'76 CB550F Survivor: Preservation vs. Restoration

I love your bike, an enviable score. Your video with the old-timey filters was funny because you had a new car in it - do-over! Lol.

Very cool. I like that you are doing only the necessary resto on it. I would keep it period correct too. Great job.

Turns out that the emulsion tubes weren't seated properly. Especially on #4. Rick at OldSkoolCarbs hooked me up once again.
He also changed the O-rings on the main jets for some that fit better and let the jets and emulsion tubes seat fully. The aftermarket needle/seat valves are working fine. He checked and they are sealing properly.

I can't say enough about Rick. Luckily, he's literally within walking distance of my house and he's set me straight many a time. I don't know why I don't just take them straight to him every time. I guess I like to TRY to do it myself.

Check out his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oldskoolcarbs/485002854895718

He also sells on eBay from time to time, same username.

Even though the brake hoses had a 1975 date code, the brakes seemed to work pretty well. I was tempted to just run some fresh fluid through them and leave them alone.
I thought I could feel just a little drag, and I had new braided hoses from Slingshot Cycles and a new Honda caliper seal, so I figured "Why Not?".

Glad I did.....yuck....

Cleaned everything, deglazed the rotor, installed the new seal and hoses and put her back together. I'm by myself today, so I bled them best I could but really need another set of hands to crack the bleeder and make 100% sure all the air is out.
So far, so good.....seems to have made a difference just pushing it around the garage (it's raining, so no test ride). No more drag and the brakes seem firm.
Gonna let it sit with the handle bars at an angle and see if any more air works its way up top overnight.

Since we just got my GF's '76 400F back from a fresh engine rebuild, we decided to take the pair out for a spin yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom