NEW MEMBERS - Read this - I'm sorry, but c'mon people.

Re: I'm sorry, but c'mon people.

Watch, listen and learn... great advice. :)

Take a chance... try it yourself... also good advice. :)

Re: I'm sorry, but c'mon people.

VonYinzer said:
First off, the phrase "fuck the haters". Ok, I get it. Sometimes people are dicks. Sometimes people will talk shit on your bike no matter what you do. Those people suck. But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up... I know I do overtime I let my brain do the thinking and not my ego.

I Like this especially, VonYinzer

I've been at this building lark [ bikes and cars] for over 50 years - 40 + of those years in a professional design / manufacturing capacity [ replica sports cars ].

I certainly don't know it all, and frequently have to ask others for advice / help, but I don't consider myself "dumb".

I can whip up a true spaceframe chassis design in a morning - but wouldn't even attempt to tack it together given my lack of welding skills.

To me a "Dumb" question is one in a situation that you've never come accross before - but to others may be matter of fact - to you it's a valid question - to them it's "dumb".

"Explain the theory of relativity young Beachcomber" - a question from my science tutor 50 odd years ago ..........."How the fuck do I know", was the instantaneous response.

Ask the same question to some guy called Einstein and no doubt he'd have said "what a dumb question".

It's all a matter of your knowledge / experience level against someone else. 8)

When I was sixteen I managed to break a pushrod on my AJS 250 CSR. Simples, take the head off and replace offending item. There I sat outside my Dad's garage - but do you think that effin head would come off ? :mad:

It appeared to be "stuck" - unlikely as the bike was only 3-4 years old, but I'd encountered a similar problem once before with an old Velo Racer where the steel studs had corroded against the alloy head. Several broken screwdrivers and a broken alloy fin later, I eventually I stopped a guy who lived around the corner and who rode a Black Shadow to ask for help / advice.

Within 2 minutes he discovered the internal nut that held the last fixing bewixt head and barrel. I suppose he could have thought I'd asked a dumb question - given the OBVIOUS answer, but he just spent the next 2 hours overseeing as I carried out the repair.

Now, when I'm stripping something down for the first time [ without the benefit of a manual ] I look for hidden / non-obvious fixings !

I'm also NOT embarrassed to ask questions, that may well appear dumb to those who know. Yes of course you can have a go yourself, and you may stumble accross the correct answer - then again , you might not ...............

The other day I asked the guy that does our plating - "Can we Gold passivate aluminium " - a dumb question ? He obviously knew because it's day to day business, but I'd never encountered the situation before. I now know the answer and will not have to ask such a "dumb" question again.

My point [ and probably the concencus ] is that the first time you ask the question, to all around it might appear dumb ............personally, I don't have to ask it again. :)

Is it maybe just the "level" of dumbness that offends ?????????????????????????? ;) ;)

When I got my XS11 (my first bike that was really mine.) I knew nothing about bikes other than I wanted one. Everything I know about my bike, and bikes in general, has been through forums, websites, youtube, and manuals. I learn about my bike by working on my bike, and asking questions.

The only thing I'd consider dumb would be NOT asking if you don't know.

To me, it only makes sense to ask questions. Especially if you don't have experience or expertise in ANY area of life. :)

It's foolish to expect to proceed into the unknown, without assistance, and expect smooth sailing. You will almost certainly run into issues/make errors. It's up to you to decide if the potential errors/issues are an acceptable risk.

That said, sometimes it's fun to explore the unknown, and discover for yourself. :D I have some broken parts as "trophies" and scars as "reminders". 8)

Wrench On!! :D

All extremely valid additions. Thanks all.

My point was simpler than that though. More of a "step back and realize what's happening around you" kind of thing.

Ask questions. And when you get an answer, really listen. Don't be so reactionary all the time. Also realize the full scale of what you're doing.

There's a massive wealth of knowledge and amazing people online that are more than happy to help, but isn't the whole point of this thing to get back to basics. As in, holding that wrench in your dirty hands to make shit work?

Isn't the point to build a rad machine that acts a vessel to parts of your world you may not have noticed before? To get out on the road and smell the air, meet new people, form real bonds? You have to take all of that into consideration. If you're only playing the game for the trophy you'll always lose. Look at the big picture. Realize that when someone like Beach tells you something, it's from 50 years of real world experience. Listening to that advice, even if you have no practical use for it at the moment will make you stronger AS A PERSON.

If we don't all stop to respect the traditions and the culture WE HAVE DECIDED AND CHOSEN TO BE A PART OF than what's the fucking point? All I'm saying is that there is some deeper stuff going down than we allow ourselves to really feel. Maybe it's the hustle bustle of modern living, or some other crap along those lines. I'm certainly not smart enough to decide the reasoning. I am (for whatever reason) beginning to see past the killer one off parts and amazing paint that forms the outer shell of this "bike thing" recently though.

We are all part of something bigger and we've CHOSEN TO link to it through our love of these machines and the creative and literal freedom they allow us. Some folks knit, some paint, other write, some drink and screw. Some do all. Whatever the activity, it's all partof the same central core. A core built of humanity and linked by history.

Be a part of it. Embrace it. Stop worrying about "haters" and "hipsters" man. Stop giving a Damon of you look stupid to someone else. Worry about proving yourself YOU.

The rest will work itself out in time. Less worry about appearing to know it all and more about being real.

OK - I hold my hands up ..........................................

First "dumb" question soon after I started subscribing to DTT, was "Where do I find a Cafe Racer section". Didn't occur to me to look under "Big Arsed Projects".

Second was quite recent when I couldn't remember where I'd seen the info. on headstock bearing / stem / stanchion dimensions.

OF COURSE it was under 0-800 whatever ............... that might make perfect sense on your side of the pond - but it means farg all here in the UK !!!

Great discussion!
One of the best things about this forum is that it is global. We can benefit from experience from so many people, it is truly amazing.
However, one of the most delicate things about this forum is LANGUAGE.
As BC points out, phrases, idioms, and lingo that is completely common in one group of folks is equally confusing to other folks. A lot of us are in North America, and unless you've traveled/lived/spent time elsewhere you may not realize just how much of your daily language is influenced by your particular location/culture.
Relax, enjoy! Encourage others and be open to others ideas. Stay willing to learn from mistakes, and be alert for misunderstandings and imperfect translations.

And be aware that the quirky comment you intended to be supportive and/or funny COULD be read as offensive/disrespectful/crass by the right pair of eyes...

"And be aware that the quirky comment you intended to be supportive and/or funny COULD be read as offensive/disrespectful/crass by the right pair of eyes..."

BTDT...but so long as the dialog is kept open, it can be a learning/growing experience for BOTH parties.

I agree with most of what has been said, and I will add a couple of quotes I have found useful.

"If one man built it, another can fix it."

"The most important things you will do, can only be learned by trial and error."

"The only stupid question, is the one that goes unasked"

Or...

There is no such thing as a stupid question...

But there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

I totally agree with Yinz here. He says it better than I can. :)

It's simple and complicated all at the same time. ???

It seems to me that for most here, the longer you're here, and active on the forum, the more likely it is that you'll "get it". When I say active I mean, build something, share the process, post pics, ask questions and "Lounge at the Club". This is my favourite place on the forum. :)

The words "community" and "family" are commonly used on forums to describe the on-line relationships that develop. I know that here at DTT, it's a family dynamic that I sense among the active long time members. I don't often get that feeling elsewhere. :p

Straight up, this thread epitomizes why I joined this forum.

It's only the second forum ever for me. Volksrods being my first, back in my Cali VW days. I mean sure there are gonna be some dicks in the park wherever you live, but it's the general atmosphere that brings you back. If this place had been about a scene or a style it wouldn't be for me. I'm here because it's always felt like a place to enjoy riding and wrenching. A place I could look up info and ask if I couldn't find it. Somewhere I could share my little slice of life on my bike. If anyone was interested they could stop off and check it out. If no one gave a shit, they just moved on to something else. I don't feel discounted because I can't weld or fabricate, no one talks shit because I still can't figure out how to ground my aftermarket lights.

Shit like this makes me smile.

rattpunk said:

I come here for the same reason. You all at the very least, make me smile or, more often, laugh out loud! ;D

You can never laugh too much. It's so good to laugh! Thank you all! 8)

rattpunk said:
Straight up, this thread epitomizes why I joined this forum.

It's only the second forum ever for me. Volksrods being my first, back in my Cali VW days. I mean sure there are gonna be some dicks in the park wherever you live, but it's the general atmosphere that brings you back. If this place had been about a scene or a style it wouldn't be for me. I'm here because it's always felt like a place to enjoy riding and wrenching. A place I could look up info and ask if I couldn't find it. Somewhere I could share my little slice of life on my bike. If anyone was interested they could stop off and check it out. If no one gave a shit, they just moved on to something else. I don't feel discounted because I can't weld or fabricate, no one talks shit because I still can't figure out how to ground my aftermarket lights.

right on... this forum has by turns inspired and infuriated me... but i have learnt a lot, mainly by asking questions, reading and then trying it for my self.. i have gone from not knowing a two stroke from a 4 stroke to starting my own build... and that after all is whats its all about...inspiring.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Or...

There is no such thing as a stupid question...

But there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

HEY....... I RESEMBLE THAT STATEMENT!!! GRRRRRRRR :p

In all seriousness though this site has been a wealth of knowledge. Other sites may have more bike specific information. Some of those sites aso are a wealth of knowledge to "SEARCH" for information. Many of those other sites tend to be a little (jaded, opinionated for lack of a better term) to anyone asking a question that might differ from their opinion or veiwpoint.

I 100% agree that a safety issue shouldn't be ignored. It is a dis-service to myself or anyone else that modifies, hacks, builds, or tinkers. The great part about this site is the fact that so many people can veiw and reveiw what you are doing. What seems logical to one person, may have a glaring issue when viewed by another. There is so much knowledge here combined that what one person may have overlooked, stands out like a sore thumb to another.

I have had thoughts of ways to do certain repairs or modifications only to research and find there was a much simpler way to tackle the issue. The great part about this site is the information is here, or peple are willing to help out, BUT ONLY if you are willing to listen. When it comes to the hipsters they want a pat on the back and a positive reaffirmation to the answer they are usually :already giving in their question".

Will I listen or do everything I read, am quoted on this site when it comes to astetics?....NO. However if it comes to SAFETY or engineering you bet your A$$ I would follow the word of those who have gone before us and know more about the situation. How many of us know someone, a riders hard tail cracking during the chopper craze or other horror story?

I for one am greatful for this site and the wealth of information and opinions given here. Hopefully the people and spirt of this site will go on for a long time. Sites ike this with honest opinions and facts posted (usually) with class and details are what make this site stand apart from the others.

Enough ranting- go bulid something... ;D

Back
Top Bottom