That little pin on speedo gear cj360

Trevor May

Been Around the Block
I can't get that little pin that holds the speedo gear into the drum brake housing. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to pull it out? I don't want to damage it so I thought I would ask first.

77 honda CJ360 so drum front brake. Its about 3/16" roll pin sticking out 1/4" into a blind hole. Normally I wouldn't even bother but I sandblasted the case before I polished it and now it sounds terrible when I spin it. I'd like to clean it out really well and also send it out for clear powder coating once the polishing is done.

what pin ? http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1976-honda-cj360t/o/m9459#sch399708

HJ0906W0193014.gif

if it is stick out can you grip it with regular vise grips endways? use a small deremel stone grind a groove in the jaws help shrink the pin,and to grip it tite

Its a steel roll pin in aluminum. I have heard different suggestions.
1. One was to fill the pin with grease and drive a wooden dowel into the pin so the hydraulic action pushes it out.
2. Another is to tap the pin and use a screw to pull it out.
3. Can also drill it out.
4. Lastly heat it up and just yank.
I am leaning towards combining 2 and 4
Its a very small pin so not sure if it's big enough to tap

too hard to tap,to hard to drill
grip it and yank it out, a little heat on the aluminum will help
#1 wont work ::)

xb33bsa said:
too hard to tap,to hard to drill
grip it and yank it out, a little heat on the aluminum will help
#1 wont work ::)
Thanks xb33bsa that was my instinct too.

I wanted to say thanks for input and update on this status. I used heat via a propane torch and a set of side cutters prying up to finally get the little pin out.

It's probably a standard size (inch) roll pin so easy enough to find replacement

Update once again! It turns out to be 3mm roll pin, and I ended up ordering 50 of them to meet the $10 minimum from fastenal. I could have drilled it out to meet the next SAE size but the pin only holds the pinion gear in position with minimal tolerance and I didn't want to risk wearing the gear.

Back
Top Bottom