74 CB360 City Bike

Jordan918

Been Around the Block
Found this scoot from a barn outside Wichita. Its an extremely rare and hard to find CB360 with a luggage rack and an acrylic, see through cushy seat. At least that's what I thought when I paid 350 for it back in October. Seriously though, this must be the most common bike known to man. Which is a good thing because it makes parts a breeze to find and the knowledge base is high. The following pics were taken back in October the day I picked it up.

46bd4ad9-c6a4-deaa.jpg
46bd4ad9-c6b0-65b9.jpg
46bd4ad9-c6ba-86b2.jpg
46bd4ad9-c6c5-c8c6.jpg
46bd4ad9-c6d0-d0ff.jpg
46bd4ad9-c6d9-1193.jpg
46bd4ad9-c6e2-4635.jpg

Additional photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/JordanHerron19/CB360?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSn4fSr48ukFA

You picked a nice platform to start a build with. This bike seems to have tons of followers. $350 dosen't seem to be a bad price. Looks like it's mostly complete minus seat. What are your plans for the bike?

Thanks interceptor, I think I made a good buy. Time will tell. The bike didn't start but it was fairly clean and it turned over. All the parts were there except the seat as mentioned and the kickstart lever. Clean title and a heap of extra parts that I might throw on eBay.

As far as plans, I've decided on what i would consider a brat-style city bike. Kinda sorta like a moto version of a fixed gear bicycle. Stripped down, utility focused bike for getting around urban areas. Here are a few of the bikes that have inspired this project so far. Should give you a general idea of what I'm hoping to achieve.

46bd49f9-5ace-d7a1.jpg
46bd49f9-5adc-5d7e.jpg
46bd49f9-5ae9-1bcc.jpg
46bd49f9-5af7-6255.jpg

Tear down over and done. The smell of penetrating spray and bloody knuckles are all I took away from this experience. Oh, and the desire to reassemble it as quick as I can before I forget how it goes back together.
46bd4ad9-c820-8c61.jpg

46bd4ad9-c541-6c1f.jpg

Rimshot! Pay no attention to the swing arm.
46bd4ad9-c5e4-b324.jpg
46bd4ad9-c5ef-1526.jpg

Last tear down pic. Lonely frame.
46bd4ad9-c732-440f.jpg

After much thought, I decided to powdercoat a multitude of parts on this bike. My dad is a professional furniture refinisher so I have free access to a spray booth, but for some reason I was set on powder. I guess I was just curious to try it out. This is what I got for 100 bones.
46bd4ad9-c89e-31c1.jpg
46bd4ad9-c8b2-d582.jpg
46bd4ad9-c8c5-98a1.jpg
46bd4ad9-c8d4-a44f.jpg
46bd4ad9-cb60-ab6e.jpg

Couldn't believe it. I did use my own blasting guy ($75) to insure that everything was very clean, but I still think I got the deal of the century. Couldn't be more pleased with how the stuff turned out. The hoop I welded on from the guys at dime city matched up pretty seamlessly too.

A few recommendations for powdercoating:
I will not remove the rear hub bushings anymore. I was told they need to come out because of the rubber. Next time I will paint the hub and leave the bushings alone. hardest part of the project so far.

If you aren't sure about a powdercoaters ability, take him a few semi difficult items and see how good he is at plugging and taping. There's definitely an art to it. I would think a good coater would also be a good blaster, but that may not be the case. Or, they may farm out their blasting.

If you want a quick job, powder the entire wheel as a whole. Yeah, you can no longer true the thing, but it will save a ton of time. I decided to polish my spokes and it took forever. Then again, i dont mind tedious tasks. Here's my progress on the spokes.
46bd4ad9-c977-5c23.jpg
46bd4ad9-c981-8b72.jpg

I bought a bench polisher but I found that some sandpaper and a jar of polish worked the best. Sanded them with 200, 320, and 600. Followed it up with some mothers polish and a terry cloth towel. I've read several articles on polishing. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the bench polisher.

That's a killer deal for all that coating! My guy charges $85 for one wheel. You definitly did well.

I completed the first step of reassembly today. Installed new bronze swing arm bushings. Great fit. They just tapped right in.
46bd4ad9-c9c1-2dad.jpg

In other news, I picked up my newly laced wheels from the Honda shop. It's convenient that it's only a mile from my house. They only charged me 160 total for lacing, truing, mounting new tires, and installing new bearings. The tires are both dunlop K70 18/4.00. They came from motorcycle superstore.
46bd4ad9-c9e3-c25a.jpg
46bd4ad9-c9ee-cf49.jpg
46bd4ad9-c9fa-ff25.jpg

DashGordan said:
I completed the first step of reassembly today. Installed new bronze swing arm bushings. Great fit. They just tapped right in.
46bd49f9-04f9-655c.jpg

In other news, I picked up my newly laced wheels from the Honda shop. It's convenient that it's only a mile from my house. They only charged me 160 total for lacing, truing, mounting new tires, and installing new bearings. The tires are both dunlop K70 18/4.00. They came from bike bandit.
46bd49f9-0914-1e42.jpg

46bd49f9-0999-1ad3.jpg

did you put the 4.00x18 K70s on front and rear? Are those stock size 360 wheels? Just curious how that front wheel fit on there- seems like it would be too large for the OEM front wheel.

Yes, both wheels are OEM. The tire fit nicely with the rim. However, I probably should have gone with 3.50 on the front because I'm worried that my fork gaiters may not fit. Hindsight 20/20.

let me know if the gaiters don't fit. I would be happy to take them off your hands. :) I am liking how fast you are getting this done. How is the engine coming along?

New shocks came in today. Well, they should have but I decided to go the thrifty route and restore the originals. Powdered the springs. Wire wheeled, sanded and polished the shocks and...voila!
46bd4ad9-ca41-61ff.jpg

By the way, all the powder so far is black satin. Hard to tell from the crap quality tapatalk uploads.

Rpino7 said:
let me know if the gaiters don't fit. I would be happy to take them off your hands. :) I am liking how fast you are getting this done. How is the engine coming along?

The Gaiters are yours if they don't work. They may be a little charred due to me throwing them in the fireplace out of frustration. Just add postage.

The engine's exterior has been degreased. That's about the extent of that subject. My goal right now is to get the frame rolling. I'm pretty good at making engine noises with my mouth, so that will suffice for now.

Did you soda blast the engine? or did you just clean it up with some water and a rag?
PM me if the gaiters do not work out maybe send me a pic.
Whats next on the build?

I just hit it with some 'engine brite' degreaser. Maybe 10 mins of hard labor. It still needs some serious TLC cosmetically.
46bd49f9-c09c-57cf.jpg

Completely open to suggestions.

Well, I hope to get my rear wheel on this weekend. I'm assembling the rear brake panel right now. Both trees are at the powder coater, so once I get those I'll be ready to get the front end going in the right direction. In the meantime, I'm gonna reassemble my forks.

If you want it spotless I would say soda blast it! :) Stay away from the sand blaster on your engine.

Back
Top Bottom