Re: Scott's 1974 CB360 project- She is alive!!

Re: 1974 CB360 project- lots of pics and progress - - not many comments :(

dp9 said:
heres how i did the steering stabilizer. mounted it on the right side with some aluminum angle iron, sprayed black. used two self tapping sheet metal screws with rubber/metal washers from lowes. on the tree, i just drilled a hole and put a nut on the bottom with some red loc-tite. I put the tank on, positioned it as close to the tank as possible, and then took the tank off and marked the position of the bracket (angle alum).

god, im a bad photog. im sure being drunk doesnt help. oh well. let me know if you want some sober shots of the setup.

Thanks, interesting. It is hard to see from that photo, did you use the factory position in the lower tree? I started to drill mine to tap it but have held off until I get a definite design.

Re: 1974 CB360 project- lots of pics and progress - - new question :(

OK, I have an issue I think.
I put the bike in neutral, rolls along but the kickstart is frozen.
Pull the clutch kickstart cycles but does not turn crankshaft.
Put in first gear pull the clutch lever and the kickstart will drive the wheel.
Put the bike in gear and pull the clutch, the bike will roll.
Put the bike in gear it will turn the crank when pushed.

I would pull the right side cover, I'm guessing here but it may be the kicker mechanism inside is just stuck?

SpottheDogg said:
Thanks, interesting. It is hard to see from that photo, did you use the factory position in the lower tree? I started to drill mine to tap it but have held off until I get a definite design.

I didnt have a factory hole for a stabilizer, so i drilled one in the tree that is as far to the back and as close to the fork as i could, while still being able to fit a nut on the underside. I didnt tap the tree, I just used red loc-tite on the nut.

dp9 said:
I didnt have a factory hole for a stabilizer, so i drilled one in the tree that is as far to the back and as close to the fork as i could, while still being able to fit a nut on the underside. I didnt tap the tree, I just used red loc-tite on the nut.

No, there is no hole but you can see where it is cast in such a way to drill from the underside. You'd see it's not symmetric.

AimSmall said:
I would pull the right side cover, I'm guessing here but it may be the kicker mechanism inside is just stuck?

But it moves freely when the clutch is pulled in, also I did take the cover off and it made no change.

SpottheDogg said:
But it moves freely when the clutch is pulled in, also I did take the cover off and it made no change.

Interesting, if you do this with the cover off it does the same thing huh? :eek: I guess I'd have to look at the bike to figure that one out.

SpottheDogg said:
No, there is no hole but you can see where it is cast in such a way to drill from the underside. You'd see it's not symmetric.

ok, here is what I would do. take the bottom tree off, put a nut in it (as pictured), mark the center, drill a hole.

IMG_20110327_013630.jpg

In your picture you can see the spot I was talking about, to the right of the steerer there is a flat bottomed circle. That's what I am drilling and tapping when I do it. I just didn't know where the mount to the frame.

I mounted it to the frame using the stock horn mounting holes.

pheeew! I got it, the cam chain was jammed. Everything is butter now. I don't have the head on, haha
Sorry for the bother

SpottheDogg said:
In your picture you can see the spot I was talking about, to the right of the steerer there is a flat bottomed circle. That's what I am drilling and tapping when I do it. I just didn't know where the mount to the frame.

ok im still a little lost (steerer?). i have seen guys mount them to frame on the front of the steering stem so that they go are positioned essentially parallel to the lower tree, instead of perpendicular as mine is. they just weld a little tab on there and drill a hole in it.

Re: 1974 CB360 project- lots of pics and progress - - gimme my parts :(

steerer= steer tube, just look in the very upper right corner of your picture. That's the damper mount location

so youre going to drill and tap the bottom of your steering stem. and that is going to be the mounting point for the stabilizer body or piston? The more I understand about this setup, the more lost I am. probably my fault.

Hey spot your almost done bro. I see you want to add a steering damper. I have been running around town in my 360 and dont notice the need for it. You dont really turn a motorcycle you lean it, so i see that damper being useless . You are creating extra work for yourself. Wait until you actually ride your bike and if you notice a need for it then go for the mod. you will saved time ,money,and most importantly is seat time on the blue machine ;D

stript.714 o/c said:
Hey spot your almost done bro. I see you want to add a steering damper. I have been running around town in my 360 and dont notice the need for it. You dont really turn a motorcycle you lean it, so i see that damper being useless . You are creating extra work for yourself. Wait until you actually ride your bike and if you notice a need for it then go for the mod. you will saved time ,money,and most importantly is seat time on the blue machine ;D

Exactly what I plan to do, just remembering the nasty tank slappers my 1983 CM450E had at 130Kph :-\

Engine is assembled, just need to set the valves and timing!!!

Re: Re: 1974 CB360 project- lots of pics and progress - - gimme my parts :(

Yes, I am planning to put a damper on both my CM and my GL, tank slappers seem to happen on these old bikes at Freeway speeds. And they make you almost Shit your pants. A damper just eliminates them.

glad the motor is buttoned up. I will have to make a ride up your way to see this bike in person....if it ever stops snowing Jeesh HEavy bloody snowfall warning tonight, mother nature is not nice for april fools.

Back
Top Bottom