1981 Kawasaki GPz550 Cafe Build

I saw a craigslist add in my area just the other day for a pretty nice looking one(stock trim) for 1500 if I remember correctly, may have been 1200.

doctorcat said:
Sam, those are the carb float bowl drains. these are what you would drain before storing the biek for winter so the gas doesn't turn to varnish over the whole winter.

Looking back over this.. I didn't drain those before starting the project..

Apply vacuum to the petcock and see if fuel flows. If it doesn't replace it or rebuikd it. I'd replace with a standard. If fuel flows with vacuum its aomething in the carbs

Sam, if you PM me I can give you my contact we can diagnose the carb together. Always down to help get another GPZ rolling with what I know. I’ve had carbs apart a billion times now and made every mistake. I’d like to prevent you making the same ones. I’m in NY upstate/western where are you?

doctorcat said:
Sam, if you PM... I’m in NY upstate/western where are you?

Spokane WA! Still have the bike and been slowly working on it. Had to repaint the tank and tail. Got the seat done and should have photos of it rolling around next week.. Had another baby so projects lost interest lol.

Not getting any power to headlamp though - stoked about that.

I did finish this other project in the mean time.. different type of a build - my son's balance bike.
It's the worlds first full suspension aluminum downhill balance bike..

Attachments

• IMG_6377.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6378.JPG
    IMG_6378.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
This is a paint scheme on the tail that I didn't like. Didn't pinstrip it, thank goodness. That blue stripe I did under the seat doesn't match by any means. Will post completed paint photos hopefully before the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_6338.JPG
    IMG_6338.JPG
    968.3 KB · Views: 195
High idle is typically a lean condition, so check for leaks. Not running on "ON" is usually a problem with the vacuum operated fuel tap. It sounds like an air leak in the vacuum hose or maybe it's missing altogether.

Check that first.

Then check fuel flow. Disconnect teh hose from the petcock to crabs and insert it into a container and turn the tap to PRI and see how fast it flows. Then turn it to RUN or ON (whatever yours says) and see if it flows. It should not. Then apply a vacuum to the vacuum hose and see how well the tap flows. That all assumes that you have a vacuum tap and that it's clean and the filter is clean.

If that doesn't reveal anything and tap flows correctly, then it's time to look at the carbs and filters.

Had to fix tank leaks and that meant a full sand bondo and primer ordeal. Plus I finally got the seat painted

Attachments

• IMG_6427.JPG
    IMG_6427.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 214
Just needs a bath!

Attachments

• IMG_6429.JPG
    IMG_6429.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 207
Hello I am a 17 year old that just bought this bike from Sam I am. I am Stripping off paint and I am going to black out the paint job and replace white leather seat with a brown buckskin seat.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom