A FUCKING HUGE RANT

beachcomber

TJ - Beachcomber
DTT SUPPORTER
After loosing my telephone service for most of March, and the Internet sporadically for the same period - I lost my PC to what is known as "The Mexican Virus".

Some evil cunts in Mexico target those of us who can't afford to upgrade the abandoned Windows XP [ thanx a fuckin bunch Microsoft ].

Lost the fuckin lot .................all my documents, files and most of my pix. ALL my e-mail address contacts [ those who do, please do again ].

PC is shot - needs stripping the hard drive and starting over. A pal loaned me an old lap top, which has taken me ALL day to connect to the Internet, due to it having been last upgraded in 2009 ! OH YES, plus I'm the World's worst computer dummy.

They also tried to wipe out my bank account [ on-line banking - secure??? -NO FUCKINWAY ], fortunately saved by the fact that I've got a fuck all overdraft facility.

And just when things were swimming along nicely ...................................

Oh yes - I was in Photobucket when the virus worked it's way in.

Shit fucking sucks, I'm pretty computer savvy feel free to hit me up when you need help.

This is the funniest shit (Mexican Virus, I Google'd it and nothing comes up) I have heard in a while, Microsoft gave everyone enough warning about XP, it was blasted all over the internet and news about the potential problems.

Cafe_to_go said:
This is the funniest shit (Mexican Virus, I Google'd it and nothing comes up) I have heard in a while, Microsoft gave everyone enough warning about XP, it was blasted all over the internet and news about the potential problems.

That's the hole point CTG -Their advice was - "go out and buy a new computer and programmes" .........not on my bloody pension.

Thanx for the offers guys ....................

BC, I thought the same thing, (MICROSOFT) "Thank you for being a loyal customer, either spend a lot more money or FUCK-OFF!". That makes the competition look a lot more appealing.

Oh common, Xp has been around for 12 years and you expect Microsoft to still support it? 12 years in computers is an eternity, how many things do you buy is supported that long? I fully sympathize with BC. losing all his data because of these virus assholes but don't see how that is Microsoft fault.

4eyes said:
That makes the competition look a lot more appealing.

Got my first Mac IIx in 1988.
Got my most recent Mac Mini in 2012.

25+ years (and counting) and I've never once had any kind of virus, worm or trojan. I don't install antivirus software and I've never turned on a firewall. Every one of these computers was connected to some kind of network, be it a modem, token ring or high-speed.

I simply will not tolerate any tool that takes more effort to maintain than use for productive tasks. That goes for computers as well.

-Deek

Microsoft protects puts more effort into hardware protection, while Apple puts more effort into protecting software. I was exclusively PC based until 2005 and I will never go back. Replacing hardware can be expensive (I just replace a logic board for a pretty penny because of a little coffee), but you never lost data or get viruses. You can dunk a pc-based computer in the tub and it will still run, but spend 20 minutes online without a firewall or virus software, and you're screwed. What really cost more in the end? Sorry it happened brother.

Haven't had anti virus on my windows machines in the last five years and haven't had any issues. Sometimes I ran a virus scan when people don't believe me and nothing has come up ever.

You could have just installed linux. You don't use the puter for much than surfing it appears. And it does that just fine.

Free. Zero. Zip. Nada.

xb33bsa said:
4.5 ::)
no shitwhistles, twatwaffles or threats to fuck someones mom

sorry about yer luck,mate

Gotta agree, BC, I expected better from you. Must be that old laptop keyboard.

;)

Take the hard drive out - even though the files may appear to be gone you can most likely recover most of them so dont use the drive for anything else - there is software out there to comb the drive and rebuild the old file index and recover the old files...

Hey Manfred,
Chill Bro'.
We all get effed by these things. I finally broke down and bought a new laptop last October after the desk top and then the lap top became so infested, they were unusable.
I have more firewalls and anti-virus shit on it than you can shake a stick at, a back-up hard drive memory that starts saving as soon as I'm booted up and... yes, you guessed it, had to have the damned thing into the shop last week to get it debugged.
The only comment the IT guy said to me was, "You're damned lucky you didn't activate that program...".
The other comments about Mac and Linux seem to be accurate. My daughter's Mac has been relatively trouble free and one of my friends flogs Linux.
Good luck and try to calm down.
Pat

ILoveThumpers said:
Got my first Mac IIx in 1988.
Got my most recent Mac Mini in 2012.

25+ years (and counting) and I've never once had any kind of virus, worm or trojan. I don't install antivirus software and I've never turned on a firewall. Every one of these computers was connected to some kind of network, be it a modem, token ring or high-speed.

I simply will not tolerate any tool that takes more effort to maintain than use for productive tasks. That goes for computers as well.

-Deek

you ran a 16mhz computer for 25 years? I had one and it had 4mb of memory...

Not that I am a huge Microsoft fan, I actually don't even own a computer anymore just a tablet, but the reason Microsoft has so many virus issues is that they are the biggest and most prevalent in the market. If you're writing a virus would you write it to infect 10 macs or linux boxes or 1,000,000 Microsoft computers. If mac or linux had a larger market share their issues would be similar

pacomotorstuff said:
Hey Manfred,
Chill Bro'.
We all get effed by these things. I finally broke down and bought a new laptop last October after the desk top and then the lap top became so infested, they were unusable.
I have more firewalls and anti-virus shit on it than you can shake a stick at,

a back-up hard drive memory that starts saving as soon as I'm booted up and... yes, you guessed it, had to have the damned thing into the shop last week to get it debugged.
The only comment the IT guy said to me was, "You're damned lucky you didn't activate that program...".
The other comments about Mac and Linux seem to be accurate. My daughter's Mac has been relatively trouble free and one of my friends flogs Linux.
Good luck and try to calm down.
Pat

I hear what you're all saying - old dog very new tricks .

yep, bought one of those external disc / backup thingies 2 years ago - and forgot all about it half way through last year !!

My beef with MS as to leaving some of us in the crap [ those who can't afford the latest wurzlegrommet ] - is that the protection ended abruptly - albeit with ample warning. Hey it's a good job we're not customising computers instead of bikes eh ? Imagine if you couln't fix your Bonnie or Dommie AFTER 12 YEARS OR SO !

Oh yes, yesterday got even better - I started resolving the problem first thing and worked on it all day - forgot to take my meds and virtually collapsed with all the excitement by 10.00pm.

Just a new photo server required now - I'm too nervous to go back to Photobucket.

Have you checked out Google+? It's what I use for all my photos. You can sync it to specific folders on your hard drive any any time new photos are added, they're automatically uploaded. Any photos at or under 1280x1024 are not counted toward your total space allotment. There's even an option to automatically resize your photos during the upload process such that they're always under the limit.

Sonreir said:
Have you checked out Google+? It's what I use for all my photos. You can sync it to specific folders on your hard drive any any time new photos are added, they're automatically uploaded. Any photos at or under 1280x1024 are not counted toward your total space allotment. There's even an option to automatically resize your photos during the upload process such that they're always under the limit.

Thanx for that mate - I'll check it out. Especially as things are finally moving forward and reaqdy for pix. That's what I was trying to do when the virus struck.

Back
Top Bottom