of tune, a T500 pulls in so much more air that it creates a stronger signal over the jets.

38mm on a GT750 runs 280-340. I have seen 210s in 32mm carbs on a 750. Nothing as small as 135.

You have more experience with them than I do, but those are surprising small numbers. It will be interesting to see what John's bike wants.

you are probably right the notes i have are from 1977 and my memories from there are almost as fuzzy

its probably a mix up in recording the main

The vm34s on my "street" RD have #260 mains just for reference. Port timing is fairly conservative and the bike is reasonably friendly to drive. I think the pilots are#35s, but would have to take them apart to know for sure.

jimmer said:
Just stumbled across this on my phone while looking for something completely unrelated:
Hey Jim I don't think the porting on my bike is an issue, Eric Kalamaja did the porting and he has done many t500's with a good reputaion :)

So I finally got to working on the bike again and changed out the needle and needle jet to cxmans suggestion so now i have;
q0 needle jet
6dh4 needle
260 mains
35 pilot
2.5 slides
air screw 1 1/2 turns out
It fired up first kick with the choke on, then took it straight off choke and it sounded quite good sitting there revved up pretty decent. So I grab my helmet for a spin around the block but I can tell it's too rich right away. I get about a 1/4 mile and open it up a bit and it struggled to clear itself but it did briefly in 2nd gear then I shift up to third and I'm down to one cylinder again just like the last test ride.
Push it back to the shop and take out the plugs (BR9HS) and again it is the left side that is causing the problem.
I wonder if there is a problem with the coil? It's strange that it never goes down to one cylinder until I actually ride it, it runs on two until I get going a little way.

Electrical issues can fool you into thinking that you have jetting issues. Did you use the old coils and charging system when you initially put it back together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

John, there is no way that I'd use a "Y" or "T" to dual carbs and .25" might be smallish? On my '75 T-500 I have a dual outlet Pingle petcock to my carbs. BTW it's a bolt up to the Suzuki tank, I know you built that beautiful tank but I can't recall the bung you used? The Pingle flows enough for a big drag bike engine, Pingle says "Don't let your Petcock be your main jet"
Cheers, 50gary

So what do you do to get the dead cylinder back running? It is quite common for ignition coils of any stripe to quit once they get hot (or even just warm "enough" and then behave normally after they cool off. You have to have some pretty atrocious jetting to kill plugs that quick even with the original anemic (by today's standards anyway) ignition. 50gary has a good point, but 34's have pretty big bowls and likely you would have figured out that you were starving for gas as you would get that cylinder back pretty much straight away after losing it.

clem said:
Electrical issues can fool you into thinking that you have jetting issues. Did you use the old coils and charging system when you initially put it back together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
Indeed I did. Not sure if you recall but my electrical skills are virtually non existant :( I wish I could re-wire the whole bike using modern components like many do on here but I just don't understand how to do it. I fried the original cdi unit because I wired that up incorrectly the first time. Can't follow the wiring diagram in the manual because my bike has a hybrid loom due to the fact that originally it was a points ignition t500 but was fitted with electronic ignition GT500 engine!

50gary said:
John, there is no way that I'd use a "Y" or "T" to dual carbs and .25" might be smallish? On my '75 T-500 I have a dual outlet Pingle petcock to my carbs. BTW it's a bolt up to the Suzuki tank, I know you built that beautiful tank but I can't recall the bung you used? The Pingle flows enough for a big drag bike engine, Pingle says "Don't let your Petcock be your main jet"
Cheers, 50gary
Ok Gary I will do as you suggest. I'll get a dual outlet petcock and make an adapter from my tank outlet. I still don't think that's the issue as the float bowls are always full when I take them off. I'm getting desperate so I will try everything!

jpmobius said:
So what do you do to get the dead cylinder back running? It is quite common for ignition coils of any stripe to quit once they get hot (or even just warm "enough" and then behave normally after they cool off. You have to have some pretty atrocious jetting to kill plugs that quick even with the original anemic (by today's standards anyway) ignition. 50gary has a good point, but 34's have pretty big bowls and likely you would have figured out that you were starving for gas as you would get that cylinder back pretty much straight away after losing it.
All I do is clean up the plug (which is totally drenched in fuel) then put it back in and it fires right up on two cylinders! Honestly I don't believe my jetting is that far off, I know for a fact that it is close to other peoples ported motors.

You are not using the main jets on a short ride unless you are hammering it, so let's go back a step. I can't remember if you tried swapping carbs from side to side to see if the problem changed sides. Or if you swapped coils side to side to see if that changed things, but those are cheap and easy to do.

Are the plug leads and caps new and tested?

If it is the jetting, try going down one size on the pilot jets just to test that theory and drop the needles to the top clip position and see if that makes any change.

Back
Top Bottom