Re: Scott's 1974 CB360 project- She is alive!!

;D Good stuff man, that always makes me feel better when they pop off with out much work.

Pull the point cover see if it still pops. The right side will ground out against it or be close enough to waste a spark on it once in a while. If it does either put another gasket on or silicon the fire out of the cap right there. May have to adjust things to get it off too.

The choke is needed because you have no back pressure on the carbs so they can't pull the gas needed until its running. The popping is a carb thing 90% of the time from un-synced carbs to lean fuel mixture due to changes in the intake and exhaust systems. The other 10% is mechanical, maybe the exhaust valve on that side is too tight or the timing is off.

Re: 1974 CB360 project- lots of pics and progress - - gimme my parts :(

SpottheDogg said:
SHE'S ALIVE!!! SHE'S ALIVE!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yewwwww congrats she sounds healthy Good feeling finally hearing them purr :D

frogman said:
;D Good stuff man, that always makes me feel better when they pop off with out much work.

Pull the point cover see if it still pops. The right side will ground out against it or be close enough to waste a spark on it once in a while. If it does either put another gasket on or silicon the fire out of the cap right there. May have to adjust things to get it off too.

The choke is needed because you have no back pressure on the carbs so they can't pull the gas needed until its running. The popping is a carb thing 90% of the time from un-synced carbs to lean fuel mixture due to changes in the intake and exhaust systems. The other 10% is mechanical, maybe the exhaust valve on that side is too tight or the timing is off.

Thanks again, what do you mean "silicone the fire out of the cap"? The gasket looks fine but I have a new one too. I had trouble getting the left point lead off the cap at first.
I rechecked the left valves and they were off, plan to re-check right side.

I meant throw some silicone in the cap to help insulate the point from the cap. I know this from experience because I had mine on with out the gasket and it was close enough that the wire would ground out on the cap. I put the gasket back on and the issue went away. Someone else I have talked with said they put silicone around the screw ends and the wires where they attach to the points and that solved their issue. It's really a crappy design because you can twist the plate only so far till they run into the cap.

The second gasket is just a spacer.

I think the points cover was actually off, I fired it one time when the left side was touching and sparks flew right out of the screw hole!

i had a problem with my points arcing to the cover. doubled up my gaskets and also smeared some permatex right stuff rtv around on the inside of the cover. no problems since. well, not with that problem at any rate.

I doubled the gasket and re-set the right side valves & no more pops. Still won't idle but we'll see once I get the mufflers on and get it warmed up a bit. It's inside my shop right now and stinks up pretty quick.
Kick-started her twice and both times sooo easy!!

Good work so far.

I just went through your build thread again. Somehow I missed your front fender paint the first time. It looks really clean. Great job man, sounds like your getting really close.

That's what I like to hear. ;D Tomorrow I'm getting my tires and tubes put on then she will be ready for a serious road test. Hopefully only slight card tuning will follow that.

Today's pics

My battery box and pods

IMG_6847.jpg

Lovin' the glass fuel filters

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

How much clearance is there between that battery box and the rear tire? It looks pretty close, especially if that tire expands at high speed...

saywhat said:
How much clearance is there between that battery box and the rear tire? It looks pretty close, especially if that tire expands at high speed...

It's only about 3/4", we'll see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom