DWMS Racing RD350 Cafe Racer! New Gold Leaf Lettering And Graphics!

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Build! New Custom Frame Work Photos!

Looking amazing as usual Joe, you're definitely a very creative and talented builder and mechanic, can't wait to see this one finished!

Thank you Brother, your kind words and support truly mean a lot to me!

This build is killer! Keep up the good work my man! (even though it makes my fab work look like crap...haha)
Cant wait to see the finished product for sure!

joeyputt said:
...we felt that a nice gusset would be stronger and would also look nicer
I'm no engineer, but it definitely looks nicer.
In the immortal words of Justin... "I can dig it" ;)

Joe, you know I dig it when you stretch your imagination! Honestly, with what you and your customer have going it'd be a really short and potentially profittable step to simply cut away the frame cradle. Swap the cylinder head nuts for longer ones (McMaster) and fab up an upper head mount for your frame and tie it all together.

teddpage said:
This build is killer! Keep up the good work my man! (even though it makes my fab work look like crap...haha)
Cant wait to see the finished product for sure!

Thank you Brother, I am very happy that you are enjoying this build! Your craftsmanship is very nice as well and I really like the blue paint job you did on your CB450!

Redbird said:
I'm no engineer, but it definitely looks nicer.
In the immortal words of Justin... "I can dig it" ;)

Brother I am planning on building a few more gussets for the frame including replacing the factory stamped ones that are at the front of the frame where the original reflectors mounted, as well as in the corners below the top frame rail and behind the rear down tubes, in the corners below the swingarm mount and the lower cross tube, etc. so I am going to build them to match this gusset in design to keep the overall look of the bike clean and uniform so it should look nice!

Swagger said:
Joe, you know I dig it when you stretch your imagination! Honestly, with what you and your customer have going it'd be a really short and potentially profittable step to simply cut away the frame cradle. Swap the cylinder head nuts for longer ones (McMaster) and fab up an upper head mount for your frame and tie it all together.

Brother Swagger it is awesome to have you here with us man and you know I am a fan of your work as well! I love your idea and it would definitely be pretty sweet and easy to do however to be honest I have always preferred a full cradle frame. While this frame modification may add some bracing we really did not design this frame modification as a frame brace or to make the frame stiffer, if that was our goal it would naturally have been better to connect from the headstock to the swingarm pivot. You know when most people back half a frame they just cut the old rails out and add a new short rail from the rear down tubes to the shock point however we thought it would be a cool design feature to continue that bar past the rear down tube around the cylinders and to the front frame rail as a single piece as it adds a whole new line to the bike and incorporates the new frame rails as engine case savers.

True words, I am not one to question your vision amigo.....not by a mile..

Sometimes I need to be questioned Brother! Hahahaha! Seriously though man you know I have great respect for you and you are a true craftsman so I always enjoy hearing your thoughts and ideas.

It isn't very often I can have my interest held for long enough to read every post in a thread but I just did with this after seeing how organized you go about this. Just from your comments and reading what your next steps are going to be in a timely manner gives me some better ideas on which parts to keep track on at certain times during my build. I can't wait to keep reading, I've rode bmx my entire life and spent every minute building up road bikes and bmx's so I am able to bring a lot of it over but I still don't know a lot of the proper terminology for sections of a motorcycle frame, but builds like this rapidly fill me up with knowledge without having to bother others!

Awesome stuff, I'll be checking out your other stuff soon!

Brother Spindat thank you for taking the time to read all of this build thread so far, it is good to have you here with us! You are never bothering others man, we are all here to share knowledge and ideas with one another! I have been building motorcycles all of my life and I still try to learn something new every day if I can!

We have a lot of build threads here on DTT, here are links to a couple that you may enjoy!

We were very fortunate to be able to work with Brother Casi who is a member here on his Bridgestone restoration if you would like to read the thread there are photos from the day we received the bike, down to the bare frame and bare engine cases, and then all the way through the build to completion! http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32957.0

You may also enjoy this CB450 big bore engine build that we were honored to work with Brother Habanero52 on who is also a member here, it is also a complete build and there are photos of the engine we started with, down to the bare cases, and then all the way through to completion. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27633.0

We also just changed the DWMS Racing website to a new format and we added ten new pages! www.dwmsracing.com

Is your painter local to you?
By the way, I am CASI's dad and Joey has done an engine for me that is unbelievable!!!!!

bluesmokey74 said:
Brother Joe, I've seen what you can do with an engine and I look forward to seeing what you transform my jewel here into! I spoke with my painter today and we have some pretty "trick" ideas for the tins...... This little RD is going to be something special!

Yes. My painter is local to us. I use ARTCO Design out of Rehoboth MA. I worked with CASI and he's seen some of his work already on my HD.

I removed the front forks, triple trees, the swingarm, and the rims from the frame so that I could finish removing the rest of the tabs from the frame and start to smooth it. I was able to finish cutting all of the tabs off and I removed the stamped sheet metal gussets from the front corners of the frame as well so that I can build nicer ones out of steel plate to replace them. I also removed the kick stand and its mount so that I can rebuild it after we have the new exhaust here. This bike will not have a center stand so I removed it and cut the mounts off, the mounts for the center stand were originally part of the lower rear engine mounts so I will also be building a weld in plate to connect the lower rear left and right engine mounts to make them stronger.

000_0006-2.jpg

000_0012-1.jpg

000_0010-2.jpg

000_0011-1.jpg

000_0019.jpg

000_0021.jpg

I also cut the gussets that we will be connecting the new frame rails to the rear down tubes with out of flat plate steel and curved them to match the curve of the rear down tubes when you look at the bike from the side, I have not welded the gussets to the frame yet however here are a couple photos so you all can see what they look like so far!

000_0005-2.jpg

000_0014-1.jpg

Damn brotha! Frame is looking KILLER! You're doing a great job. This is turning out to be one legendary build.

Yeah I love the way that looks! cant wait to see it as a roller, that's my favourite look in the build other than completion of course

Thank you Brothers, having your support and hearing your kind words always inspires me to be more creative! We have a lot of cool features that will be going on this bike so I hope you will continue to enjoy this build!

Well I'll be... That is looking awesome! Makes me want to chop up one of my hondas and make them a cafe! Keep up the great work Joe and Bluesmokey you are going to have one bad A$$ machine when Joe is done with it. Hopefully I can see it in the flesh at some point when she is done.

Frame looks rowdy as Hell! Keep up the good work

casi85 said:
Well I'll be... That is looking awesome! Makes me want to chop up one of my hondas and make them a cafe! Keep up the great work Joe and Bluesmokey you are going to have one bad A$$ machine when Joe is done with it. Hopefully I can see it in the flesh at some point when she is done.

Thank You Brother Casi, you know there is always a bike lift open here for you!

Shred_McGnar said:
Frame looks rowdy as Hell! Keep up the good work

Thank You Brother Shred_McGnar, I am very happy that you like the frame design!

Back
Top Bottom