1986 Suzuki gs1150ef locomotive

It pulled very very smooth today. So must be those lovely 1150 cams :) It's definitely 30 yrs old and not a modern sport bike but I like it.

You might want to check the stator wire plug,sometimes they get hot and melt and it blows/cooks the reg/rect. & stator;I used to check all the Suz. stator plugs and either clean them or replace them.I also would recommend spraying WD40 or other anti-corrosion spray around all your engine-to-frame metal to metal mounting points and then loosening and retorqueing all the motor mount bolts to be sure your engine is solidly electrically making a good ground connection to the stator.
These big Suzuki's did have a habit of regularly burning up charging systems.

Weapon, thanks for checking in :) I was able to get all that stuff swapped out and it's been on the road. Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately my battery was dead the other night when I went to start it but it is fine, so now I'm the lucky chap who gets to diagnose an electrical issue. Thinking the r/r is toast but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok give this a read. there is a ton of valuable info on our beloved Suzuki charging systems in there!

http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers1.php

there is a ton of txt but there is also a couple of quick tests and a trouble shooting guide that you will find invaluable. I guarantee it.

So I have been going through the charging system the last couple nights. The following picture is a loose wire coming out of the rectifier. Not sure where it connects to. I had a manual for this bike but I can't find it anywhere. Any chance you guys have an idea? Have I ever mentioned I hate electrics.

6be56063ffb6013b4c4caf1c5bfb95f7.jpg

I tested the stator thoroughly this evening and it seems to be fine. Putting out 60+volts on all three wires. I cannot find any sort of lead going from the r/r to the battery though. The only thing off the positive terminal currently is the lead to the fuse box. I feel like that isn't right?

Where does the red wire go to? (the one that is connected). Some reg / rec units have 2 charging wires.

Normally, the charging wire off the regulator goes back through the wiring harness and then back through the fuses to charge the battery. It's a common mod on a lot of bikes to run this straight to the +ve battery terminal through a 30A fuse.

C90_OEM_R-R_WIth_Mod-3.jpg

ABCanuck said:
I tested the stator thoroughly this evening and it seems to be fine. Putting out 60+volts on all three wires. I cannot find any sort of lead going from the r/r to the battery though. The only thing off the positive terminal currently is the lead to the fuse box. I feel like that isn't right?

Good :) I was hoping your stator was still good.I would get a good oem Suz. wiring diagram and go from there.

Ya I'll have to track one down. The red wire vanishes into the wiring harness. So unless I take it completely apart it will be tough to trace. Theoretically I should have 14 volts or thereabouts coming from that wire correct?

Back
Top Bottom