Post a pic of your latest purchase

Been a while since I posted in here, but this one I picked up yesterday.

C&J XL350

15110263_10154314982374215_5344569201303588968_o.jpg

Not MC related, unless I attach a trailer hitch to the Chappy!

Attachments

• Pelican Boost 100 kayak.jpg
    Pelican Boost 100 kayak.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 730
1969 BSA A65 Lightning (actually, a Firebird in Lightning bodywork)

I didn't so much "purchase" this, as I did accept it as partial payment for a total restoration on a '75 Norton Commando.

The previous owner bought it (refurbished), rode it a couple of times, then it sat after he got the Norton. Sat for about 3 years till I saw it in his storage unit when I went to pick up the Norton for restoration. We talked about it, and I dismissed it till I had the Norton apart and it occurred to me I could sell my project "bitsa" '67 BSA Lightning for more than I quoted him for labor, so the choice was a no-brainer.

412895358.jpg

412895360.jpg

Dumped the oil that had drained into the sump, poured it back in the tank. Checked for spark, dead battery. Looked in the tank, clean & dry. Dumped in a gallon of gas, connected my jumper starter and it fired after about 5 kicks, then proceeded to kill every mosquito in a 2-acre radius till the smoking finally subsided. Took it for a real quick ride, but it needs a bit of fettling before it'll be roadworthy.

That FINALLY completes my "trifecta" of good-running, good-looking, titled "big 3" Britbike big twins:

'75 Norton Commando 850 Interstate MkIII
'70 Triumph T120R Bonneville 650
'69 BSA A65 Lightning 650

Just need to fire up the Norton, run it down to the carwash, and take a nice beauty shot of the trio...

grandpaul said:
1969 BSA A65 Lightning (actually, a Firebird in Lightning bodywork)

412895360.jpg

...... it fired after about 5 kicks, then proceeded to kill every mosquito in a 2-acre radius

That cracked me up. Beautiful bike.

tattoo said:
If anyone here either is or knows someone who is an old BMW hound.....I've got questions that I don't know I have yet!!!!

Google "Krauser" and "Rennsport"

...also Blue Moon Cycles

I did or have but this one is exact fit and all done. I wouldn't save much with having to buy a clamp to start from.A also new that brace is 150-175.

Maritime said:
I did or have but this one is exact fit and all done. I wouldn't save much with having to buy a clamp to start from.A also new that brace is 150-175.

Oh I know, Just a thought and I have seen some that turned out pretty nice... Rock on mang!

A proper fork brace needs to clamp or bolt to the LOWERS, NOT the stanchions. Not many yokes have enough "meat" on them to bore them out to the diameter of the legs.

grandpaul said:
A proper fork brace needs to clamp or bolt to the LOWERS, NOT the stanchions. Not many yokes have enough "meat" on them to bore them out to the diameter of the legs.

Yep it needs to be beefy for sure, never have seen a "stanchion" brace Paul

Pretty sure most modern USD yokes would work on most vintage fork lowers. They're pretty common, too.

irk said:
Pretty sure most modern USD yokes would work on most vintage fork lowers. They're pretty common, too.

This is what I figured Tune was talking about using, an alloy modern USD upper or lower bored to match the fork leg tops.

Maritime said:
This is what I figured Tune was talking about using, an alloy modern USD upper or lower bored to match the fork leg tops.

Exactly, unless you have an expanded for aluminum ???

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Yep it needs to be beefy for sure, never have seen a "stanchion" brace Paul

I have a stack of them, they're referred to as "Tweek (tweak) Bars", typically founded on extended length telescopic forks.

I can tell by the size of the stack, how many chopper rescues I've done over the years (six, at present).

Maritime said:

A yoke wouldn't work, as the alignment would put it where the tire is. Fork braces are almost always curved / arched to clear the tire.

Back
Top Bottom