80 XS650 Monoshock

MotorbikeBruno said:
Very cool. I'm assuming they have to strip the chrome then? Otherwise the thickness might change?

Nope. Just new tubes with DlC over the chrome. The thickness is something like 2 microns so it will not have any appreciable effect on fitment into the fork lowers.

Dyrden said:
Nope. Just new tubes with DlC over the chrome. The thickness is something like 2 microns so it will not have any appreciable effect on fitment into the fork lowers.

So cool. They really look great man.

Well she's on the ground now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 374
Fantastic! Well done fitting those calipers. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DohcBikes said:
Fantastic. Well done.

Let us know how it handles. Change shit if necessary.

Thanks guys! I'm still tweaking things. Swapped out the damper for a QA1 and that helped a bunch. Compression and rebound are set in the ball park for the rear end. Clutch and front and rear brakes work well. Working on tuning main jets but have ridden it up and down the street at this point.

Stunning job man. +1 on the fork tubes. Such a nice touch. The headlight set up came out great and the XS750 tank looks made for it. Will you give that a respray or leave the patina? Either way suits :)

DohcBikes said:
Fantastic. Well done.

Let us know how it handles. Change shit if necessary.

Got the idle and jetting pretty much squared away. Handling feels sharp but haven't been able to scrub the tires in and I'm sure I'll need to spend more time dialing in ride height spring rates and dampening. Once nice objective test: I have a stock XS and put the front wheel between my legs and twisted the bars back and fourth with very noticeable deflection. The XS tracker is far tighter with barely noticeable deflection. Probably mostly due to the fork brace. The stock XS did have the stock front fender as well.

Some really nice design and engineering sir. A lot of stuff you don't see everyday too. Nicely done! Any notion to add fenders?

Not really thinking about fenders too much. Here's a shot from yesterday after the DGR

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 341
Well a couple of updates:

I was cut off by a driver making a hard right turn from the left lane, while I was in the right lane. Bike and I took a pretty good hit when I low sided and fell on my right side. Right controls broken bar and fork bent and case is scratched. I missed a trip I was planning for a year. I ended up taking my cafe to barber instead since I couldn't ride much anyway. Turns out I won best jap cafe and best in show. My swollen knee and foot have gone down and just have some annoying road rash left. And oh yea need to rebuild the XS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,621
Dyrden said:
Well a couple of updates:

I was cut off by a driver making a hard right turn from the left lane, while I was in the right lane. Bike and I took a pretty good hit when I low sided and fell on my right side. Right controls broken bar and fork bent and case is scratched. I missed a trip I was planning for a year. I ended up taking my cafe to barber instead since I couldn't ride much anyway. Turns out I won best jap cafe and best in show. My swollen knee and foot have gone down and just have some annoying road rash left. And oh yea need to rebuild the XS.
That totally sucks man. It's my biggest fear that insurance can't replace my sweat equity and one of parts.

Hopefully you can finish the bike.

Back
Top Bottom