Vintage Privateer Smoker (RD350 Race Bike)

Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

deviant said:
I use brass ends and braze mine. Braze sticks to brass like a mutha. Just brass rod, center drill and braze. Pretty simple.

Yep that's the ticket. Or this. I use it all of the time with a good paste flux. Use a propane torch on low. Have several bikes running cables with this. I'm like Eric though. I like brass ferrules. Teazer's bird's nest tip is spot on.

7899897656f159897c1be442c5ad1ea1.jpg

Also. Done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Re: Vintage Race Inspired Smoker

Well I cut the cable back and tried again, not only was it now to short but it also didn't hold. New cable on order, I'll likely leave it long for barber so I'm not bike less, but will have to get some brass bar stock and try again later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear plate bracket

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 877

I use 50/50 lead solder, a solder pot and some paste flux. You can even use cut off ends of 6mm bolts. The ferrule doesn't really matter, just has to be clean as a whistle, along with the splayed end of the cable. I clean the shit out of everything (dip in acetone n wire brush), flux it up, heat up the cable end and ferrule on the side of the pot til the flux boils off, and dip it in the solder.

3db099a16425a15f41311d337e69c3a3.jpg

I need to make up a cable for the XL this week, I will try to make a video showing the process I use.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Almost,

Gonna get some premix while I try to start it for the first time. Checked apart tonight it it was nice and blue. I've ended up just leaving the cables alone for now. They are not the most sightly but they work and there is enough other things to focus on

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 677

Sweet ! " love the smell of two stroke in the morning" haha , ya to-do list getting smaller mate soon gonna be a clear board I can't wait to see her all done you gonna be grinning from arse to ear keep going J .

Alright, so about everything is now done. Wiring got buttoned up, kickstart lever is bent (and my workbench was broken). Brake was bled. Ready to go to the upholster then back home to start and tune. Getting close

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    926.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    664.6 KB · Views: 268

Well, dropped it off at the upholster this morning, it'll be early next week before I get it back. That will give me about a day to actually try and get it to start. We may very well be working into the night at barber trying to get it running. It'll at least be together! May be pushing it up the hill at AceCorner

So the whole bike had to go because the seat cushion is going to sit against the tank right? too bad you didn't have a shit frame to put the tank and seat on and then keep the bike to test fire and tune.

Maritime said:
So the whole bike had to go because the seat cushion is going to sit against the tank right? too bad you didn't have a shit frame to put the tank and seat on and then keep the bike to test fire and tune.

exactly, I do have a spare frame, but this one has been so highly modified to fit the tank and seat there was no way to really make it work out. It should be alright, unless there is something catastrophic there is enough brains down there to make about anything work. Plus Neal is an RD pro...

If you can't get it right in Kiley's garage with the whole barber crew you are never going to do it ;D

Bike looks good, but we don't need no stinkin' seat to get a bike running..... I usually test run bikes without seat or tank. Just hook up a test tank and fire it up. Can't run too far like that but dyno tests don't need a tank or seat and neither do short trips around the block. ;-)

teazer said:
Bike looks good, but we don't need no stinkin' seat to get a bike running..... I usually test run bikes without seat or tank. Just hook up a test tank and fire it up. Can't run too far like that but dyno tests don't need a tank or seat and neither do short trips around the block. ;-)

It'll get test fired without a tank or seat, it was more about when the guy could get it in. I didn't have many options other than not having a seat for barber.

Got the bike back, tomorrow we will start trying to bring her to life

Attachments

• IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    834.2 KB · Views: 264
I can't wait to see this motorbike in the flesh. I guess it will be worth dealing with the weird Indy kids.

Back
Top Bottom