RD250 Street Tracker

Stout

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have started working on my '73 RD 250 for the winter's project. I bought this bike about a year ago in a package deal with a couple of old Honda Superhawks I wanted to build. I'll try and post pics of the build along the way. here are some before shots... I'm sure this bike sat for quite awhile b4 I bought it, but I was able to get it running before tearing into it. - Stout

100_0478.jpg

100_0477.jpg

100_0484.jpg

I added this small tail section off from a wrecked Honda 1000RR. I had to do a little fiberglassing to blend it in, but it should look good after some body work (especially with the integrated taillight/blinkers) ;D. - Stout

RD-1-15-10004.jpg

RD-1-15-10005.jpg

I currently have more parts compiled than I do work done. but here it is with some different bars and the blinkers on. I probably won't keep the headache pad. - Stout

RD-1-15-10012.jpg

Not at all! ;D but this bike came with turn signals (unlike the Superhawk) so I figured to be legal... it should probably have em.

I got the forks painted and put back together over the weekend and started redoing the mounts for the battery (the smallest one I could find) and relocating the electrical components. - Stout

100_0005.jpg

100_0003.jpg

102_1245.jpg

The pic is just of some of the electrical stuff, I modified the stock battery box so I can tuck it right up under the seat. The battery I got is from Tucker Rocky, part number 49-9093 (12VX4L-B)... it is about $40 retail (dimensions are: 4.5" x 2.8125" x 3.375") It doesn't have much for cranking amps (45) but the bike is kickstart only, so hopefully it works. the thing is so small I can fit it in the tunnel under the tank!

Here are a couple pictures of the battery. And the new gauge I got yesterday from electrosport... It has a lot of functions, tach, speedo (hall effect sensor), blinker indicator, neutral indicator and high beam indicator.

Attachments

• 102_0915.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 559
That is crazy how much room you have under that tank. I've thought about doing the electrics reloc, but I always get stuck on the oil tank. It would be purely for looks, so it's not really vital.

I plan on just running premix, so no issue with the oil tank. I'll probably create some little bracket that'll hold a pint of oil on the bike somewhere, just in case your at a gas station that doesn't have any 2 cycle.

Here is what I've gotten done since last week.

Attachments

• 102_0926.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,697
Unfortunately I haven't gotten as much done on this project lately as I would like to since I have a couple of other projects in the hopper ('79 Sportster and an '03 Honda 400ex) both of which are complete ground up builds. I did get parts for the RD back from the powdercoaters today so I'll post some new pics this weekend.
- Stout

Stout said:
Unfortunately I haven't gotten as much done on this project lately as I would like to since I have a couple of other projects in the hopper ('79 Sportster and an '03 Honda 400ex) both of which are complete ground up builds. I did get parts for the RD back from the powdercoaters today so I'll post some new pics this weekend.
- Stout

I'd love to get a TRX400EX, swap out the swing arm for a bike style one (three wheel motorcycle) and make a trike to ride year around to school. They have the frame and suspension, just swap out or build a single wheel swing arm. If it's 4 wheels it would have to have a seat belt - don't want that - for DOT legality here in Ohio. A set of those small car tires on the front and some car meat on the back and I've got a budget "Spyder" type ride.

Maybe some day I'll do something like that...

Here are a couple pictures of the parts I just got back from the powder coaters. - Stout

Attachments

• 2-28-10 015.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 489
Here is a shot of the 400ex going back together... it pretty much just needs new fenders now (all black is the plan). -Stout

Nice build, ill definitely be following.
Considered sourcing disk brakes from a later model? not sure if they came out on the 72s..

No, it'd be nice to have some better brakes, but the drums look cleaner to me and I'm trying to save some cash on this build, so I'll be sticking with em. though, I am having a hard time finding new front brake shoes, the rears seem to be available yet, but no one is making any for the front... Unfortunately I do NEED them since the friction material has fallen right off from the shoes I have. Anyone out there with a line on a set, the help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Stout

One of two things.

Yamaha disc front brakes are so common between bikes you wouldn't have too much in them. You have to figure there were a bunch of RD and it is possible other models would fit too, if you can't get your drums taken care of.

Second, condiser going to a place that does brakes for trucks and stuff to see if they can help. I take it you have tried to get them from Yamaha. You might also try a vintage bike supplier or rebuilder. They might be able to cut and bond material to your shoes you have now.

I worked on the pipes today, I think they are coming together nicely. I still need to make some mounts and baffles for them. -Stout

Here are the pipe pics. Not sure what happened to my other ones.

5-19-10026.jpg

5-19-10025.jpg

5-19-10022.jpg

5-19-10020.jpg

5-19-10021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom