Woody's 1972 CL350 Brat-tracker Project Bike - Finished for now - Aug 20, 2010

Re: Woody's 1972 CL350 Brat-tracker Project Bike - NEW PICS July 21

I kinda like side covers on the scramblers. The pipes go right across that area on the left side, and in the interest of having it run well I'm running stock air-cleaners etc... This bike was too clean to begin with to really hack it up too much. In the interest of getting back on the road ASAP I chose not to do anything too radical like relocating electronics.

As for the seat I need to get the pan buttoned up and then I can talk with some upholsterers this week. I'm hoping to find a happy medium between black, and some thing really distressed. I'll see what the upholstery people think.

- Woody

Kev Nemo said:
Bummer you couldn't have put the battery in the rear tail section and done away with the sidecovers/glovebox/battery holder completely-would've looked super-tough. Really diggin' the seat. Did you do something other than black?

Hey Woody:

This is really looking fantastic. Well done. Is this the bike for your brother or are you keeping her?

--Chris

Hey Chris,

My bro and I are still working on the CM400 we scored for free... we'll get it done (when he has time) and then we'll decide if we want to sell it and re-invest in something else or what. He want's something a little bigger that he and the wifey can go two-up on a little easier. Probably CB550/750 or XS650.

This bike is staying with me... it has already been deemed the "buddy bike".

I need to get cracking on the seat tonight or tomorrow. I'm being hard headed and I won't fire it up until I have the seat back. Just how I am.

- Woody

motofiaccone said:
Hey Woody:

This is really looking fantastic. Well done. Is this the bike for your brother or are you keeping her?

--Chris

Aw-couldn't tell from the daylight pics if you were keeping the airbox. Good idea actually ;D

Sorry I'm at work, don't have time to search the thread- but I really want to know how you integrated that mesh onto your headlight??

Dammit man...you can't keep me waiting in suspense any longer! ;D

Is a headlight rockguard off a jeep, I got the extra one (since he got them as a pair) from a member of the Hondatwins.net forum. I basically took the headlight out of the rim, buy removing the left/right adjuster screws and then removing the top and bottom pivot pins. I used tinsnips to clip the rim of the rockguard off and a little more until it layed down into the HL rim nicely. Then I reinstalled the bulb. The pressure of the bulb against the guard is what is holding it in. It's freakin' tight... it' aint moving.

Hope that's clear. I didn't take pics.

- Woody

midnightcafe said:
Sorry I'm at work, don't have time to search the thread- but I really want to know how you integrated that mesh onto your headlight??

woody1981 said:
Is a headlight rockguard off a jeep, I got the extra one (since he got them as a pair) from a member of the Hondatwins.net forum. I basically took the headlight out of the rim, buy removing the left/right adjuster screws and then removing the top and bottom pivot pins. I used tinsnips to clip the rim of the rockguard off and a little more until it layed down into the HL rim nicely. Then I reinstalled the bulb. The pressure of the bulb against the guard is what is holding it in. It's freakin' tight... it' aint moving.

Hope that's clear. I didn't take pics.

- Woody

Brilliant! I'm gonna have to get on that ;D Thanks woody!

Patience grasshoppa. I am going to finish up the pan with a buddy tonight. Hope to get it to upholstery tomorrow. I don't know what the turn will be on that... hopefully not more then a week.

- Woody

valvesprung said:
Dammit man...you can't keep me waiting in suspense any longer! ;D

Quick update... but no pics yet.

Installed 11" shorty shocks tonight. Even thought they are .75" shorter then the redwings, they are way stiffer... and they're lower, so they must be better.

Seatpan was finished and is at the best upholstery guy in the area. Should be done this week. Hope to shoot photos next weekend.

Stay tuned kids.

- Woody

Woody, did you grab your 11" shortys from DCC?

Yes. Those dudes are awesome! Everyone should support them, they are great to work with and a forum sponsor... you can't go wrong with DCC.

- Woody

bww_mn said:
Woody, did you grab your 11" shortys from DCC?

Thanks Woody. Agree, DCC crew is great. I had a pair of shorties on order, but they were backordered for weeks. Good to hear they're back in stock.

- Brad

Re: Woody's 1972 CL350 Brat-tracker tweed jacket bike - NEW PICS June 19

woody1981 said:
Questions:

What bars?
Bikemaster Euro Touring Bars - Available from Dime City Cycles

What signals? Mini Billet Single Filament - Also, Dime City Cycles

Any changes done to the frame? No frame mods, but the damper-rods in the forks have been shortened (lowered) 1.5" and the rear shocks are 12" instead of the 13" stockers... might do 11" in the future. We'll see how it rides.

Woody, gotta say,

This is definite cool. One thing that is inspiring is that you didn't cut the frame. So many brat style bikes have cut frames. Since I'm in a state with very picky title laws, clean unmolested frames are worth money. Cut the frame? Lose the value.

So your tail section covering the rear fender tabs is ingenious. Did you have to bend it down to lay flat? On many, they curve up, exposing the fender tabs.

I plan to use many of the same styling aspects as your build, but with more of a cafe flare. Think cafe-brat.

We'll see how it goes.

Your build on the other hand is right on track.

Without further ado. Here are some pics of the final product. I really wanted some 70's period looking shots. I love them. If anyone wants more detailed shots I can snap them. But I'm super happy with the way these shots turned out. Curious to hear what you guys think of my choices on the paint etc... I strive for different, I think I got it.

A few more shots on my Flickr -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ictwoody/

New "Old Paint" by Josh Christy of VanChase Studio - VanChase.com
Seat upholstery by Scott Downy - Wichita, Kansas
Photography by Justin Ochs - justinochs.com

- Woody

4911433016_f769e0753a_b.jpg

4911432626_3935691661_b.jpg

4910829343_23ae4a865a_b.jpg

4910829125_1584a12bb4_b.jpg

4911430324_5927b28b3f_b.jpg

4910827655_c3a3d478cd_b.jpg

4911430746_0566baf86e_b.jpg

4911430882_7fd9d831d7_b.jpg

4910828367_fe36992882_b.jpg

4911431514_0f084c65e5_b.jpg

4911431716_15086fb8f0_b.jpg

4910827559_58ea745f8d_b.jpg

Another bike of the month; your best work yet. Really well done. I think the paint is amazing.

--Chris

Thanks guys. I need to get some shots of the two of my bikes together now. I love them both, but for different reasons. I think it's cool how much flexibility in how these little bikes can be styled... from cafe to tracker to bobber to brat.

- Woody

I'll be honest, as perfect and shiny as the resy of the bike is I would have loved an equivalent paint job, that being said I fuggin love the bike from top to bottom mate. Really stellar work and easily my favorite bike on this site, it just fits where I'm at right now for build styling.

BRAVO!

Thanks for the props Valvesprung.

Actually, I've had the same thought... but the one redeeming quality in real life is that even though its distressed, it's shiney and smooth as silk. But I'll let you in on a secrete. I still have the original tank and it's at my painters right now... he's basically buffing it out and adding a satin-black "panel" using the original side stripes as a guide, and hand pinstriping. He also did a set of my side covers in satin black. So I basically have two full sets of tins. This bike can change clothes :)

I'm gonna roll it this way for a while, maybe change it up in the spring or something.

- Woody

valvesprung said:
I'll be honest, as perfect and shiny as the resy of the bike is I would have loved an equivalent paint job, that being said I fuggin love the bike from top to bottom mate. Really stellar work and easily my favorite bike on this site, it just fits where I'm at right now for build styling.

BRAVO!

Back
Top Bottom