Suzuki GS550E '78

Rattle can paint job finished, just needs polishing off.

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,461
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 312
the 66 really balances that left side...
nice job
is the paint on the side covers going to stay like that?

Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 - side covers

The 66 is now on the other side too. Not sure about the side covers. I may cut some large circles in them and put some metal gauze behind? I may just leave them off? There is enough room under the seat hump for the battery, etc, just not too sure abut having an open frame.
I guess I could re-route the electrics and leave the tabs for the side covers so I can choose?
In the summer I am going to cut the rear frame to reduce its length by 3 inches. I don't want to put a hoop on there at the mo, but may eventually. This is a long termer, so I am not in any rush to change stuff.

The #66 is for my friend and engineering mentor Fred Saunders who was a racing driver in the 1970s, pic on link shows his racing car. He is in his 80s now, still rebuilding cars, etc. Helped me replace my wheel bearings and repaired my side stand on the GS. Recently we rebuilt my diesel engine after I drove though some flood water and drowned the engine, top man, saved me a fortune.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38039090@N08/3497110999/

Got these switch gear from in a box of spares. Thought I'd replace my plastic ones with the aluminium ones. Before I did, I decided to polish them up. I may have to clear coat them once done as bare aluminium doesn't bode to well in salty Devon air!

Attachments

• switchgearlo.jpg
    switchgearlo.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 898
Found this sticker on ebay, thought it could be fun? I also made this surround in aluminium for an old Smiths speedo I had. It only goes up to 70 though so I may copy the design of the Smiths face and make a new face for a Suzuki speedo and use that instead?

Attachments

• aircooled sticker.JPG
    aircooled sticker.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 292
  • clocks.jpg
    clocks.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 322
Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 - side covers

SeanGSUK said:
Not sure about the side covers. I may cut some large circles in them and put some metal gauze behind?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38039090@N08/3497110999/

That would look pretty sharp.

Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 Petrol Tank

So I love the petrol tank I have, but I wanted to experiment with something and rather than bashing up my tank I already spent time and money on I decided to buy the tank attached. Was only £15 off ebay some months back including postage so I don't mind messing it up a bit and in no rush to finish it either.

Pics below are as it stood before any 'shaping'

Attachments

• tank inside.JPG
    tank inside.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 867
  • tank 01.JPG
    tank 01.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 839
After measuring up where my knees will fit snug, where I need indents for the clips etc, I went ahead and started 'shaping' it up.

I will be trying out using white vinegar to clean out the rust inside, which looks worse on the photo. I have also used filler on there now. The photos don't show the shape very well I wil get an overview when I get chance, you can see the difference in the shape better.

Attachments

• tank 02.JPG
    tank 02.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 838
  • tank 03.JPG
    tank 03.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 836
Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 CLOCKS/gauges

Been thinking about what to do with my clock as, although I love my Hesketh clocks, they are pretty bulky and I think they spoil the look a little, so I 'borrowed' the clocks from my wife's Suzuki GZ125, and mocked up the pix below, I may get a mini tach to attach on as well.
Top pic is the Hesketh clock I currently have, pic 2 is the Smiths Clock I re-furb'ed with the binnacle I made, pics 3 and 4 are of the GZ125 clocks in position. I may move the ignition switch to the position it was in on my old CG125, just under the petrol tank, which would move the clocks closer to the yoke.

Attachments

• clocks GZ125 02.JPG
    clocks GZ125 02.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 852
  • clocks GZ125 01.JPG
    clocks GZ125 01.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 846
  • clocks.jpg
    clocks.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Hesketh clocks.png
    Hesketh clocks.png
    836.8 KB · Views: 297
Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 Laced wheels

Just bought these laced wheels for my GS, although they are for a GT550. Need quite a bit of work but for £60 the pair and no rush to spruce them up, should look good. Plan is black hubs, stainless spokes and metallic marroon rims to match tank stripe. May need a rear drum to disk conversion (see pic 3), or try to get a GS750 rear hub, or could just keep the drum, who knows? Rims and hubs will be blasted and painted, will replace spokes and nipples with new.

Attachments

• rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 316
  • front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 286
  • disk brake conversion.JPG
    disk brake conversion.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 945
I like this bike and Im digging the red side covers that match the tank. Maybe put some blue or white on them to match the tank even better. White wall tires I don't think it would go. Im glad you got rid of that guage cluster it was too much meat. Right befor I read about the spoked wheels I was thinking you need some spoked wheels. I like colored hoops, red, white, or black. Say you painted the hubs, spokes, and hoops black what if you painted the outer lip red. You could even paint the hoops the blue color on the tank. Sorry, Im acting like this is my bike.

No worries, good to get some feedback. :D
I had thought of striping the wheels once painted, blue could be a good offset to the red and cream but I don't want to over do it, sometimes less is more!
Just spotted a chrome exhaust, but not sure as I kinda dig the black, thoughts?

The red is for a Peugeot, Diablo Red. Thanks for feedback. Been busy over Easter will get on with sorting wheels, gauges etc over the coming weeks with pix.

Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 - Jobs list

Mount speedo - need to rewind the milage first though.
Relocate ignition
Grind off bar risers and polish yoke
Trial fit wheels
- if they fit, blast, respoke and powder coat front, then find rear drum and relocate the brakes brace arm on the swing arm.
Drill out pattern on side covers
Make and fit rear hoop

I still have to use the bike 2-3 times a week so I can't make too many changes at once, plenty to be getting on with!

Really liking how this bike is coming along!!

I just got myself a '79 GS550! How have the new wheels come out? As much as I love the bike, wheels with spokes are something I really want to add to it!

Hi Tom, front wheel from a GT380 is ready to go on. Managed to get a GT550 rear, it is in need of some tlc and I need to weld I bracket to the swing arm for the torque arm to connect to the rear drum. Good news is that the bearings and spindle are the same. I have all the parts I need, just a case of making it all straight and installing.
My MOT is in a week or so and I am leaving the stock wheels on until then. I will do before and aft photos and let you know of any pit falls. As I say, front was simple, hardest part was getting a decent 35+ year old rim!
Front end gauges swop looks great. Attended a recent vintage vehicle display and I had loads of interest, more so than the concours triumph nearby!

Attachments

• IMG_6285lo.jpg
    IMG_6285lo.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,229
Re: Suzuki GS550E '78 Laced wheels

I have now replaced the cast rim on the front with the spoked GT550 wheel, I think it looks more 'vintage' but not entirely sure it is and improvement?
Thoughts?
rear wheel is going to taake some work as I have to weld in a braket for the torque arm and change the lever pivot to accept a rod as currently I have a disk set up and the laced wheel has a drum. Pix to follow on that one.

Attachments

• before sidelo.jpg
    before sidelo.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 281
  • z after sidelo.jpg
    z after sidelo.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 248
  • before widelo.jpg
    before widelo.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 263
  • z after widelo.jpg
    z after widelo.jpg