A CB360 Tracker Rookie build

I have the other float bowl. Didn't dig into them any further but I can pop a cover off and take a look. Definitely gonna need full rebuild.

If you don't mind popping the tops to check the rubber in those, that'd be great. Let me know what you find and what you want for them.

While waiting to hear, I went ahead a picked up a carb set off ebay that were cheap enough to gamble on. I got on an ebay kick and picked up a few other items. I have been toying with the stock fender a bit, and no matter what position I come up with it just doesn't work for what I want. So I picked up an SL350 rear fender. The back of my frame has been modified a bit, and the way it sits just reminds me of an SL tail. So I thought why fight it. I'm shooting for a bike that'll be slinging cow pies and rooster tails, so that fender makes sense. I also picked up a beater of a stock seat. I had a few extra CB750K seats, but I didn't feel like butchering any of them for this project. OH, and I picked up a motocross mask to do some bug blocking for me since I have a decently long ride coming up in a couple of weeks. More bike pictures to come soon.

IMG_20110816_185057.jpg

Rear fender came in today, so I did took a few shots for comparison with the stock one and I set the cheap seat I picked up on top. I plan on trimming the foam down to about have the thickness on the seat and wrapping it in pleated vinyl.

Stock

IMG_20110823_190939.jpg

SL350 fender

IMG_20110823_190633.jpg

Re: A CB360 Tracker Rookie build

While I didn't accomplish much this weekend on the bike, I was given a nudge by some of my SOHC4 brethren. A challenge was issued to/by promoter/rider of The Ozark Mountain Scramble (http://ozarkmountainscramble.blogspot.com/), Captain Awesome. He's building a CB350 for the 2012 run, and we are going to see who can get their twin running first. He's a much more enthusiastic fellow, so I'm going to have to step up my game on this now. I met up with the NWA Vintage Breakfast crew this Saturday and while this challenge was being hashed out, I was pretty much told that I was going to be entering the 360 in the ride. I have to now adhere to the rules of the challenge.

1) 1980 model or older - check
2) 750cc or less - check
3) $1000 or less to purchase and prep - I roughly now have about $200 in the bike and parts.

I whipped up a quick digital mock up of how I really want the rear fender to mount. The paint scheme is just what happened to be easiest tie it together in photoshop. It's sloppy, but what I kind of had in mind.

6094078392_88e1e464a8.jpg

I gots one of these CLICKY and a 5 3/4" bottom mount bucket that needs some love. The Dime City one I can give up for $30 since it isn't mine, but the bottom mount one you can have. It needs a new bulb and trim ring to hold it together. I gotta get some new batteries for my camera, so if you want pics it will be a day or so.

Thats what I got out of the context clues there, but I wasn't sure if "clicky" was some biker lingo I wasn't hip to.

After a worthless Labor Day weekend due to a sinus infection, I was motivated this weekend. I got around to going through my carbs yesterday. One of the floats looks questionable, but I'm going to try them as is.

IMG_20110911_100230.jpg

I also decided to toss the roughed out harness on the bike to see if I got the ignition setup correct. Success! It's throwing spark from both coils! Watch out, Captain Awesome. This beast is getting close to being a rider.

I pulled the harness back off for some tidying up. I have to find a good spot to hide the meaty bits. I figured since she's about ready to fire up I needed to mount the carburetors. The carb boots were pretty stiff, so I gave them a short soak in some boiling water. Presto carb-o.

IMG_20110911_152152.jpg

Looks like you are getting closer to firing than I am. I still need to track down some intake boots and some coils. Won't be long though....

I got aggravated last weekend due to a wiring mishap. I rigged everything back up with the carbs on the bike in attempt some fire breathing. Smoke caming pouring out of the rectifier because I did something really stupid. In my head I had everything as was on the previous ignition test. I won't go into to too much detail other than I was trying to rush it while the lady was off at work. I was defeated for the attempt, so I packed it up for the weekend and got back to doing honey-dos. I couldn't leave it alone, so I put it all back together after work today, immediately catching my mistake from before. It was both a eureka moment and a realization that I can be an idiot sometimes. I robbed a plug wire and the battery off my 750, squirted in some go juice and whammy!

I have no idea how to embed this correctly, so I'll just post a link.

http://youtu.be/mf_a2HgK3LU

I'm not calling this a total win since I didn't keep it running, but I feel a little better about the state of things. I know I'm going to have to pull the clutch plates still, and there's plenty of parts to acquire and fabricate.

Back
Top Bottom