Need some schooling on this......

AzHonda

Coast to Coast
I took the best pictures I could. This is a SL250 engine that came off of my 73 XL250. The camshaft has some scratches/nicks on the top of (dont know what the part is called...Rocker roller?) So, seeing that, what should I expect from the engine or in other words what should I be looking at to replace? Or, is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 223
It's called a cam lobe, it's what opens and closes the valves as the cam rotates. It looks (from what I can see in the pictures) that the hardened outer layer of metal is starting to deteriorate/break-down. Not exactly absolutely necessary to replace/repair it, but it would be a good idea to go ahead and do it since the engine's tore apart anyway. If the budget allows for it, I'd grab a new cam, if not, I'd get it welded and reground back to spec. For a 250 engine, I'd imagine they'd both cost about the same though. If you buy a new one, you can play around with the duration, lift, etc. suitable for any performance mods you're planning on doing. Good luck.

That wear looks really minor to me. I'd use it as is. Just change oil regularly.

Back
Top Bottom