Why not one more. Snowmobile engine board track "replica"

Re: Why not one more. Snowmobile engine deadtail

deviant said:
This is cool, man. I'm enjoying learning about these motors.

Thanks. These little engines are almost to simple. No valves of course, but even beyond that they are engine design at its simplest form. They were kind of the German equivalent to a Briggs and Stratton. 2 stroke though. Made for reliability more so than power. Rated at 15 h.p. at 5000 rpm. Im going to do a little exhaust port work, mostly just cleaning up the rough casting as well as modify a 250cc dirtbike expansion chamber to fit. With those mods I may get up to a whopping 17 h.p. lol. My thought though is that if it will move a 350 lb. snowmobile 30 m.p.h. with all of the rolling resistance of the track, it should be able to motivate a small motorcycle up to 55mph with the right gearing. all of this is guessing only of course.

This should be fun. Will have to follow along.

Well, since I have to weld on the hardtail, and I'm hoping a full custom frame is in the project lineup in the future, I figured it's time to make a frame jig. Had a bunch of extra square tubing around that's straight with 7/16" holes every inch on center. It will be all bolt together and almost infinitely adjustable. I'm trying not to do a hack job so it will be able to be around for a while.

aa18018efc5b12b9953cc7d5d87c61b6.jpg

b247c667d58ab1291ef3066051c8f9c6.jpg

Gotta have some brackets water jet cut to make it all hold together.
44b33e6aed180ef678ef8c12bc070a25.jpg

VonYinzer said:

I'm glad you are getting the blame for this one, usually he manages to find some way to blame me for his harebrained ideas genius schemes.

Now I know why I was avoiding this thread :-\ I'm worse than a kid in Toys R Us... I want I want !!

ridesolo said:
I'm glad you are getting the blame for this one, usually he manages to find some way to blame me for his harebrained ideas genius schemes.
If there is ONE thing that I won't be able to blame you for, it's a hard tail lol

Tune-A-Fish said:
Now I know why I was avoiding this thread :-\ I'm worse than a kid in Toys R Us... I want I want !!
Get ya one man lol it will be cheap when it's done, and I know you got time =p lol

ridesolo said:

All I did was ask for a pic of the frame. That's it. He's the one who went all loony with snowmobile engines and whatnot. Lol.

VonYinzer said:
All I did was ask for a pic of the frame. That's it. He's the one who went all loony with snowmobile engines and whatnot. Lol.
Ha

So, this is what happens when you can't get the clutch off. Start cutting.
e3231e5d06fcf90bdb3a52090be022a9.jpg

So, I spent some time tonight with a plasma cutter, air hammer, puller and a torch and finally got that clutch lose. Engine torn down. Gonna split the cases tomorrow and see if my crank is trashed.

cdae5afcf31008b8ebc6eecd34053483.jpg

I think I found where the pto crank play was coming from.....

83278757e68bec0eafb3a6d09718128d.jpg

Nice thing is I can still get crank bearings, full winderosa gasket set and oversize piston and rings for less than $100 to my door

VonYinzer said:
So...

Done yet?
Yeah, took me a bit to reply cuz I was out riding it. Little more tuning to do, but she runs ok.

O.S. Piston, crank bearings and seals and full gasket set ordered and on the way for $90.91 shipped to my door. I know an oldschool speedway racer that still bores cylinders for $35 a hole and does nice work. so, with all the labor done myself, I can have a full rebuilt engine for around $125. That seems pretty cheap to me =)

Here is a video of the same motor idling in a snowmobile. I will definitely need rubber motor mounts.

http://youtu.be/1p7IXfyzPNE

hurco550 said:
Here is a video of the same motor idling in a snowmobile. I will definitely need rubber motor mounts.

Why? You're putting it into a hardtail frame, so how come you'd be worried about a little vibration? ;D

Are you going to do a torque converter and a jack shaft, mini bike style or are you going to primary belt/chain it into a transmission?

Back
Top Bottom