CB450 Tracker

I got the exhaust bracket made up and installed and then painted the pipes in "pot belly black", which comes up pretty good. I also made and installed the end cap which holds the baffle in place. It just needs sanding and then polishing and it will be good to go.

Attachments

• DSC00250a.jpg
    DSC00250a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC00251a.jpg
    DSC00251a.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC00252a.jpg
    DSC00252a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 230
Thanks pj, it hasn't got the correct bolt in it yet as the pipes aren't done up tight at the front and need to come back a couple of mms further.

Attachments

• DSC00258a.jpg
    DSC00258a.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 227
Thanks Brodie, not too much more to do now, although I do remember saying that a year ago as well ;D ;D

Got my new brake lines fitted up. They were made by helperformance and are really well done, $150 delivered for the two with additional grommets seemed like a good deal to me.
I made up a little bracket for the front one out of some stainless steel welding wire. The speedo sensor cable can be cable tied to the brake line so that worked out well.
The rear one fits perfectly, just need to mount a couple of YZ hose clamps that I had previously and it will be good too.

Attachments

• DSC00265a.jpg
    DSC00265a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00266a.jpg
    DSC00266a.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 219
$150 seems pretty expensive to me but I don't know how well Australian dollar compares to US? I have stuff to make stainless lines but will only use it on my own bikes, too much of a liability issue (guess I've been living in USA too long now?)

Expensive, really? These are braided S/S brake lines, S/S fittings and banjo bolts, ADR approved and guaranteed for life. I checked the Spieglar site in the US and they are $82 for the front and $73 for the rear. $150 Australian is around $110 American so it sounds even better now. :D :D

crazypj said:
$150 seems pretty expensive to me but I don't know how well Australian dollar compares to US? I have stuff to make stainless lines but will only use it on my own bikes, too much of a liability issue (guess I've been living in USA too long now?)

a mate of mine used to work in a place that sold car performance stuff and they sold all the bits for making your own s/s lines for brakes, oil etc

i got all the stuff to make a pair of front lines for the vmax, had a proper mechanic make them up for me and was well pleased with the result until...

sitting on the freeway one night, slowed a bit to take a turnoff leaving it late so i could grab a handful of front brakes to tip in for the bend and all of a sudden,

nothing

the clamping nut had come undone, the line had fallen out and there was brake fluid dribbling out of the line ( somewhat similar to the brown fluid dribbling out of my pants)

this had taken 6 months to happen, still no idea why but those lines came off and nice new clamped up ones went on

DIY hydraulic lines are great as long as you've done them previously or can figure out a torque spec for chrome plated brass. It's very easy to over or under-torque the nuts. Too tight and they usually crack although micro cracks can take some time to become 'dangerous (I've done it and I have a good idea what I'm doing) Assembly is straightforward, slide nut onto line, 'flare' stainless outer, fit brass 'cone', insert line end into teflon liner, pull nut back over to fitting and tighten up. The stainless outer bites into the teflon and brass holding everything together. Only needs aboutt 1/4 ~ 1/2 turn after fully seated. The problems occur when the stainless outer gets 'trapped' and makes things difficult to turn so you can't really tell if your applying too much torque to nut. I've tried dipping end of line in brake fluid which seems to help but is messy. You can't use ordinary oil or grease. Wash line down with some alcohol, inspect for any cracks, fit and forget. It really sounds like your mechanic just over-tightened the nut and it failed when crack developed, 6 months of use, 600psi or so caused some flexing of the material and finally a failure. At one time I was a pretty good 'forensic mechanic' figuring out how and why things broke ;D

Got my chain guard mounted up today, it fits pretty well. I will powdercoat it satin black as it will be hard to keep polished if I buff it. Unfortunately next Tuesday I have to go to Vietnam for three weeks, back home for three days and then to Indonesia for four weeks so will miss the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride again this year, which is a shame. Not to worry, I never said I was a fast builder...

Attachments

• DSC00268a.jpg
    DSC00268a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 215
LOL, at least your building up frequent flyer miles ;D Got to work to have cash to play with bikes

Very true pj, I have a heap of f/f points and would love to go back to Mid Ohio, but this year I had to work. Maybe next year...

Pete12 said:
Very true pj, I have a heap of f/f points and would love to go back to Mid Ohio, but this year I had to work. Maybe next year...
Next time you go to Mid-O, we have beer for you at our swap spot. You have to stop by and drink it... all of it.

"drink all of it", hmm, as long as it's not a 44 gallon drum of beer it sounds OK to me Irk ;D
Edit: Sorry, 55 gallons for my American friends.

Yeah, the undersized pint and gallon threw me for a lop when I first came over here. Seemed like was drinking a lot more but actually about the same as in Britain. Having liter conversion made it more obvious (3.88L compared to 4.54L)

crazypj said:
Yeah, the undersized pint and gallon threw me for a lop when I first came over here. Seemed like was drinking a lot more but actually about the same as in Britain. Having liter conversion made it more obvious (3.88L compared to 4.54L)

How big is an English pint?

compared to a 16oz US pint. Time to change to metric system. Actually all my cars have metric hardware, so it's mainly politicians that are the holdup. That is no surprise. :)

Back
Top Bottom