1973 cb350f lightweight cafe

I hope you don't plan on selling it and getting any ROI. At $10K in it you'll have a bike worth half that or less.

Well depends if you ask me or my wife lol. When I do a bike for myself it's to keep. It's also to show people what I can do.

One side to a rough shape, one to go

Attachments

• 20150808_181343.jpg
    20150808_181343.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 397
jag767 said:
Well I guess the question now becomes which front end I will be using, stock or something else? The 2 options I have looked at are very different, but both have merits.
I suggest keeping the stock (dimension) triples. The 33mm tubes are pretty spindly, but work fine with the rest of the bike. The Gixer front end will have much less offset unless you get custom trees made, so it is not exactly a no brainer - without the matching trees you get a noticeable geometry change. As far as the 8-10K budget goes - well everyone does things differently, but IMHO, that is a long way from an unlimited budget. I can spend that and not even get half of my wish list! On the other end you can put together a pretty decent reliable old bike for 1/4 of that - all depends on what you want!

Well I think most likely I will stick with the stock components, or a derivative of them. I'll bang out the top of the triple tomorrow, then clean up the stanchions. I'm thinking to clean up all the mounts I won't need on the lowers, no fender, and a tarozzi fork brace. Any sources for replacement springs?

Also I think 18x2.15 excel rims will work, with a 90/90 tire up front and not sure yet of out back. Leaning towards a 100/90.

Small win- aftermarket stanchions from David silver- last 2!

Also found excel aluminum rims for 75 each, and some decent aluminum clip ons for 100. Gotta love 6 months 0% paypal!

Got one side to "close enough" for now

Attachments

• 20150809_133757.jpg
    20150809_133757.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 381
Looks good - just saying .. :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171413835146&globalID=EBAY-US

1sttimer said:
Looks good - just saying .. :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171413835146&globalID=EBAY-US

Yeah I looked at those... the one I really like is $200 for the retro look, but I know how good these look shaved down so I'll same my $ on this one. It's one of those things that looks like crap right up til it's polished

1sttimer said:
Where'd you find Excel rims that cheap BTW

Amazon. I am still convinced I'm gonna get knock offs but it's shipped and sold my amazon so I'll give it a shot!

Cracked open the motor, the head is really stuck. Went around with a rubber mallet, block of wood with a dead blow, used penetrating oil, no luck. Any one have any tricks I'm not thinking of?

Or get the last 2 bolts under the #2 and 3 spark plugs lol. All apart now. Any work from here on out will have to wait since I go away wednesday. Mating surfaces are good, just needs a bore and hone for the new pistons. When I get back I will send out the head to get ported as well.

Well just got back from vacation, only a small update. The head and barrels are getting sent out, ordered all the components for the front end, and once everything is in I will mock it up. Every was ordered in raw aluminum, that way it can all easily get finished in matching powdercoat.

omgwtfbbq! said:
Which front end did you go with?

Stock. I ordered new upper tubes, and went with 1sttimers suggestion and picked up a new top clamp. The one I was working on was coming out nice, but I decided I wanted a more modern look. Also got new top bolts, steering stem nut, clip ons, controls, etc. Using a cb350 front drum brake, no more disc. Other than the upper tubes I got everything in raw aluminum, as I will for the rest of the bike. Once I have everything needed, it will all get powdercoated to match.

Been working on a cb350 hub I got off of fleabay. Someone painted it black, so I'm working on getting It back to raw aluminum. I used to be of the chemical strip and sanding mentality, but my new method of choice is an ultra fine wire wheel. Leaves very little pattern which buffs right out.

Back
Top Bottom