Krazy Katana

I'm in California, but the bike is from Washington. I'll look up a non-CA model for the line.

Yep, that's what confused me ;D
Ca. models have a carbon canister and a vacuum line to purge it
Haven't actually worked Ca. model since around 1989~90?

I found a cheap petcock on eBay, but it's missing one of the brass outlets. Is there any way a new one can be pressed in or replaced? I'd rather get this one for $20 shipped than $62 shipped for a new K&L one

You can't get the outlets as repair pieces but if you have the old tap it is possible to pull them out and fit to 'new' tap

Good to know. I found a working one of a 750 for $45 that works though, so I'm just gonna get that. Crossed part #'s and it should be the same.

Checked the right carb and... voila! There was the vaccum line routed towards the ground like a drain tube. That would explain my high idle, correct? Petcock is bought and should be here by saturday, hopefully she will be up and running this weekend!

Cool, hope that cures your problems
cool.gif

I think only the early ones were different. 750 is about 2" longer swing arm, seat slightly higher, different handlebar mounting.
Can't remember if suspension springs are different?
I believe the 1998~2007 versions were all '750' chassis just a smaller motor, carbs, etc on 600.
98 ~ wheels are wider so more desirable/expensive
I know 750 is at least 20mph faster than 600, seen over 155 on clock but no idea how accurate it was? ;D

For some reason I feel like the clocks are misleading on this bike! I distinctly remember cruising down the highway at right around the speed limit and cars passing me pretty frequently. Whether that has to do with people speeding or my speedometer is to be determined, guess the only way is to either get a GPS speedometer or ask a cop to clock me?

Majority of car drivers will be about 7mph over the limit, except when everyone is doing 80 ;D

Well, kinda good news.
Heard the bike run for the first time about 5 minutes ago. It'll kinda idle with the choke on, wont really respond to throttle, and will stumble and die with choke off. Gas tank is pretty empty, so I'm gonna go buy a gallon or so just to check that isn't it. Also am going to play around with the idle adjust screw, since it seemed to help a bit. Anyone care to send me a pic of what the different petcock positions are? My fairings were painted over and didn't have them, so I'm kinda guessing here.
Side note, started designing a bracket setup so I can use a chopped CB400 Rear Fender as a fairing of sorts.
Any ideas on the running issue? Sound like fuel? Tested for spark and am getting it strong on all 4, and just charged the battery. Unless my rings just disappeared over the past month and a half, I think the compression end of my engine should be fine, unless it was on its last leg before. God I hope I don't have to tear in to this engine.

Carbs won't gum up in a week, I'm in Florida and it takes at least 3~4 weeks ;D
Arrow on fuel tap straight down is reserve, pointing forward is priming position, don't leave it there but it's OK to get bike running
Pointing towards back of bike is normal running but you'll need minimum of 2 gal in tank for it to work right
Most of the time I run reserve, unless I just filled up

Cool, good to know! I've been running it arrow down, seems to be pulling fine since there isn't much gas in the tank.

So, I think carbs are in my future. Thinking back on it, this thing hasn't actually run in a couple of months, so I wouldn't be surprised if they need a little bit of cleaning. I REALLY don't want to pull them, but I think that'll be me weekend project. Someone convince me otherwise, or it's going to happen

Oh, and tomorrow I should be able to get in the shop and make the headlight mount/fairing bracket. So, some fab progress should happen soon ;)

CALfeRacer said:
I'll try it. Sprayed a little carb cleaner in the intake and didn't help much.

That won't do anything. Seafoam mixes with the fuel and cleans out all the jets and passageways inside the carbs as the bike runs.

Having said that, nothing is as good as taking the carbs off, removing all the jets and blowing the passages clean with compressed air and carb cleaner.

Well, got to the shop and headlight is mounted! Also got crazy with an angle grinder to make the start of my fairing. Debating mounting options, but it'll work itself out. Debating going with the CB headlight (no pic) just cuz it has flat sides to mount on, unlike the bottom mount that has side mount holes drilled in on an angle. However, I don't have a headlight ring for the CB and I'm cheap ;D
u3ejuhy7.jpg
gynagu3e.jpg

Holes on the top of the fender will be filled in, just a heads up!

Back
Top Bottom