Help this ham fisted fool.

carefully use a bolt extraction tool to pull them out... buy new bolts.. :)

Islandstar said:
PRAY....had a bad experience with screw extractors!!!!

Yes, me too, in my experience the key is to drill the screw first about 1 5th of the way down with a very small bit and get that hole as close to center as possible being very careful, so the extractor has something to bite into, then use an extractor bit that's the right size for what you're trying to remove -- and take your time.

I'd say the threads are stripped in the head, rather than the bolt broken off.

Anyway, helicoil if it's the first scenario, weld a nut onto what's left of the bolt if it's the second.

Any auto parts store should have/be able to get them. If not, a quick googlification will yield hordes of online retailers selling them. Ebay too.

I've always just drilled the entire head off, removed the cover and then used a vice grip to back the exposed thread out.

Oh, will the nightmare never end? Heli coil was so easy. Then, I went to reinstall the cam bearing caps and... broke a bolt off inside the head. Yes, that's right. We were a couple of days away from leaving for our first ever family vacation when I did this. The day we left, I was frantically disassembling the head to take to my machine shop as soon as we got back. My manual said the head could be removed with the engine in place. Wrong. The head would not clear the backbone. So, the engine will have to come out. Wifey was pissed that I was working on the bike instead of packing! I'm trying to enjoy myself at the beach, but in the back of my mind, I know what lays in wait for me when I get home!

Back
Top Bottom