GPS locator / tracker

doc_rot

Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
My neighbors bike got stolen the other day, and while I park my bikes indoors it makes me want to get a GPS tracker, as I frequently park in sketchy areas for work and school. I was looking at the Tile locators but I find it strange they never mention you can use it for locating an automobile. Does anybody have any experience with a tracker?

The Tile has a very limited range. Something like 50' or so. Most people can see/spot there vehicle within that distance. They have the capability to network with other Tile users, which is nice, but you have to rely on other Tile users to be in the area where your missing vehicle is.
I have no firsthand experience with it, but I've heard of people activating cheap smartphones on their cell provider, and using it as a "locate my phone" type tracker. All you have to do is hardwire the phone/charging cable to the bike, hide it, and activate the GPS locator on the phone. A determined thief would eventually find it, but then they'd find the Tile as well. It'd catch the "joyriders" though.

LoJack. You can get it for motorcycles and even classic cars and trucks. In Philly, it's almost a must and your insurance is discounted for having it.

Was just on the Lojack website and they say they're not selling product for m/c's anymore - but "still support the existing infrastructure" - or some such.
The website also says they are re-evaluating the motorcycle market and may re-enter it at a future date.
Pat

I found scorpion GPS trackers but they are $300 plus you have to pay a yearly subscription. there are some cheap GPS trackers on amazon but they all run on batteries and also require a subscription.

Back
Top Bottom