Down under, an idiot and a 400F

You need to go over it again with thread file and make a new nut about double the depth of original.
That way you lose a little adjustment but will always have some good threads engaging. Should be a lot cheaper than a new shock body or complete shock
...................oops, didn't read captions, after and before pictures confuse me ;D
Don't you have a toddler 'helping' you out now?

Hey PJ. The shock has been sent away this time to a local suspension Guru. I looked at doing it myself but didn't have the skills (needs nitrogen charging, plus I didn't want to ruin the threads further). Plan is to get a new deeper preload ring and also add a spacer to lift the ring onto a section where the threads are better. Fitting a slightly longer spring too which helps.

Correct on the toddler, plus also have a 11 week old too. Hence why the pace has slowed considerably.

Back in to it in earnest this year though. Plan is to have a running motor by the end of the year at the latest!

Oh, congrats on the second one, I don't remember you mentioning another was on the way?
Less work on bike means more rugrats coming along soon? ;D 8)

At last, a tiny update. My stacks came in from Steel Dragon. They are superbly made and fit like a glove with the rear shock mount, even a little room to spare:

The mount ring does foul the choke mechanism a little. Anyone know what's going on there?

I ended up lifting the rear of shock where it mounts to swing arm.
If you run through the range of motion I think you'll find you get a rising rate without linkages just because the angles and radius

crazypj said:
If you run through the range of motion I think you'll find you get a rising rate without linkages just because the angles and radius

Is that a bad thing? I have NFI?

There is a slight rising rate to the shock.

It wasn't a bad thing in my case, best handling CB'400'F I've ever ridden, almost on par with the Suzuki RG250 (parallel twin, one year only before RGV came out)
That would turn in on roundabouts at 110mph (almost flat out)

Just been looking through my 360 blog/build.
Are you going to get a spare front hub and machine it now you have a lathe? ;D
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.475

Probably won't bother. I was worried about the strength of the hub afterwards anyway. I may strip the wheels back down and have them vapour blasted at some point as polished looks like crap after a while.

Go on, machine ifront hub flat. It won't be any weaker but it will be a little lighter ;D

Guaranteed, if I pull the rims apart to have the hubs vapour blasted... They will get the lathe treatment too :)

Back
Top Bottom