CB125: the mighty mite

Seatpan 2.0 turned out much better and much more comfortable. Layed down an inch of neoprene, then another inch of a much less dense foam. Added a new cover that I sewed the ribs into and glued it all together with some 3M 77 Spray adhesive. I also attached the fender to the seat pan, then the license plate holder/light to the fender. Just need to make a bracket for the new turn signals and hook up the rest of the wiring and I'm good to go!

.........dayyyyyum........................not bad for a 3 year project............................

Crap after reading through your build and looking at what I have to do to mine..............guess I have a few more years to go.

So, I'm not too far behind the eight ball. I'll be getting on it right away.

Bike looks great. I like it.......

haha, thanks. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to get this far... But I'm still happy that it is rideable and good-looking once again.

-jordan

Nice Job, might have taken longer than you have wanted but it was worth it. I have a little 73 CB100 that I am in the process of building. Still the process to get the motor to run, your project is definitely motivating.

Thanks for the compliments travisvisual.

A little update, it is cold as balls here in the middle of PA, but I finally got my headlight brackets. Lowering the headlight from the stock position will really look a lot better. Waiting on a somewhat warm day where I'm not too busy to put it on.

Those ears look good.

I finally got my cylinder bored to fit the piston.........................and I'm no where's near ready for headlight ears.

But, I have to ask.....where you ordered them from, for future reference.

Once again, your bike looks good.....has definitely gotten me motivated to do some work on mine.

Thanks! That is good news on the cylinder, what displacement are you going up to then? I got them off of eBay from WeBike. It is the SP Takegawa Headlight Stay. They were made for the Honda Monkey (a pit-bike looking thing) that has the same fork tube diameter. I probably could have found a cheaper alternative, but didn't want something big and clunky hanging off the bike or have to use shims to make it fit. Plus they shipped from Japan, so that adds to the cool factor haha.

Finished up making the license plate/turn signal bracket and mounted it today. Also put on the new headlight mounts. Waiting on a new front turn signals to match the rear. Also finished setting up the my new glass fuel filter.

Didn't do anything to it. I can't find a link to the thread, but I've read that people actually suggest going down a size on the main jet. I think I'm going to be back to the stock airbox soon though.

Edit: Back on page 2 it is suggested to lift the needle up one tick to help the carb run better.

Rimmy said:
Finished up making the license plate/turn signal bracket and mounted it today. Also put on the new headlight mounts. Waiting on a new front turn signals to match the rear. Also finished setting up the my new glass fuel filter.

Like to see some pics of the filter.

I am look to upgrade or replace my carb on my 84' CB125s, my old brass pilot screw was bent and snapped when I tried to gently straighten it.... all the Chinese crap on ebay is listed for the CB125s but is certainly not. I have split throttle cable and theirs do not. Any suggestions where I can find one or universal retofit that accommodates the split throttle cable. It looks like some of you guys upgraded yours or at least the air filter lol hope ya can help, desperate to ride!!

Here is a pic of the fuel filter version 1.0. I used some rubber grommets and galvanized steel to keep it in place, but I plan on redoing it so it doesn't look so shoddy.

Also I shortened up and cleaned up some of the cabling. Still waiting on the front signals before I can finish it.
Leftovers...

vikingpower, many of the universal throttle cables should work. On ebay, or vendors like dime city cycles they should be plentiful. Also you may consider a company like motionpro, you might be able to give them a call and tell them specifically what you need. They should be able to sort you out. I have to ask, why not just replace the screw? The pumper carb on the '84's and '85's are a pretty cool feature.

I replaced the front fork seals. There was gray goop and not much of it when I drained them. Now they have nice fresh ATF as per the manual. And they actually damp now! I also ran out of bullet connectors so I have to wait for the new shipment before the wiring can be officially finished. So close to finished!

Rimmy said:
vikingpower, many of the universal throttle cables should work. On ebay, or vendors like dime city cycles they should be plentiful. Also you may consider a company like motionpro, you might be able to give them a call and tell them specifically what you need. They should be able to sort you out. I have to ask, why not just replace the screw? The pumper carb on the '84's and '85's are a pretty cool feature.

Rimmy,

I have searched for hours online trying to find the pilot screw, no luck. I would be happy to just replace that. The cable is fine, its the carb itself I can't find a replacement of. I am trying to avoid the Chinese crap on ebay, besides the fact they are all mislabeled, none are the same model as mine. I know its Keihim PD...i think 17 model but I can't find that at all on the interweb.

Is it possible to put an aftermarket carb on, including new carb, throttle cable, and throttle grip? would I just have to match the attachment diameter? and then tune it as best as possible?

Vikingpower, if you're going to go the aftermarket route you should consider a Mikuni roundslide carb. A VM20 or VM22 is what you'd be after. They require only one wire linkage for the throttle, so nearly any throttle cable will do. You'll just have to measure for the length you want. You may have to shorten the cable itself, but a new brass barrel end and some solder should fix that up no problem. Check out the links below for more info.

CB125 projects that mention the VM22's:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=24813.0
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13876.msg274443#msg274443

Mikuni tuning guide:
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Brass barrel ends for shortening throttle cables:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-handlebar-parts-carburetor-end-throttle-brass-nipple-barrel-1-5mm-wire-01-0001.html

Too busy riding and dodging rain clouds to take any pics, but I finally got all of the wiring sorted out and got to spend a lot of time on the road with it today. I guess I'm sort of done with the bike. I want to redo the upholstery (again) but that can wait until the riding season is over. Will post pics of the finished product soon!

Back
Top Bottom