3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Rusnak_322 said:
The bike is looking good, and I love the dual sportster name. But those pegs look off, it may just be the angle of the pic, but it looks like you would have to angle your toes inward to hit the rear brake or shifter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Must be the angle.. they are pretty close to the same shape and orientation as the stock pegs were, like every EVO Sportster mid-controls since '04 when they changed the mounts.

Seen the Cone Engineering 2-1 for Sportsters?

harley-davidson-muffler.jpg

AgentX said:
Seen the Cone Engineering 2-1 for Sportsters?

harley-davidson-muffler.jpg

Hadn't seen that one... and it's about the same price as the RSD one but stainless.... I was hoping to do a high pipe 2-1. but that certainly doesn't suck. it's on the list thanks.

Got the levers, shock eye covers and coil relocation bracket powder coated today. I ordered a Kinetic Cycles relocation bracket, wasn't terribly impressed with it. The paint they used was brittle and chipped EASY... and the little choke bracket was too wide... so I cut off the choke bracket and fabricated another that fits the choke cable mount much better and powder coated it. At least the KC mount was one of the more affordable ones out there. Oh... and those enormous butt ugly grips are outta here as soon as I pick something.. they feel like I'm holding a leather soda can.

Well piss... turns out that my front tire ended up being just a wee bit too fat to be able to use the Ironhead style fender struts I was hoping to... Now I'm on the hunt for a Nightster/72 type fender...

Gonna give a swing arm chain tensioner on this one a go... that'll keep the chain off my rear brake linkages. I need to do some upgrades with a skateboard wheel and possibly a stronger spring but it's physically gonna work.

I also grabbed some matte black mirrors off eBay....

I relocated my coil over to where the old horn was mounted. I got out and installed a smaller horn up in the front today. (no way can my OCD allow for a horn button and no horn.) I'll probably fabricate a better bracket that tucks it up a little tighter.

I finished rebuilding the carb last night... I re-jetting it with new brass and needle from CV performace and added an extended Mix screw so that I might actually reach it to tune it. :)

I added a metal cap to it... I'll powder coat it to match the intake and other stuff if the stinkin' intake would ever show up.

My new grips arrived today too... MUCH better than the huge leather grips that were on it.

30 minutes a day... chiseling away at it...

New steering stem bolt.. the old one was fugly cause it was hidden before I switched risers.

My Nightster fender arrived today and I did a quick fitting and all is good. I might add a fender extension for more of that "ready for muddin'" look.

Started laying out some options on chopping the rear fender down...

Ended up looking like this... I'll get the struts cut and make a decision on if I'm going to trim up the fender any more.

and yes.. my lift is a pig-sty...

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

DBrevit said:
I thought you were building a scrambler, short short fenders in mud ?,
It’s still extended past the axle a wee bit... should be plenty good enough for all but extreme riding which will never happen... not like we’ve got dunes or mountains to play on here in central Illinois. I don’t expect a big old mud streak up my back as it sits. What I’m thinking about for my tail light and license plate might end up extending the mud catcher a little bit anyway. If it doesn't work well I can weld the struts back on and put a full fender back on it... I'm my own paint guy... the expense would be negligible.

I did a test fit of the air cleaner today... It's a Chinese cleaner off Ebay, but I swear the machining is as good as any out there... The fit is good and at $30 shipped it's ridiculous that they can even do it at slave labor costs.... I'll powder coat it to match the rest a little later when I'm doing the engine covers. It'll do nicely.

I managed to drag myself out to the garage and make up a custom length brake line... I love these BYO Brake line fixtures from Magnum.

Here's a profile pic with the tank sat upon it.

3DogNate said:
I managed to drag myself out to the garage and make up a custom length brake line... I love these BYO Brake line fixtures from Magnum.

Wow, I'd never heard of this company, thanks for the tip. I'm going to order some for my 450.
Your bike is coming along really well, btw.

Pete12 said:
Wow, I'd never heard of this company, thanks for the tip. I'm going to order some for my 450.
Your bike is coming along really well, btw.

I built the brake line for Rachels CB400a - custom lengths and fittings sold individually from 4into1.com.
And yes Nate she's really shaping up to be something awesome.
Did you buy spokes and hoops from your wheel builder? Id like to put shouldered hoops on the Cherry Bomb.

Looking good.
Do you have enough suspension travel to warrant that fender? It is really going to limit your options for a good looking seat. I assume you lifted the rear, could you lower the fender by a few inches?

SONIC. said:
Looking good.
Do you have enough suspension travel to warrant that fender? It is really going to limit your options for a good looking seat. I assume you lifted the rear, could you lower the fender by a few inches?

It's a stock Nightster/48 style fender that I cut down and mounted stock style so it's not weirdly proportioned. The shocks are 15" Burly Stilettos (2" longer than stock)... so there's additional travel over stock... I'll not know what kind of pre-load I'll have on the rear until I ride it.

There are plenty of seats that'll look great on here..
Roland Sands Boss solo
10593415_1587487331535284_259953907_n.jpg

Roland Sands Enzo Solo (1st choice at the moment.)
0804-0439-RSD-Solo-Seat-Sportster-Enzo-1.jpg.ashx

Biltwell Speedway
detail_373_1467928188__speedway_tuck_web3.jpg

Mustang Tripper
802-948_A.jpg

Saddlemen Knuckle Solo
s-l500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom