1973 CB175 "Lucy"

Cptpackrat

Well I picked up a 1973 Honda CB175 yesterday as a barn find. It has been parked since 83, or that was the last time it was registered. I have big plans to do a complete tear down, free up the motor and rebuild it, fresh paint on the entire bike, and hopefully have her done sometime before next summer. Lots of work, but I think I have the ability and the time to transform this bike. Big project for sure and plan to learn ALOT over next few months as I complete this bike.

Anyways here is the bike, missing a few parts, but I have already started to source what I need.
14469636_1315922045093928_2694385322889075448_n.jpg

Any pointer and help would certainly be awesome!

Well while Im waiting for room to unload and store the bike for tear down I located the first part I needed. A shift lever. I found the proper one on ebay and ordered it, it should be here in the next few days. Once I have that I can work on using the transmission to my benefit and slowly start breaking the rust loose inside the cylinder.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for ya. I had good luck freeing up the pistons on the XL with a 50/50 mix of acetone/ATF. Took about a week to penetrate, plus i shot a bunch of PB blaster in there beforehand.

adventurco said:
Looks like you've got your work cut out for ya. I had good luck freeing up the pistons on the XL with a 50/50 mix of acetone/ATF. Took about a week to penetrate, plus i shot a bunch of PB blaster in there beforehand.

Why the acetone? Ive never heard of that one. I heard brake fluid works well for penetration as well. I was gonna just fill the cylinders with MMO and let it sit for a few weeks while occasionally topping it off. I really need to drain the oil out as well, maybe fill the case with MMO. Not sure if that would be a good idea or not

Re: 1973 CB175 "Lucy"

Acetone is a solvent. It thins the ATF for more penetration and will evaporate and just leave the fluid

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Re: 1973 CB175 "Lucy"

adventurco said:
Acetone is a solvent. It thins the ATF for more penetration and will evaporate and just leave the fluid

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Huh, never knew that! I might have to go that route. I read the XL build where you had done that

The first part of the project arrived today. I got the shift lever so hopefully I can get it in gear and work on getting the motor freed up. Going to start the tear-down tomorrow and get the jugs filled up with ATF/Acetone per Adventurco's advice

14470561_1320788091273990_434999253643195556_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom