'81 kz440: brat cafe build

Re: '81 kz440: bobber --> cafe

thanks guys! forgot to mention i also scored a 50' roll of copper colored exhaust wrap on amazon for $10! haven't seen it for less than 45-55, so i was very pleased with that deal to say the least. reason for it being so cheap was that it was "used" but in "like new" condition. i thought how the heck could you "use" exhaust wrap but still have it in "new" condition? figured i'd chance it and see, and it turns out "used" meant that the packaging it came it had been opened, but the wrap was still in it's plastic wrapper inside haha.

haha, yeah, not bad for the price! at this point, i'm at a crossroads...i'm not sure whether to go with the dual straight pipes, or make a 2-1 collector and run the shorty reverse cone muffler i bought thinking i would want it for this build. as of now, i'm leaning towards the muffler, but we'll see what happens!

here's a quick (and crappy) shot with the muffler mocked up on it.

403677001.jpg

or the straight pipes.

403650140.jpg

I dig the straights. Goes with the theme a little more. Love the build man, and that seat is rad.

I like the look of the straights, but the functionality of the muffler...hmmm.

Bike's looking great man.

JustinLonghorn said:
I like the look of the straights, but the functionality of the muffler...hmmm.

Bike's looking great man.

that's EXACTLY my dilemma!! i posted a pic a page or two back of some baffles that i picked up when i was still planning running straight pipes. would it be wise to run them still if i went with the muffler? i'm a newbie when it comes to exhaust stuff :/

How's this coming along? It looks good. What kinda shocks DID you have on the back? I need new ones. Wanna sell them and the remainder of your copper wrap to me? I'm planning on buying both of those things...

AnxiousCowboy said:
How's this coming along? It looks good. What kinda shocks DID you have on the back? I need new ones. Wanna sell them and the remainder of your copper wrap to me? I'm planning on buying both of those things...

hey man, thanks for the compliment! it's been at a stand still the last few weeks waiting for the exhaust to get finished. it was supposed to get done last monday but i had to cancel on the guy that was finish welding it for me. we re-scheduled for last night, but that ended up falling through again. next monday we're giving it another shot, i'm reeeeally hoping it works out!
i had progressive shocks on the rear, somewhere in the 11-12" range, but i can't remember for sure. here's a pic from when they were on the bike...

7aliveatlast7 said:

i'll pm you about them and the copper wrap.

so i know it's been a long time since an update with this thing has happened, but that will *hopefully* be changing come tomorrow! my friend who was TIG'ing up my exhaust got about 3/4 done, and has been busy ever since, so i've been stranded the past few months, not wanting to pay to have it done. however, i just found a shop 25 mins away that will finish it up for $20!! i'm trying not to be to excited, as plans have done nothing but fall through again and again with this exhaust, but i can't help it!

after that's done, i just have to add oil, put in a battery, put my chain on, and hope she starts. i may need a starter clutch, as that was going last time i rode her, but we'll see if i can't get her running without and just put one in over the winter.

sneak peak!

404213471.jpg

anyone in the eastern PA area should give absolute fabrication, llc. in whitehall, PA (near allentown) a call if they need any fabricating or welding of any material done. the guys are awesome, are into bikes and cars, have unreal prices, and they are absolute pro's at what they do!

just need to wrap them. i originally wanted to use copper wrap, but decided against it and now want tan. if anyone is in the market for a brand new roll of 2"x50' thermo tec copper colored exhaust wrap, pm me.

404309206.jpg

Back
Top Bottom