Who's got the best deal on freight shipping for a 190lb. engine ?

grcamna5

Over 1,000 Posts
I have a 1986' VFR700F/840cc Interceptor engine w/ 614 original break-in miles after full high performance build by a race bike builder out in CO. I've have it in it's own custom sealed crate but have removed the top and sides to keep the size of it small enough to save $ on freight.The engine is 190lbs. as it sits bolted to it's own custom pallet and I'd like to ship it that way after using shrink-wrap to seal it.
Can anyone recommend who has the best deal for me to ship it across the USA ? I've got it up on Ebay now.

I would put the sides and top right back on that pallet and ship it fully crated. The risk of incidental damage far outweighs any potential savings had by reducing the size of the crate. My experience has always been that a item on a pallet most likely will ship by weight rather than by height and width dimensions. Put your effort into protecting it.

For me it would cost under $100 cont US... Most long standing UPS/FedEx customers have a huge discount. put the word out and see if any friends have an account and get a quote. ship the motor in an old cooler banded with a cheap strap and drywall screws into the meat on a corner.

Another way to ship it and keep it under the 150# limit for ground package is to send it in parts, just removing the clutch, covers and head would likely get you in the ball park. over 150 and you have to go LTL and now you are needing a forklift or lift gate service at the other end... also shipping to a business is cheaper most of the time.

Tune-A-Fish said:
For me it would cost under $100 cont US... Most long standing UPS/FedEx customers have a huge discount. put the word out and see if any friends have an account and get a quote. ship the motor in an old cooler banded with a cheap strap and drywall screws into the meat on a corner.

Another way to ship it and keep it under the 150# limit for ground package is to send it in parts, just removing the clutch, covers and head would likely get you in the ball park. over 150 and you have to go LTL and now you are needing a forklift or lift gate service at the other end... also shipping to a business is cheaper most of the time.

I understand,I should try to deliver it to a business that will allow me to run it on their account and then pay them,right? and then ship it to a business. The engine is near Greensburg,PA. in my storage at the moment and I live in an apt. at zip 15626

Boudiepitbull said:
I would put the sides and top right back on that pallet and ship it fully crated. The risk of incidental damage far outweighs any potential savings had by reducing the size of the crate. My experience has always been that a item on a pallet most likely will ship by weight rather than by height and width dimensions. Put your effort into protecting it.

That's my feeling also.

UPS LTL standard pallet with discount is $135 from Memphis to west coast, I shipped a GT550 a few months ago and surcharges were about the same as now for $300 to ATL pallet was 4X8' no stack.

Tune-A-Fish said:
UPS LTL standard pallet with discount is $135 from Memphis to west coast, I shipped a GT550 a few months ago and surcharges were about the same as now for $300 to ATL pallet was 4X8' no stack.

What's LTL? also I just sold my nice rebuilt CB350K4 engine last night on ebay to a guy over in the UK and UPS is $1044 for it to go to Colne,Lancashire BB80DH and the box is 19"Hx18"Wx18"H and it's 120lbs. Does that sound like too much? it's Ebay;well now I'm thinking Fedex to ship it to him and see if that's less.. I'd rather give the guy a deal and refund him some $

grcamna5 said:
What's LTL? also I just sold my nice rebuilt CB350K4 engine last night on ebay to a guy over in the UK and UPS is $1044 for it to go to Colne,Lancashire BB80DH and the box is 19"Hx18"Wx18"H and it's 120lbs. Does that sound like too much? it's Ebay;well now I'm thinking Fedex to ship it to him and see if that's less.. I'd rather give the guy a deal and refund him some $

Less Than a Load... You should call ABF or UPS freight and ask for a quote from there doc FOB Lancashire BB80DH. Ask just like that and maybe they will quote you fair.

FOB is "Free On Board", just a logistics term for destination BTW.

I asked where it was and going because I am making a trip in the next few weeks to Calif to pick up some bikes and return home. Unfortunately I am in Ga. and Penn. is the wrong direction, sorry.

I just shipped a CB750 frame, engine cases, and a Kimtab wheel in a large box on a Greyhound bus from Calif-Ga. for $108.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Less Than a Load... You should call ABF or UPS freight and ask for a quote from there doc FOB Lancashire BB80DH. Ask just like that and maybe they will quote you fair.

FOB is "Free On Board", just a logistics term for destination BTW.

Thanks for that info Tune-a :)

o1marc said:
I asked where it was and going because I am making a trip in the next few weeks to Calif to pick up some bikes and return home. Unfortunately I am in Ga. and Penn. is the wrong direction, sorry.

I just shipped a CB750 frame, engine cases, and a Kimtab wheel in a large box on a Greyhound bus from Calif-Ga. for $108.

Yep... GH is a great way to go as long as the bus goes the distance haha!

I've gotten a lot of car parts shipped through Greyhound. Always good luck and cheap.

Didn't hurt anything but my box had a Kimtab wheel and a set of sandcast engine cases wrapped inside the sandcast frame. Lots of foam packing, straps all around it and the only writing on the large box was my address and many arrows indication "This Side Up", of course as soon as I see the package I notice it is in pretty rough shape and sitting upside down.

o1marc said:
Didn't hurt anything but my box had a Kimtab wheel and a set of sandcast engine cases wrapped inside the sandcast frame. Lots of foam packing, straps all around it and the only writing on the large box was my address and many arrows indication "This Side Up", of course as soon as I see the package I notice it is in pretty rough shape and sitting upside down.

There's a guy south of Ft. Collins,CO. who's interested in the engine and I mentioned forwardair.com to him;if I could get the engine down to you in GA. or meet you along your route that would be ideal but I'm thinking this prospective buyer might not want to reimburse me for fuel/costs.I would like someone to take the engine along like that best for myself(if it was my purchase) because it sure beats a heavy hauler type dude throwing it around like a boat anchor..

grcamna5 said:
There's a guy south of Ft. Collins,CO. who's interested in the engine and I mentioned forwardair.com to him;if I could get the engine down to you in GA. or meet you along your route that would be ideal but I'm thinking this prospective buyer might not want to reimburse me for fuel/costs.I would like someone to take the engine along like that best for myself(if it was my purchase) because it sure beats a heavy hauler type dude throwing it around like a boat anchor..
If there's a way I can help you out, Let me know.
Here's what my box looked like after a week on a Greyhound Bus, so I totally understand the concern for heavy hauler dudes throwing them around:

Like I said... a used cooler or a shipping crate, go to the local ABF and ask if they have some used crating or build one from lumber scraps. Lowes always has a "cull" pile you can buy boards for less than half price.

LOL. That's on the guy that packed it, not Greyhound. You have to pack it for the gorillas slinging bricks. What the hell was that guy thinking?

Back
Top Bottom