71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

My swingarm brace is going to be made out of 1" x 2mm thick tube with 22.2mm x 2mm supports.

14g should be fine as its about 1.9mm

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

Rock on, thanks for the info Neevo. I'm subscribed to your build and it's been a hell of a journey!

Oh and I'll ask again about where I place this shock. I put the rear on for an idea of about where it used to be. Not really sure if those are the stock shocks but they are so worn out they'll become art or something. Shouldn't change the initial stance much, and the Forks are going to stay about the same, so I "should" have about the same as stock rake etc. right?

And that yellow shock paint had to go! Got rid of the sticker and got her all silvered up!

44shockmounts_zps9450b982.jpg

MotorbikeBruno said:
Rock on, thanks for the info Neevo. I'm subscribed to your build and it's been a hell of a journey!

Cheers buddy, fingers crossed it works out ok!

I think you'll find swingarm arc is going to be just ok as you have it setup. If possible get a compass and draw a line around where the shock attaches using the swingarm mount as the centre point. Make sure it doesn't get the other side of the shock. If it does maybe look at lowering the upper mount a bit to fix the problem.

I didn't get what you were saying at first :eek: Now I get it. I've asked for a bit of help and realized that the tubing I was using was only 16gauge...so I went and got the proper 14 gauge today and will re-bend a hoop for it. I'm going to do multiple bracing points like a trellis frame style, so I should be OK. And I think I'll move the shock mounts so they are more forward instead of towards the rear just because of the forces applied to it (thanks Teazer for the info!)

I'll get on it later today (I hope) the wife is off early and I am fairly positive that she wants to hang out ;)

i want to chime in with some info i think is handy at this point.

i would place the 2 small pieces of iron that connect the shock to the swingarm at a different angle. i think its better to turn them a bit downwards, so that the oem shock mount holes, the new piece of tubing, the bolt and the shock are in-line with each other. The way you've mounted them now i think is not ok because you will have some huge stress torsion on the new piece of tubing. if you dont understand i can make a drawing. but i am on a new computer (imac 24" YAY!) and it has no photoshop yet...

That's exactly what I'm doing Bert! Thanks for the info! This was the beginning mock up, and I've been bouncing emails back and forth with Teazer on the subject and he gave me some great info. Neevo's build and many others have been helpful as I slowly get ready to tack the new rear hoop back in. I have to remeasure some things, rake seemed ok but I think the trail was too long (2.25inches or 133mm or so)

On a good note...I had an excuse to get rid of some of the twin-shock frame in the back...and shortly I'll tack the rear swingarm hoop in place, and re-mock the whole thing back up, hopefully with the correct mounting style this time!

Thanks for helping guys, I really appreciate the constructive input. 8)

45gettingdowntobusiness_zps5693152c.jpg

And here we go! Not exactly where it will be, must measure the sag in the rear again, and I still have to make a place for the front end to mount to. I'm also trying to come up with a way to have the top end of the shock have a slight amount of adjust-ability to it using spacers etc, but in the end may just leave it stay where it is, and change geometry by moving the forks up and down in the trees, or maybe by having me lose or gain some weight :eek: :eek: One thing I would also like to note, the wheel is mounted in as far as it can go, so this is the closest a wheel can get to the hoop, realistically it will be slightly farther back, as much as 1 more inch away depending on chain length etc.

Bert I think this is what you were referring to with the shock mounts correct?

46remockupshock_zps726862c1.jpg

47remockupshock_zpsd3403b43.jpg

Looks to me like you could weld in some gussets in the frame for your upper mount...then just make some spacers so it all fits snug.
Neat project!

Haha, yessir! Got one done, and took a break between this one and the second gusset. I'm getting more stoked on this build as the hours go by 8)

Have you checked all the clearances when the shock is fully "in"?? Might be a tight space between wheel and hoop...

Getting there Teazer! haha.

Bert, the wheel is slid as far forward as it goes in the slots. When I put the chain back on, it will not be as far forward as that, it will be 15-32mm back from where it is now. That should give me the needed clearance I hope!! Also, this shock will HOPEFULLY work, as it's made for a bike that was quite a bit larger and I only weigh a solid 155lbs (70 kg!) I don't think I'll be able to bottom it out if you know what I mean.

I was getting excited and didn't mirror one of the top shock mounts, so when I went to countersink the mount to make the correct distance, I did it on the wrong side :( :mad:

Fixing that and hope to have it welded in to do a ton more measurements! haha.

Bruno

I weighed about 155 when I started modifying bikes. Now let's say that shock would work just fine for me. If you take long enough, you will grow into it. :)

Haha, yeah, my dad had a smaller waist when he was my age...not so much now.... I'm only 27 though ;)

Maybe if I turn hard enough/give it enough pressure it will work to it's correct potential? ::)

I'll just add a ton of bracing in the back to make it heavier! Speaking of......here's how she looks as of now, haven't checked geometry yet, I'll get some numbers again Teazer after I throw the bottom end of the engine back in, and get it off the center stand.

48shockinstall_zpsd37e6bcc.jpg

And I started with an outside Front brace. If I remember correctly bringing it to the far towards the front of the swinger is better so I did just that. The other side will be put on next and so far, she's level and straight!

49bracingstarted_zps669b6e58.jpg

As I've been working on the engine right now, I found these great videos on Youtube of a guy going through a CB550 engine clean up etc. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzXWMk26zc

I am at the point where I am going to start cleaning up the head, I bought a valve compressor tool a little while back and this will be my first time actually doing anything with the valves. For now, I am most likely only going to swap out the old oil seals for new ones, unless I NEED to lap the valves. I've heard and read mixed reviews, and it seems that if they aren't pitted, no reason to lap them. Does that sound right?

Also, I'll get a pic up in a bit, but the PO nicked the base gasket area a little here and there, so I was wondering if there was something specific to use on that to make sure there aren't any leaks. I've got yamabond etc, and as far as I knew, the base gasket area has no compression, so it would be OK to use some sort of sealer there. Am I correct in this assumption? Thanks guys! Hope you had a great Christmas/holiday.

Here's those pictures I promised. LOTS of cleaning to do on these damn parts. He pinched the O-rings when re-installing, thus the leaking and other problems. I can only assume it leaked like a sieve, so he decided to goop up the ENTIRE engine. I'm a tad worried this stuff is everywhere in the engine at this point. I'll find out more when I get into the oil pump and drop the oil pan and get in there.

52enginepainting_zpsed82a550.jpg

ahhhhh clean again!
53enginepainting_zps430f2643.jpg

Prettied up again. After a LOT of cleaning.

54enginepainting_zpsef28ee50.jpg

Pistons cleaned up and re-installed.

51enginepainting_zps16db1a40.jpg

MotorbikeBruno said:
Prettied up again. After a LOT of cleaning.

54enginepainting_zpsef28ee50.jpg

Jesus! Nice work. What was the process? Or has it been painted?

Back
Top Bottom