Old... Van... Dying... Need Some New Bike-Friendly Wheels

Ribo said:
Well each to their own I guess. Do you not think the visibility is lacking? I guess i was used to a Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time.

I didn't have visibility issues at all. My current car is a mazda3 hatchback.

Another option is the Honda Element. The seats fold flat against the walls, and if you spill a little gas or oil in the back, you can just hose it down. I have fit TWO vintage Vespas in an element. And those things have fat asses.

Subaru Swallowed Another xs1100 today was able to close the hatch after the forks were off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 168
jsharpphoto said:
I didn't have visibility issues at all. My current car is a mazda3 hatchback.

Another option is the Honda Element. The seats fold flat against the walls, and if you spill a little gas or oil in the back, you can just hose it down. I have fit TWO vintage Vespas in an element. And those things have fat asses.

Yeah the Element is ok. My issue with the Flex I think was due to being 6ft 3in tall. It felt to me like an SUV that had been stepped on by a dinosaur - with me inside.. :)

See, I'm 5'9" so to me it feels like a slightly larger than normal car, that magically has a massive interior.

I think it may have the largest amount of cubic interior space to exterior size ratio of any non-van on the market. It replaced the old family station wagon, in a time when all real wagons are trying to either be a "hot hatchback" or a nonsense "crossover". Why can't they just be a wagon?

I agree with your wagon sentiments sir.

I think I did get a lemon from Avis cos the whole thing just shook at 60mph and whatever i touched seemed to just fall off. With my head touching the ceiling I think the lines of sight were just "out of scope" for me. Not my car - that's for sure but maybe I'm a bit harsh to write it off for others - especially hobbits - yeah hobbits would love it - they could fit a whole village inside. :)

Funny thing was, I was literally just thinking the other day that the Astro's lines really resemble the old Boogie Vans, without the giant gas suck.

No kidding, I was wondering how one would look with some metal flake, pinstriping and some fades. I betcha it could come out not bad ;D

I've always had a pickup truck. I wish the truck was lower so it would be easier to get the bikes in. Maybe I just need longer ramps.

Anyone just using one of the cheap harbor fright trailers? I think if I bought and sold more bikes I'd get one.

I've had my '02 Tacoma since it was brand new. It's my daily driver and has had more bike in the back of it than I care to count. It's not very tall and often the bikes were loaded by backing up to a ditch or something because I didn't have a ramp handy. It can get 24 MPG if I'm on the highway but sometimes as low as 16 if I'm driving around town. Bikes, women, friends, jobs, and living situations have come and gone but that truck has been there through it all. Can't say enough good things about it.

john83 said:
I've had my '02 Tacoma since it was brand new. It's my daily driver and has had more bike in the back of it than I care to count. It's not very tall and often the bikes were loaded by backing up to a ditch or something because I didn't have a ramp handy. It can get 24 MPG if I'm on the highway but sometimes as low as 16 if I'm driving around town. Bikes, women, friends, jobs, and living situations have come and gone but that truck has been there through it all. Can't say enough good things about it.

You have the v6 or the 4 cylinder? I'm truck shopping atm and trying to find something that gets decent milage and can haul some bikes

I have the 4 cylinder. Some days I wish I'd gotten the 6 since I hear it get close to the same fuel mileage.

You wouldnt get 24 with a 5VZE. Maybe 20 highway.

Ive been thinking about an AWD Astro Van 4.3L is a great motor. Enough room for camping/bikes. And 19mpg highway.

get something with a 2 inch hitch and get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IUV1CM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51XpAYGzlVL.jpg

Carrier works awesome 4 hours on the hwy a month ago carrying an sr250. not even a squeak. Put it on my jeep. Done. Just get some decent stainless or grade 8 bolts from the hardware store to replace the ones that come with it.

My S10 didn't get all that good of gas mileage with it's V6. Maybe 21 at the most. I'll give you 7 mpg and keep my Ram all day. I'd rather spend money on gas than Starbucks anyway.

My 2 cents on the Element.............can fit all kinds of things in it with seats up or out, personally wouldnt power wash the inside but easy to clean with vinyl flooring and CB400F fits in with handlebars dropped

Image1_zpsdaeba7d8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom