Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

Re: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

XS750AU said:
You have to at least stick them on and see what happens!!!
If they slip straight on, it would be too tempting for me to not try them.
Jep that will definitely happen :)
Just did a quick search...those cvk keihins are impossible to find for my XS...

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Agree that they are hard to find. I have been looking on and off for 2 years without luck. Thats why I have just concentrated on getting the BS34 series II working.
These Triumph Mikunis may still be better than the BS 34 series I!
Cheers
Tim.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Had some time yesterday to soak and blow out the tiny orifice in the float bowl...can´t wait for the weekend to stick the carbs on fire that thing up...
I guess, since I have the carbs already I will also clean and blow out the choke assembly.

XS750AU said:
Agree that they are hard to find. I have been looking on and off for 2 years without luck. Thats why I have just concentrated on getting the BS34 series II working.
These Triumph Mikunis may still be better than the BS 34 series I!
Cheers
Tim.

Since I want to be 100 per cent sure that no dirt from my gas tank messes my freshly cleaned carbs up I will use a separate gas tank.
Am I right that I need to plug up the Vacuum ports from the 3 inlets near to the carb mounting boots?
Cylinder 1 and 3 have hoses going to the petcocks.

thanks in advance!

Yes you need to block off all 3 vacuum ports. Don't make the same mistake I did and get an air lock in your fuel feed from the temporary fuel tank.
Good luck
Tim

So guys..this bike is driving me crazy...

Carbs all cleaned and set (especially the tiny passages in the float bowl).

Checked for spark and now Cylinder 3 has no spark.
Replaced the spark plug cable and fresh spark plug.
No spark...so frustrating!
I guess I need to do a ground up electrical test...

Hi Ryan
I feel your pain, been there. Most likely to be a poor connection or short in that circuit.
Good luck.
Tim

Thanks Tim!

I have a question:
Where are the stock ground connections on a stock XS 750?
There is one ground mounted on the side of the battery box (cleaned that one up) is there another one on the frame?

I´m asking this because I still don´t have any idiot lights and lights no blinkers etc. so my guess was a malconnection ground wise.

Ryan
You are bringing back nightmares!!! Oh but the extacy when the bitch fires up.
Yes there is a major earth point at the front left hand side of the battery box, but there MUST be a wire from that earth point directly to the negative terminal on the battery. That little wire cost me $1,400 - lesson learnt.
Once you get it going you will forget this pain!
Good luck.
Tim

XS750AU said:
Ryan
You are bringing back nightmares!!! Oh but the extacy when the bitch fires up.
Yes there is a major earth point at the front left hand side of the battery box, but there MUST be a wire from that earth point directly to the negative terminal on the battery. That little wire cost me $1,400 - lesson learnt.
Once you get it going you will forget this pain!
Good luck.
Tim

Thanks Tim i will check on that.
On my bike there are 2 grounds running together into a ring connector screwed onto the battery box (IIRC no connection to the - ground of the battery).
Is this the only stock ground on the frame?

Ryan Stecken said:
Thanks Tim i will check on that.
On my bike there are 2 grounds running together into a ring connector screwed onto the battery box (IIRC no connection to the - ground of the battery).
Is this the only stock ground on the frame?
Your bike will have the battery negative lead connected directly to the motor. So now your earyh path is
Battery
Motor
Motor mounts
Frame
Rubber battery box mounts (insulation )
Battery box
Earth point.
And all the corrosion and crap in between.
Running a wire directly from the negative terminal to the earth is infantly more reliable.
Cheers
Tim.

XS750AU said:
Your bike will have the battery negative lead connected directly to the motor. So now your earyh path is
Battery
Motor
Motor mounts
Frame
Rubber battery box mounts (insulation )
Battery box
Earth point.
And all the corrosion and crap in between.
Running a wire directly from the negative terminal to the earth is infantly more reliable.
Cheers
Tim.

Use proper thick gauge wire as well, it needs to take the starter current.
Almost all my electrical problems on the last xs was ground related.. took me a week of cutting, cleaning and soldering.
Not to mention the regulator was using all current on resistance through bad connections and feeding the battery last. Man was i happy when i could use the starter again.

datadavid said:
Use proper thick gauge wire as well, it needs to take the starter current.
Almost all my electrical problems on the last xs was ground related.. took me a week of cutting, cleaning and soldering.
Not to mention the regulator was using all current on resistance through bad connections and feeding the battery last. Man was i happy when i could use the starter again.
Sorry to argue Dave.
Yes the negative to the motor needs to take the starter current. But the fly lead from the battery negative to the earth point on the battery box can be normal harness gauge.
Ryan, it is the only earth point I am aware of, but that was on my bike not yours!!
Good luck.
Tim

XS750AU said:
Sorry to argue Dave.
Yes the negative to the motor needs to take the starter current. But the fly lead from the battery negative to the earth point on the battery box can be normal harness gauge.
Ryan, it is the only earth point I am aware of, but that was on my bike not yours!!
Good luck.
Tim

Well, i am a confessed electrical idiot.. of course positive wire to the starter needs to handle the serious current, just that all bikes ive ever laid hands on have a seriously thick gauge ground wire from battery -terminal to ground and i just guess its that way for a reason, plus it seems to work better that way. If someone could explain why so a welder can understand i would be happy

Hi Dave
Sorry I probably was not clear and a bit abrupt with my earlier reply - Totally agree with you that on the starter circuit both the positive and negative need to be big beefy cables.
We were talking about the body harness earth. On my bike it runs a normal body harness gauge wire from the battery negative to the earth point on the front left hand side of the battery box where the body harness earths all run from.
Cheers
Tim

XS750AU said:
Hi Dave
Sorry I probably was not clear and a bit abrupt with my earlier reply - Totally agree with you that on the starter circuit both the positive and negative need to be big beefy cables.
We were talking about the body harness earth. On my bike it runs a normal body harness gauge wire from the battery negative to the earth point on the front left hand side of the battery box where the body harness earths all run from.
Cheers
Tim

Thanks guys for helping me out!

Checked yesterday:

The ground on my battery bolts onto the motor with a thick gauge wire (checked with the mulitmeter, the wire is ok).
The ground point of the body harness (2 black cables going into a ring connector) bolts into a threaded point on the battery box.

Tried to connect a cable directly from the battery - to the ring connector (with the 2 black cables)--> still no idiot lights,headlight or wirking blinkers.

The only thing what is working light-wise is the tiny bulb in the headlight (but only in the last key position, all the way right)....

Ryan Stecken said:
Thanks guys for helping me out!

Checked yesterday:

The ground on my battery bolts onto the motor with a thick gauge wire (checked with the mulitmeter, the wire is ok).
The ground point of the body harness (2 black cables going into a ring connector) bolts into a threaded point on the battery box.

Tried to connect a cable directly from the battery - to the ring connector (with the 2 black cables)--> still no idiot lights,headlight or wirking blinkers.

The only thing what is working light-wise is the tiny bulb in the headlight (but only in the last key position, all the way right)....

Could be a corroded ign.switch?

Didnt check on that yet data!
Where would you start?

What can I say guys 8) ....I´m a happy guy!

Took some time to investigate once again into the spark problems...cleaned out all plugs (ALL THESE PLUGS SEEM TO BE SUPER RUSTED INSIDE)..and boom I had spark.
Connected the one coil which seemed to be gone to cylinder 1 and it had spark....connected it again to cylinder 3 plug from the CDi box and BOOM..spark...then she fired up!!!
After turning the mixture screws from the standard 2 1/4 half a turn in (1 3/4 now) she runs really nicely (lot of sputtering before).

I LOVE HER SOUND ON 3 CYLINDERS ;D ;D ;D

Next step was checking if the XS would charge...no It wouldnt...as you can see in the video the bike stays around its 12.2 V even when I revv it....

Does the rectifier get its ground from the frame?does it need to be bolted down on the battery box?I replaced the stock one with a newer cause the PO said its broken....
If the rectifier is NOT grounded will it cause these issues?

Just for fun I installed a old reg/rec I got with the bike package and it regulated the voltage down from 12v down 5V-6V....

Help appreciated!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVWvPzdjcUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7XRdnhmIgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOhXOppFDc

Well done. She is running nicely

Back
Top Bottom