Who knows anything about Beaumont, TX?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
It's kinda far fetched at the moment, but a relocation opportunity to Beaumont, TX has popped up on our radar.
I can Google all day and look at pics, chamber of commerce, MLS listings, etc., but what's the REAL skinny? Jobs? Housing? Lifestyle?

Just went through Texas twice this week, no way would I live there. Dirty, high fuel costs, etc. I'm sure there are some sections I might like, but I didn't see them crossing Hwy 20. El Paso is the biggest fucking city i've seen in awhile. My sister said what ever I do, do not go to that city, heavy hispanic crime area. keep in mind it is just Mexico, but this side of the border.

Everyone left Texas right after the oil dried up, there's a reason for that. After the oil dried up you could buy housing for $.25 on the dollar in Texas.

o1marc said:
Everyone left Texas right after the oil dried up, there's a reason for that. After the oil dried up you could buy housing for $.25 on the dollar in Texas.
There's plenty of oil and natural gas in Texas.

Janis Joplin is from Port Arthur and went to Lamar, which is in Beaumont. I like the Gulf Coast. I don't know much about Beaumont, but Lake Charles is not far away and Houston is near, too.

I worked in Beaumont and the area which they consider the Golden Triangle ( Port Auther, Beaumont and Orange). I don't think that Beaumont is horrible, they have a good bit of refineries in the area and they don't get hit as hard with an oil price slump. It is flat and there isn't any good riding there if that's something that you look far. They do have a few rural areas around there where the cost of living may be pretty decent. I had a friend that moved out to the other side of Houston and got 3 acres with a new 2000+ square foot house for around 180k. I could go into more detail but I hate typing. Let me know if you need anything specific. Oh, I don't think that every one is leaving Texas either.

Damn good fishing there in and around Port Arthur, if you like chasing reds. Whatever Marc is referring to as some kind of "oil exodus" is simply not true. Most of the fine folks who have left due to a decline in oil production had simply come to Texas in recent years due to job opportunity, which has obviously diminished considerably. If you're considering a move due to finding work in Beaumont this clearly doesn't apply to you. I also don't know where Marc has been that he would say is "dirty," we Texans are proud of our state, and it's natural beauty, and we work hard to preserve it. El Paso may be a different story, but as I'm sure you know, El Paso is a border town, so it goes without saying that there is a higher population of immigrants (legal and otherwise) as well as crime. Beaumont is a long way away from El Paso, as in 830 miles from El Paso, might as well be a different world.

Also, according to Forbes Top Twenty Fastest Growing Cities in the US as of 2015, Houston is #1, Austin is #2, and, surprise, Dallas is #3. Not sure where everyone is running off to but it seems they're all running here. Paid $1.86 for a gallon of gas this morning and there's no income tax. Come on down bud, you'll love it here. Just like everyone else. Except Marc ;)

Back
Top Bottom