Hello forum Here's my Bikes and I have a question

backwithabang

New to this forum, been lurking. Here's what I have running, a restored 75 RD200 for the lady, a 76 xs650 chopped to all hell, and an 81 CM400 brat that I couldn't resist because Prince rocked one in Purple Rain.

question to the XS guys running 38s and drags..What's a good ball park for mains, pilots, and needle slots in that type of setup, I'm currently fighting this thing, I'm either idling like shit or sounding great in the garage and bogging out around 3500 RPM on the road. The specs are Pamco with the normal coil, PMA swap with a capacitor (sparx) and Pandemonium exhaust, no lollipops or baffles

rd.jpg

sissy.jpg

current.jpg

I always suggest moving to Mikuni VM34's before getting into rejetting stock CV carbs. I have 34's on my XS which has little to no baffles in the pipes and a Boyer ignition. Can't help with the stock jetting but if you consider VM's let me know.

Welcome to the site - nice bikes!

Yea I was thinking of jumping into 34 slides. But I also hear nightmares of getting those right too. I just want the bike to run well. I'm not looking for speed with that bad boy, it would probably fall apart anyway. The other 2 bikes run like champs. The takei carbs on that RD are spot on and the 400 is rocking keihans, also dialed in.
That xs has been a total nightmare since I took the stock exhaust off it.

Re-jetting might help and with a lot of patience you should get it. My experiance with my XS650 is that they just dont like open exhaust too much. definate loss of power with no baffling. That being said my mikes XS shorty reverse cone mufflers are the tits. Loud as shit and the bike really likes em.

I have a set of tc bros mufflers still in the boxes. Maybe I'll try em out. May have to change up that exhaust a bit. I know that cm400 went from good to excellent with a set of lollipops although it's shit for the first five minutes now. But still for a notorious slow bike i managed to make that thing quick on the low end. However it still shakes like michael j fox over 90.

The rd runs best out of the three. It will buck you off the damn thing and can hit 60 between stop signs in the city no problem. I hears those old micron exhausts makes them insane but i haven't been able to find any. Heard they pop up on eBay.uk from time to time

Trying to get in touch with a friend about your jets. He had the same issue and I think he runs two sizes.

I got the evil beast working... Stock main jet, upped the pilot one size, dropped the needle, and threw some lollipops in the drags.

It likes to run on full choke for about 2 blocks, then half choke another 2, then no choke. Fickle little bitch. But she's running now.

Dropping this in as it has helped me over come my issues with CV type carbs. http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Back
Top Bottom