Pocket Rocket - 1978 xs650

jdizon

Been Around the Block
I call this build "Pocket Rocket" as it will be lean mean rocket machine! It's got to look like it's doing a TON standing still :)

First order of business is to Disassemble this bad girl. This was the first time I took an engine out and it went without a hitch other than my dolly broke in half after I set it down. It was all I had and it had a 200lb rating :doh:

picture.php

The rest of the bike went apart with out any real hiccups other than the swing arm. Took a BFH and a few hours soak in liquid wrench and she slipped right out.

All parts Bagged and Tagged

picture.php

Spent a good hour brushing and DE-greasing the frame.

picture.php

wiseguy swingarm under brace installed. I opted for the pre-welded kit and I'm very pleased with the fit. Well made.

picture.php

picture.php

Pics of modified swingarm/brace and decided to run the front fender out back. Think the lines of the new fender suit the bike better :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Since my bike is lowered 3-4" Decided to take a 1/2" out of the kickstand. I originally had it bent slightly but I wanted to do things proper.

picture.php

Battery is 8 cell ballistic battery. Need the extra CCA for electric starter.

The battery can be mounted in any direction and there are no worries about lead plates cracking from vibration. battery faq here

It's actually a lot smaller than it looks in the picture.

Zevo3.jpg

Met with Robert, Owner of Omar Dirt track racing and I was finally able to pick up a real wheel conversion kit. Decided to Go with 36/17 gearing. Want the quick acceleration around town :)

picture.php

Also picked up brembo calipers and ebc rotors and mounting kit for out back. Need to mount new brake stays. Really quality work. Spent quite a bit of time chatting it up with Robert and going over the cool toys in his garage. He is a wealth of information. The drive out was worth it.

picture.php

More mockup fun. Playing with Fairings this evening. Chin scoop I picked up from on old Honda Interceptor.

picture.php

Me making vrooom vroooom sounds in the garage. Goal to complete his project is May. Hope it happens, getting tired of pretending to ride LOL

picture.php

Scribbling fairing tank design ideas.

picture.php

Photo chopped Fork cover and peanut tank from a triumph I found online. I like the triumph logo and plan to put something similar on my tank to say Pocket Rocket, Rocket or Rocketeer :) Or yahama lol! We'll see.

picture.php

Another mount added to support fender on the lower swingarm brace. Should be solid now. Never liked the look of fender support struts. New brake stay tabs welded up. All fab done and ready for paint and body.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Spending time Choppin tabs, grinding and smoothing out welds before she goes out for powder or paint.

picture.php

Frame/Swingarm sent out for powder coating. A bunch of goodies ordered from Mikexs to upgrade swingarm/fork/steering bushings/bearings etc.. Anything missing?

Swingarm bushings bronze
swingarm grease seal set
swingarm bolt grease fitting
Steering Stem Bearing Kit XS650
35mm fork seals
Damper bolt sealing Washers (Pk/2)
77-84 Fork Tube Caps O-Rings - Pk/2
Clip - Fork Seal 77-84 35mm. (Pk2)
Washer - Fork Seal 77-84 35mm. (Pk2)
Fork Dust Covers 77-84 XS650 (Pk2)
Rubber Plug (Fork tube top Cap) Pk/2
Fork Oil Level Gauge