Car engined Bikes

pacomotorstuff

Coast to Coast
Car engined bikes - have you ever thought about one?
Seeing as my post on plunger-framed bikes has gotten everyone’s grey cells a-goin’, I thought that I might post another topic, namely, car-engined bikes.
This topic was precipitated by a conversation I had with one of my daughters today regarding a 1650cc, 4 port VW Beetle (the original one) motor I have collecting dust in a corner of the store room, remembering at one time, we were looking at stuffing it into a bike frame.
Anyway, over the years I’ve seen – either in photos, articles or in real life, the following:
Ford V-8 60 motor in an Indian four,
Ford 4 cylinder flathead – either a Model A or a Ford 9N motor – in probably an Indian four,
VW Beetle motor, anything from 1200cc on up including the early 4 cylinder Porsche motors, in a variety of bikes, a lot of them BMW’s but occasionally other stuff like the Indian shaft drive twin (the late Von Dutch built one) and sometimes with a 90 degree jackshaft, so a HD or other tranny could be used.
In fact, in Brazil in the ‘70’s, there was a motorcycle built called the Amazonas, which used a complete VW Beetle drivetrain. It was ugly, heavy and pretty slow.
Sunbeam Imp in solo and sidecar chassis – a number of hacks were raced at the international level back in the ‘60’s using various versions of these motors.
Austin Mini, solo and also the (in)famous John Cooper hacks(?) of the ‘60’s. I would so like to build one of those to run vintage, but I think they’ve been outlawed.
Subaru EA18 pushrod motor. A Dutch company offered brand new motorcycles using this motor, back in the late ‘70’s and I think into the early ‘80’s.
Corvair flat six. Everything from a single gear solo unit, to an automatic transmission trike and everything in between. Shaft drive and chain drive.
Munch Mammoth with the modified NSU car motor. A production bike out of Germany for a number of years.
And of course, there are (were?) the Boss Hogs with Chevy V-8 power. I remember seeing one chug through my town one Sunday morning – sounded like a fueler with mufflers. I believe the base model used the 4.3 liter V-6, but I’ve never seen one.
Then there was E.J. "Madman" Potter, who drag raced small block Chevy bikes back in the '60's.
The Moto Guzzi V7 motor started out as the powerplant for a light military vehicle designed to tow antitank guns I believe.
I’m know I’ve missed a whole bunch of bikes, so please add to the list if you can.
In closing, I guess the other part of this post is a question: could you make a car-engined bike that would handle – ie, corner, stop and accelerate, be practical and reliable enough that you could use it as a street bike and if so, what motor would you use?
Lots of stuff on the cerebral drawing board.
Pat

Ed Roth built a few show trikes using Crosley engines. Most notably The Mail Box.

I have a friend who has a Crosley engine and is looking for a Guzzi Eldo to stuff it in.

Then there is The Road Dog. I think its a Caddi drive line.

Over the years there have been a number of car engined bikes. One of the earliest I can remember is the late Norm Grabowski's Corvair engined machine.

The Amazonas was kinda chunky to say the least.

One of my favorites is Angus McPhails "Jade Warrior" Cosworth powered drag bike.

I met a guy at a rally about four years ago that had a Ford flathead on a bike! The way he described riding it didn't exactly sound safe lol

There are a few flathead Fords in bikes. The little V-8 60 makes for a neat installation. This one tickled me. How about a V-12 Lincoln=Zephyr?

I think this is an Alfa engine of some kind.

Attachments

• 0906690-R1-037-17.jpg
    0906690-R1-037-17.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 16,265
Dodge Tomahawk!!
download.jpg

Love that this guy is sitting on a Viper V10 in shorts and sneakers with no helmet ::)

theres a dedicated car engined bike rally held every year in holland, can't fins a quick link but i'm sure a few minutes googling would turn something up
a lot of them are diesel transplants and some of them are amazingly well finished, some look well dodgy though

Thanks everyone so far! Some of those photos bring back some real memories!
Speed, thanks for the reminder re: using Crosley car motors. For those of you who don't know the Crosley car, google it - short story, was a little subcompact built after WW2, in the USA, had an aluminum OHC 4 cylinder motor of pretty advanced design for the day. My uncle had a Crosley-powered TQ (three-quarter) race car back in the sixties.
BTW, also started on a Corvair-powered 2 wheeler but ...
Thanks again,
Pat

I have seen a few GM V8 powered Boss Hoss bikes here and there..

http://www.bosshoss.com/view_bike.asp?x=BHC3LS445

in poking around images, there is even a viper powered bike :eek:

Attachments

• viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 13,899
Brodie said:
I think this is an Alfa engine of some kind.

I have a magazine with a detailed write up on this somewhere in my boxes of rags. It is an Alpha, and it's really suprisingly well built for a home jobber.

Was it Allen Milyard that was the king of this kind of stuff?

8000 cc Viper V10 Engine. He's pretty active on the triple Facebook page because he made 5 and 7 cylinder 2 strokes out of the kawi triple base.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbUrIwA9jVE

:eek: :eek: A girls bike and a manly man's ride!

Attachments

• starter bike.jpg
    starter bike.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5,880
  • mans bike.jpg
    mans bike.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 5,828
I don't have pics, but there was a concept bike designed around the 2.5 Subaru boxer engine that looked like a bike that would be fun. I'll google it and see if it ever came to be.

Kickboxer

http://thekneeslider.com/kickboxer-subaru-wrx-powered-motorcycle-concept/

Doesn't look like it ever got built, but someone did this!

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/home-built-turbocharged-subaru-engine-motorcycle-on-ebay/9473.html

LOL

Attachments

• kickboxer-lg-4.jpg
    kickboxer-lg-4.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 226
Back
Top Bottom