1979 CB750L. My first cafe/brat project. Denver Area

esmoojee said:
Or find an r6 starter clutch and do swap that will outlast the motor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJSUiXDim8 I did it on my 750 and never had another problem.
Thanks. He didn’t mention what year range R6

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The Jimbonaut said:
Looking good fella, feels great getting the hoop on! Glad you found someone to make it for you, looks perfect.

And damn I'm jealous of your weather.
I looked high and low for someone local but they all wanted close to $150. I just went on amazon and bought one for $30 and had to tweak it just a tad to make it fit but not much. I’m finding Colorado has some crazy weather swings. One day it’s sunny and 55° then wake up to snow. Then two days later it’s sunny and still in the 50s.

I was hoping to be further along by now but it’s been hanging around 15°F (-9°C) during the day. I got a little grinding done on the hoop welds and got the basement warm enough to get the first coat of primer. I’m using Eastwood 2K Aero-spray epoxy primer. It looks good so far.

Attachments

• IMG_9364.JPG
    IMG_9364.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_9365.jpg
    IMG_9365.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 56797955553__46641DA0-2BA1-4776-A3D6-EC1E83BD89A3.JPG
    56797955553__46641DA0-2BA1-4776-A3D6-EC1E83BD89A3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_9372.JPG
    IMG_9372.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 333
Paint is done! Time to hang the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_9686.JPG
    IMG_9686.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_9685.JPG
    IMG_9685.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_9689.JPG
    IMG_9689.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_9688.JPG
    IMG_9688.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_9687.JPG
    IMG_9687.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_9684.JPG
    IMG_9684.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 304
The Jimbonaut said:
Looking great

Thanks man. It’s a slow process because family and work take up most of my time and the bike gets a few hours a week at most. But with winter fully settled in now it’s forced me to take my time and not rush because I can’t go ride it anyways. I think I’ll end up with a nicer bike because of it

Starting to look like a motorcycle again. Sadly I won’t have time to touch the bike for the next three weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_9780.JPG
    IMG_9780.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_9863.JPG
    IMG_9863.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_9858.JPG
    IMG_9858.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG_9860.JPG
    IMG_9860.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_9861.JPG
    IMG_9861.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_9862.JPG
    IMG_9862.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 303
May I ask how did you fit the engine into the frame? I myself is working on a similar bike (1980 CB750F DOHC) and on the stage of mounting the engine. I will have a friend coming this weekend to help but I wonder if it possible to do it solo.

enterlance said:
May I ask how did you fit the engine into the frame? I myself is working on a similar bike (1980 CB750F DOHC) and on the stage of mounting the engine. I will have a friend coming this weekend to help but I wonder if it possible to do it solo.
I took the engine out while the bike was on the center stand and used a motorcycle jack and a few pieces of wood to support the motor then slid it out the right side.

To get the motor back in was much easier because the frame was by itself after painted it so I had the motor sitting on the table and just lifted the frame onto the engine. Both times I was by myself.

Attachments

• IMG_3507.JPG
    IMG_3507.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_9855.JPG
    IMG_9855.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 289
Paint turned out great man. I understand the struggle of having to paint in a basement in the winter.

jordandogtown said:
Paint turned out great man. I understand the struggle of having to paint in a basement in the winter.
Thanks. I started the first epoxy primer coat in the basement because it was 3° then two days later it was 62° and blue skies so I finished up out in the garage. Denver has some crazy weather swings.

V10Pilot said:
Thanks. I started the first epoxy primer coat in the basement because it was 3° then two days later it was 62° and blue skies so I finished up out in the garage. Denver has some crazy weather swings.

I hear ya, same way in Kentucky. I'm trying to force myself to wait until Spring (although equally unpredictable) but it's going to be tough.

How easy did the epoxy go on? I haven't had any experience with it in aerosol form before

Looking great. I have high humidity which makes a getting a smooth finish very difficult. Really enjoying, keep the pics coming

V10Pilot said:
I took the engine out while the bike was on the center stand and used a motorcycle jack and a few pieces of wood to support the motor then slid it out the right side.

To get the motor back in was much easier because the frame was by itself after painted it so I had the motor sitting on the table and just lifted the frame onto the engine. Both times I was by myself.

Thanks! Got the engine in (with a friend's help though). It wasn't that hard at all, just needed another person to help out lining up the bolts as I don't wanna scratch the frame paint. But you are so good and strong enough to do that yourself! Much respect.

It’s been a while since I was here. The part number for the r6 is in the comments section of the video I shared.

jordandogtown said:
I hear ya, same way in Kentucky. I'm trying to force myself to wait until Spring (although equally unpredictable) but it's going to be tough.

How easy did the epoxy go on? I haven't had any experience with it in aerosol form before
The epoxy primer and paint laid down very well. It was about 55°F and 20% humidity but the the guy I called at Eastwood said I should sit the cans in warm to hot water for about 15 minutes before spraying. I’m very happy with the results. I cleaned the surfaces well but didn’t smooth out factory imperfections in the metal so any small bumps or ridges are from that not the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 287
Man that turned out so good. I didn't think about the warm water trick. I'll definitely try that when I get there

Back
Top Bottom