Project GOLDWING, a 76 GL1000

I like the float idea. I am running a real tank too, ditched the false one and the tank under the seat and am going to redo the frame work to allow for a real tank. Will be sooooo much better.

Thanks for your input, its helpful!

Jachana

Project is moving sort of slow for now, but did make a seat pan which I will posts pics of once it on the bike with leather upholstery. I will make sure I get moving on this again soon. Updates soon.

Jachana

Some pics of where it is now, I got the seat pan made and need to cover it in leather, it is shaping up to have great lines!

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,913
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,916
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,916
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,927
I'm not feeling that shorty seat, but the monoshock and cleaned up frame have a lot of potential. Maybe it's the tank that looks a little awkward where it sits beside the down tubes.

I'd keep looking for the right shape of tank and then raise the lower leg of the rear subframe for a more modern look. I don't think it would work with a pure MotoGP copy but that sort of rear end might make it look more balanced and complete at the rear end.

If you photoshop say an M1 Rossi rear end on, how does that start to work? It would be a different concept but with modern wheels and forks might look really sharp if you can make the different style elements work together.
That would make it a MotoWing or GoldRacer or some such thing :)

Unless you have hollowed out that Kawa tank to use it only as a shell, you are going to need to find a new home for a lot of stuff that was hidden under the stock faux tank. from the looks of the monoshock, you aren't going to use the factory tank any more.... maybe Weber side drafts are in your future?

Hoosier Daddy said:
new home for a lot of stuff that was hidden under the stock faux tank.

True but he's not using the stock tank, so I'm guessing he could fit those parts in that area - meaning around the rear shock. He could fit sidepanels and with any luck he'd even be able to hide the shock too.

Hoosier Daddy said:
maybe Weber side drafts are in your future?
Oh yeah!!!

I quite like the gneral idea of the photoshoped seat. My personal favorite cafe Wing is the one on the photo, which I attach for reference. Details here: http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2012/1/20/78-honda-goldwing-cafe-racer-vyper.html

I'd agree though that the tank looks a little... wrong where it sits now. It seems it should be tilted forward a little. It could be modified from underneath or a more... user-friendly one could be sourced. The one off the CB750 or, even better, the CBX1050 comes to mind as those frames have a similar design in the tank area. I doubt any tank will be particularly easy to fit though.

Questions:
- What is that subframe off, a dirtbike? Honda XL comes to mind.
- And what bike is the shock off? What was done with its linkage mechanism (if anything)?
- Finally, you know Goldwing engines cry for superchargers, don't you? (just saying...)

Cool bike and I love the project though...!

M.

Attachments

• 21_01_2012_goldwing_cafe_racer_01.jpg
    21_01_2012_goldwing_cafe_racer_01.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 2,976
The Tank is from a Kawasaki 550, and that is the one I am going to use. I like the shape of it and how it sits on the frame rail on the bottom. The pics make it look a little awkward because at the time I didnt have some tabs removed yet but now it sits flush and frame rails look cool around it. I will take some better pictures so the look can be seen. Also there is plenty of room for most of the electronics to go under the seat, plus I am going to rewire and simplify the wiring so its only what is needed so finding a place to stuff stuff shouldnt be a problem.

I will start working on putting leather down on the seat and take some real pictures of how the seat actually looks. It really does look great on there.

Cuba- The rear subframe is off a Honda cr250r-not sure what year. But it is going to be bolt style so I can service the back area of the bike really well and get tot he back of the motor easier too.
The Shock came off of a GSX1000R and i like the adjustable part about the shock.
I would love to run a supercharger if I can find a cheap enough one, they are really expensive, any leads on that would be great. I am going to try and find a 4-1 exhaust for it, and will run a single carb setup-more on that later :)

Keep the questions coming and I will keep the posts coming too.

Thanks for all you guys help and knowledge.

Jachana

Jachana said:
I would love to run a supercharger if I can find a cheap enough one, they are really expensive, any leads on that would be great.

I can resist to anything except temptation... Can you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Mini-Supercharger-Eaton-M45-Works-/111043228868?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D6719861748558319809%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D330883356228%26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Cooper-S-Supercharger-Eaton-R53-Eaton-M45-/181111773700?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D6719863076705508960%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D251251709120%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-CORRADO-G60-G-LADER-CHARGER-SUPERCHARGER-GOLF-MK1-MK2-RALLYE-/261192874305?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3cd04ef941&vxp=mtr

It depends on your definition of "cheap" of course, but I could see 150 hp in your future...

And google is your friend. Enjoy:
randakksupercharger.jpg

2a9e458a.jpg

Randall2.jpg

new_manifold_1.jpg

M.

Suscribed
Cool project and very ambitious. I'm liking the progress so far. Like I said it looks quite ambitious especially compared to the ever so slight mod job I'm doing on mine. lol.
I'm kinda with the crowd not so much into the subrame but maybe for a different reason. I'd perfer to see the seat rails flat instead of the upturn. You've done the hard part and a it would be very easy to build exactly what you want and what fits. But that's just me and I can totally understand the desire to use one off something else. I'm from the school you have to please you and no one else so keep rockin on

All the pics posted so far the bikes are using a false tank (unless I've missed something). I've not had the chance to check what others are doing on single carb set ups but I've always thought a single carb set up had to be done with the false tank due to the lack of room. I could easily be wrong because I've not really paid attention. So maybe others have done it with a real tank too. Going to be very interesting to see how you pull it off. Very cool if you can do it and major props.

Some pics of the actual seat pan in place now. Just need to get it covered at the upholsterer. I like the look of it so far.

Troybilt- Thanks for the kind words and yes I am using a real tank instead of the false one. It will be easy to plumb.

Cuba Libre- now you just have me all flustered over these superchargers, i want one!!!!

I will keep the post coming soon.

Jachana

Attachments

• seats1.jpeg
    seats1.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,835
  • seat2.jpeg
    seat2.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,787
PROGRESS!!!!!

Got the swingarm all fab'd up for the monoshock. That is all done now and just needs final grinding before powder coating.
Got the tube in that will support the tank as well. Ground off all tabs and welded on supports where needed. Also finshed the rear subframe and sand blasted that along with the swingarm so thats ready for powder as well. Hoping tho make some good headway on the project now that all the metal fab work is done.

Keep you posted.

Jachana

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,359
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,429
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,298
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,291
more pics

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,338
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,319
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,368
Couldnt resist putting it back together to see how it looks. I love it. The ride height is perfect.

Jachana

Attachments

• IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 423
Back
Top Bottom