CB450 Tracker

Seeing that the paint is rough already. What about staying with a gnarly finish and lay truck bed liner on it?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Huh, never really thought about that Steve. I talked my brother but he's still keen on a nice gloss black.

Got my seat colour coated in Commodore sting red. I now need to rub it back and then stripe it in orange with white pinlines and then clear over the top. I still need to finish a couple of repairs to the tank and then I can do the same with it.
https://i.imgur.com/Gya7nfj.jpg[/IMG]]

I also painted the frame in black enamel, and it came out quite good, I think. Tomorrow I will paint the swing arm in silver and then assembly can start, who-hoo, can't wait.

Attachments

• DSC00187a.jpg
    DSC00187a.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 241
The Jimbonaut said:
Looking great man!
Thank you very much.
Got some of the frame assembled today, forks in, swing arm and shocks in, handlebars on etc. I am still prepping the seat and tank for final spraying, then I have to rebuild the engine, but that's not a big deal. Hopefully I can get it close to finished before I have to go back to Vietnam.

Attachments

• DSC00190c.jpg
    DSC00190c.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 252
I now have a rolling chassis. I need to finish the tank and seat and then I can rebuild the motor and install it, then do all the wiring. Not too much left now.

Attachments

• DSC00196a.jpg
    DSC00196a.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC00197a.jpg
    DSC00197a.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 263
Seat and tank in position, just need to finish the painting...

Attachments

• DSC00198a.jpg
    DSC00198a.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 271
JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Hell yeah, looking awesome! 8)
Thank you.

The weather isn't too good here at the moment so instead of painting I decided to pull the motor apart. I removed the stator and then went to the other side and found I did not have a tool for removing the oil slinger, so I spent an hour making one up. I milled the slots out and then welded it onto an old socket and it worked fine.
https://i.imgur.com/r4l61pv.jpg[/IMG]]
Once the cases were all apart I spent hours cleaning them up with degreaser and a power washer. They came up quite well, but I have a mate who has a water blaster so I might see if he can blast them for me. If I do that and they come up as well as I expect then I may just leave them bare, and paint the cylinder, head and sidecovers. I think that will look quite good.

Attachments

• DSC00200a.jpg
    DSC00200a.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC00199a.jpg
    DSC00199a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 246
My favorite build on here right now! Awesome work I love all the handmade parts. Did you do the triples on a cnc mill or conventional?

When the cases are wet blasted you may find 'shadows' in the surface from various things in the alloy. ( like it wasn't stirred up to make it consistent) Things got better over time but early motors can have a pretty nasty look, (like someone tried to paint it silver, after they had used brush for black paint ::) ) it's why Honda painted the top case silver

johnu said:
My favorite build on here right now! Awesome work I love all the handmade parts. Did you do the triples on a cnc mill or conventional?
Thanks very much. The mill is a knee mill with a CNC conversion on it so it can do curves, it just requires a lot of manual input.

crazypj said:
When the cases are wet blasted you may find 'shadows' in the surface from various things in the alloy. ( like it wasn't stirred up to make it consistent) Things got better over time but early motors can have a pretty nasty look, (like someone tried to paint it silver, after they had used brush for black paint ::) ) it's why Honda painted the top case silver
I dropped them off this morning (Anthony Gunter is doing them, for anyone that used to watch Aussie Motocross) so I'll see how they come back, worst case is I paint them so no problem.

I didn't really have anywhere to run my cables around the top crown, so I took it off and milled two slots into it. Once I had it finished I polished it back up and then re-installed it. It worked out well as the brake and throttle cable now have plenty of room to move when going lock to lock, and all the switch gear cables have plenty of room as well.

Attachments

• DSC00203a.jpg
    DSC00203a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC00204a.jpg
    DSC00204a.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC00206a.jpg
    DSC00206a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 233
Thanks, yes I did make the headlight brackets. The brackets themselves were easy, the clamps that hold them onto the forks were a little more difficult...

Awesome work Rats! Johnboy will be over the moon when this project gets completed & good to see you get him doing all the tedious stuff (sanding etc). Your extensive tools & machines make me jealous but I could not work with them like you do - you are a master craftsman matee.
Keep up the great work & look forward to seeing the final outcome.

Haha, thanks Slotta, it's getting closer now, just need to give up the day job.

Picked up the cases yesterday, they came up very nicely, but are a bit pitted, so a couple of coats of flat black should fix that up. Today I picked up the cylinder, bored by a local company to 0.002", so that, combined with the higher compression ratio, should work out good. I can now start assembling the engine ready to go back into the frame. After that it's just the wiring and rear exhaust mount and it'll be ready for the test run.

Attachments

• DSC00203 (2a).jpg
    DSC00203 (2a).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00202 (2)a.jpg
    DSC00202 (2)a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 220
I got my cases and cylinder painted today and, after some pre-rubbing on the cases, they came out very nice, much better than I had expected. I baked the paint on and after letting them cure for a day or two I can then assemble the bottom end.
I also stuck my little sticker on the swing arm haha.

Attachments

• DSC00202 (3)a.jpg
    DSC00202 (3)a.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00203 (3)a.jpg
    DSC00203 (3)a.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00204 (2)a.jpg
    DSC00204 (2)a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00206 (2)a.jpg
    DSC00206 (2)a.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 232
I got the bottom end assembled tonight. I replaced the bearing locating pins (Partzilla had them in stock for a couple of dollars each) so everything is nice and tight. I also measured the clearance in the conrods and they are well within spec and I checked the run out in my lathe and it was less than 0.001", so all good there too. The cases look good in flat black, although there is a bit of assembly oil on them that will clean up later. I tried a side cover, which is satin black, and it looked quite good against the flat black, so I'm pretty happy there too. I will assemble the pistons and cylinder in the next few days but I have to go back to Vietnam for a couple of weeks so I'll do the cylinder head assembly when I get home.

Attachments

• DSC001210a.jpg
    DSC001210a.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC001209a.jpg
    DSC001209a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC001208a.jpg
    DSC001208a.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 230
Got my cylinders assembled with brand new Wiseco pistons, ready for the head once I have lap the valves in and paint it. Also installed the starter motor, but I'll leave everything else off until I have it bolted up in the frame, as it will be a fair bit lighter that way.
I also installed the ignition switch, coils and horn, which all need to be wired up once I have the harness in place.
I polished up all the motor fittings and they turned out pretty good. I got a new style of buffing compound and it works really well, so I will go back over the previous bits and give them another hit too.

Attachments

• DSC00208a.jpg
    DSC00208a.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC00209a.jpg
    DSC00209a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC00211a.jpg
    DSC00211a.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00214a.jpg
    DSC00214a.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 224
This is coming on well.....engine will look super clean. Machine work is ace.

I'm contemplating my engine cases and what to do with them...thinking black case with vapour blasted covers could look sweet.

Back
Top Bottom