'76 360t build, 4yrs to the day and it's finally done!!!!

rawfish

Coast to Coast
So, I picked this bike up a few months ago for $50 and figured it was time to get it back on the road. The original plans were to cafe it out. Then changed my mine when I saw the troybuilt bike. That bike just kicks ass!!!!!

IMG_2554.jpg

So, this the day I picked her up from the original owner.

Re: '76 360t bratsyle build.......

IMG_2815.jpg

All stripped down and ready to loose more unnessesary metal.

hell i would strut it slammed like that! looks killer, on mine i cut the seat pan and dropped it 4 inches, moved the support forward 4 inches... slammed that sucker...
ha ha ha cool build bud!

Man the PO rode the seat cover right off that thing. ;D Really cleaned up nice. This will be cool to follow. Keep us posted.
Your cafe in the back ground rocks!

Hey bud, Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated. Can't wait to watch this thing come to life!

I was actually looking at your cafe build the other day, rawfish, and I love it! Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Now I'm on the hunt to look for another project...

Thanks guys for the comp. That just gets me amped up to see it come together.

Looks really good. I assume it is slugged? don't forget to drill it so you can weld the sluggs in place. You don't want them to be moving around. Looks like you chamfered the ends too. Really nice job. Time to Tig her up.

The slugs are in place and the swingarm will be getting tigged soon. I didn't realize how easy this mod is. Thanks!

She is looking good. If that was the easy mod it should be cake from here. ;)

rawfish said:
The original plans were to cafe it out. Then changed my mine when I saw the troybilt bike. That bike just kicks ass!!!!!

On a side note, Troy, you and "Kylie" may just be responsible for a sudden lack of prime mid sized cafe material. I may have to invest in the vintage 350cc - 400cc vintage bike market with all the great builds you guys are spawning.

Hey Cresent, love these small twins. Easy to work on and they will surprise ya on the road. Remember that is comming frrom an old washed up soul ;D

Good, it really is an easy mod, but it has to be done right. It has to stay in alignment and it has to be very strong. I think 5" is about the limit before it would need to be supported and braced. Also about the limit before a chain tensioner would have to be used. It is simple but makes a big impact. i love the lowered stretch it gives. I think a good rule of thumb would be if you are uncertain get a professional to help.
On a side note If i were to do things different I'd weld a reverse hoop inside the upper seat rails instead of going straight across at the shock mounts. It would allow me to lower the bike another 2 inches.

troybilt said:
On a side note If i were to do things different I'd weld a reverse hoop inside the upper seat rails instead of going straight across at the shock mounts. It would allow me to lower the bike another 2 inches.

After tacking the swingarm I sat the bike on the ground and wish the bike was much lower.....

agreed! i build every kind of bike under the sun... and my swing arm is going to chris... he did a fantastic job on troy and i was blown away...

Raw, get diff shocks, or cut a coil or two out of your stock shocks now!

If you are running stock shocks you can lower it more with rebel shocks. that will slam it pretty low. I've considered doing that but I would have to remove the kick stand because it hangs down so low. One other thing that has to be considered is the height of the exhaust.

Yes, yes, 5" is as far as i would go without bracing it for sure...looks like you're well within those limits. The main thing, and I can't stress this enough, is to make sure you build a jig to get the final welding done. When that stuff gets hot, the arm can tweak, and even a fraction of an inch can mean that you're never going to get rear wheel alignment right. like Troy said, it's an easy mod, but it just has to be done right.

It's looking good man, what are your other plans?

Oh and Troy, that's a great idea about the reverse hoop for lowered bikes with suspension....very cool.

And Crescent, your imagination is your limit bro. It just takes lots of staring at the bike, and lots of your wife bitching. Ask me how I know? ;) :D

sorry JRk beat me to the punch :D.
The stretch should give enough room for the seat to set in front of the tire. the only issue will be the seat rail brace. But I like the idea of shorter shocks. By changing the geometry the shocks need to be a little stiffer anyhow, imo. So I'm not sure if not sure if the rebel shocks would be stiffer than stock. Just a thought.

And yeah, the reason you see so many hardtail bobbers is because you can get them so low without having to work around a variable articulation in the rear of the bike....The never "squat" back there, so clearance under the rear of the frame rails remains at a constant. Just run high pipes like Troy and you should gain an inch or so...but looks at Troy's side stand...he's about maxed out that stock mount! Haha! I love that little stand!

Edit: Oh and whatever you do, don't use the hard struts...something about the ride on those things is more brutal than an actual hardtail...I think the frame articulates too much since there's too much room for "swingarm sway" with bolted in hard struts...They really vibrate a lot.....Ow...my kidney!

Back
Top Bottom