1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

Be sure to take a pic of the thing before you pull the jugs off the piston. I cant even imagine how something like that would happen. it just plain sucks. sorry dude.

for what its worth, she sure looks nice in the pic.

Yea, I was all happy walking out of the Autozone with a set of hotter plugs in my pocket and decided to snap that picture.

So here's the thing - I've torn down the motor, and can't find anything wrong. The rings were all back in their proper places on both pistons. What the heck (other than way worn bores) would cause a piston ring to catch and hang up like that?

The only other thing I can think is that I dropped a valve seat, but the valves look fine! So strange.

J2T1z4Ol.jpg

sgNPzgpl.jpg

no broken rings and cylinder walls look good ?

mustve just been a weird optical illusion reflection shadow you were seeing.

and that will be a good thing. yes, i understand a pain in the butt. but a good thing.

Did you pull the vlaves out to check the seats?

No broken valve springs?

The metal ring on the head gasket is intact?

I was able to poke the ring with a screwdriver - believe me, I didn't trust my eyes either! The head gasket rings are intact - that was my immediate thought after I saw the rings intact.

The valve springs look intact, but I'll pop the valves out anyway just to see what's going on. I need to measure the bores of the cylinders as well.

You aren't using any, err, substances, that might make you, err, see things that aren't there?

No way the ring is out of the groove without the groove having been damaged.

I can't even speculate on what you were seeing, especially if you could manipulate it with a screwdriver..

I was only high on life ;D

All seriousness aside, I had a great ride, and pulled the plugs to examine them. I had to look about half a dozen times to convince myself, and even after I poked it with a screwdriver I still wasn't believing my eyes. I stuck a little USB borescope camera I have in there, and it didn't tell me much more as it couldn't focus that close, but it was what it was. My next step is to measure the bores with my fancy newish bore measuring tool (that I didn't have when I built this motor). Wouldn't it be funny* if the motor was bored out and I put stock sized rings in it?

*funny as in "time to start drinking"

The only way a ring could be sticking up and not cause any damage is if cylinders are more than 1mm overbore and you fitted stock pistons and rings?
I forgot you got 'new carbs :eek:

crazypj said:
You can measure that much oversize with a carpenters rule ;)

I was thinking he could simply pop the questionable ring off the piston and drop it right through the bore without touching the sides. ;)

Ring size wouldn't matter too much, there would need to be clearance around piston
Honda doesn't give a free end gap but new ring will usually expand enough to stay in place even on 2mm OS bore

Ok, data from measuring and poking today and some fun pictures!

As you can see, there's no obvious damage to the rings or piston:
sgNPzgpl.jpg

According to my boreometer (heh), the left bore is 2.6395". The service limit is 2.6417" and the "good" range is 2.6382" - 2.6386". So pretty close to good?
Ww6jC9Zl.jpg

Finally, my ring gap installed is 0.53 mm. The service limit is 0.8 mm, and the "good" range is 0.2 - 0.4 mm. So, close again?
T58RvsUl.jpg

Tomorrow I'll remove the valves from the head and make sure I haven't dropped a valve seat or something goofy like that. This problem really has me, uh, "ringing" my hands. Heh. Heh heh.

Worst cb650 ever said:
This problem really has me, uh, "ringing" my hands. Heh. Heh heh.
Buh-dum-Bump or Wha- Whaa-Whaaaa

ok i dont know a dang thing about what all is required when installing + .25 rings. Is there any actual machine work required when doing this? Or, simply a good hone and make sure cylinders are still nice and round?

you could order a pair and measure them up.

I mean really. Its only money.

I already ordered a set of new (to me) jugs, with good used pistons and rings, so I think I'll start there. This is so weird, I can't really explain what I saw. I still need to remove the valves from the head to make sure I didn't do something weird with a valve seat.

I did notice that the pistons have a good amount of play side to side on the wrist pin, but that should be normal, right? There's no detectable play up and down, just left and right on the rod, which allows the piston to center in the bore, right?

So damn weird. My brother and I installed the removed piston and its rings in the removed jug, and it fit snug as it should.

trek97 said:
Buh-dum-Bump or Wha- Whaa-Whaaaa

ok i dont know a dang thing about what all is required when installing + .25 rings. Is there any actual machine work required when doing this? Or, simply a good hone and make sure cylinders are still nice and round?

you could order a pair and measure them up.

I mean really. Its only money.

You file the ends of oversize rings to get the correct (usually minimum) gap in bore.
It's a PITA with 3 piece oil rings because they are so thin.
It can be done with a file but a proper gapping tool makes life a whole lot easier

http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/4288.html

You can get them for abut $30.00, this is just the first one I found online
Was the problem on left cylinder?
Looks like valve may have scraped the cutaway in piston slightly?

crazypj said:
Was the problem on left cylinder?
Looks like valve may have scraped the cutaway in piston slightly?

Good eye PJ, when the tensioner stopped, uh, tensioning, the previous owner spun the motor over enough to slightly bend one valve and nick the piston with the older valve. I smoothed the nick and replaced the valves - if we journey back to December 25th, 2012 in this thread, you can see the carnage. Note that the valve actually broke as I was removing it - it was not broke in the head:

v6fGll.jpg

crazypj said:
I don't remember what happened this morning, 2012 is light years away ;D

Dude, I had to dig back into my own archives to find this...can't believe this thread is so long...

360 threads never die ;D (mine was started 2009, still don't have 'blue bike done ::) )

Back
Top Bottom