CM bobber - Been "lurking in the closet" so it's time for the first post

stylzracing

just turn the wrench
First off,
I love this forum! So much knowledge and ideas here. I have been stalking the forum for some time now and wanted to show you what i've been building. I traded my 77' kz650 with 6000 original miles on it to a close buddy for his cm400 and a handful of cash. I loved the kz so much i couldn't tamper with it... :/ So here begins the destruction and current rebuild of my new toy.

Stock 81 honda cm400 4100 original miles
cmstock.jpg

drop it
drop.jpg

chop it
chop.jpg

four inch stretch mock up
fourinch.jpg

seven inch stretch mock up
seveninch.jpg

nice tape huh?
seveninchmachup.jpg

bend the steel (tuff man style)
bendsteel.jpg

weld it
weld.jpg

lowers on
lowers.jpg

tops on
tackthat.jpg

hardtail rough finish
roughhardtail.jpg

somebody got some wicked white walls ;)
knarlywhitewall.jpg

white walls and seat just laying there for inspiration
inspirationsandshiiii.jpg

Current as of this post, seat mounted, tank mount welded, hung some spare clubmans upside down
seatwithbars.jpg

seatwithmockedfender.jpg

seaton.jpg

Hope this post works, not much of a forum guy....

trying to get her done in the next few weeks....lots of fab and finish work on the frame to do still and then hiding wires ahhh

Welcome to DTT. Good way to make an entrance! Love where you are going and I think the 7" stretch is about perfect. I also dig the whitewalls and white saddle. Tank flows nice too. What tank is that?
I was going to ask what you used to give the 7" stretch before adding the bottom rails but I just figured it out..I think. Looks like you used the passenger peg mounts to hold the axle?? Good Idea, I guess it didn't move or tweak???
Oh yeah, kick ass garage. Are you a volvo mechanic?
keep us updated if you would

What size/make is the front tire....bitchin little project by the way, the stretch is gnarly.

I can't wait to start my 400 bobber. Keep it up ,your givin' me some great ideas.

Thanks a ton guys!

@ troybuilt - i sold the original tank and purchased this one off ebay...pretty sure it is a 1980 cm400t tank. My bike was a cm400e. Also, good eye. I moved the swing arm bolt back to the rear passenger foot peg holes. Bored it out so the bolt would fit. Sort of my custom jig. The photos are taken at my work in the spare bay. Nice tohave access to all my tools and a warm garage !!! ;D I work on all imports here...but our main source of income is volvo's.

@ m357.5 - front tire was bought as a black wall with similar pattern to the rear WWW. I purchased white wall lip inserts for $13 and they look awesome. The tire is a Shinko 100/90/18 SR 712F.

@ - sebatron - got the fender from a craftsman on ebay. His store is called Front Street Cycle. I originally wanted a old ford spare cover as a fender....turns out everyone and their brother is selling them for minimum $50. I spent $75 on that new one that is a definate one off. :)

Thanks for all the input....more pictures today....slow goes it work wise up here in mi

WOW!!.. looks wicked!!... Welcome to the site!!...
I love the streatched frame and how you did it!!..

just wondering do you use any tools or anything to make sure that the left side tubing was exact as the right side part of the hard-tail?

with your metal working skills, you should build up a shortie Girder front end!!

Your really making me want to hardtail the old T250 Im getting ready to work on. I have tubing, and a welder...

@ loco leon - I measured twice, cut many times....lol. I had buily the left and right side tubing identical in shape and design. Turns out.....the chain was gonna rub. Originally i wanted to bring the uppers back parrallel to the frame tubing then kink them outwards and then back in at a wider width comprable to the swing arm. So.....i had to put the left side tube in a press @ work and squeeze a flat spot in it so the chain would clear. Makes the tubes look a lil different. It is my first build and i can already see how i will change things / process up on next project.

BTW - new toy arriving soon.....1980 XS1100 fir $200 bucks....think i found my racer!!!

@ VonYinzer - You should! Always loved those bikes. First motorcycle i owned was a 71' TS250....wish i still had it

Some better pics of rear for loco leon :)

chain clearance

chainclearance.jpg

see the flat spot on the left tube? Think this photo is a lil better than other rear photo

bettershotofrear.jpg

I love it man, this thing is going to look sick!
This has potential to be one of my favorite builds on here.
Great work!

The thing about this build I really like is the statement about finishing it off over the next few weeks.......you're not building, you're creating.....this is real creationism, not evolution like the rest of us experience..... ;D

Runningdog said:
The thing about this build I really like is the statement about finishing it off over the next few weeks.......you're not building, you're creating.....this is real creationism, not evolution like the rest of us experience..... ;D

Man this thing looks great!!!!

Keep it up dude!

Well, work was crazy busy this week. Happy about it and all yet all i accomplished was fabin' some foot pegs....looks like beer and busted knuckles this weekend. Gotta finish the rear brake lever and compensate for exhaust to run along the bottom of the hardtail. More pics to come... i have 3 sets of handlebars and i'm unsure of what to use. Thanks for all of the positive responses!!!! 8)

very cool man! welcome, and im in st clair shores, mi

a hardtail on THESE michigan roads....dang.that must be ROUGH. more power to ya though!

Back
Top Bottom