O2 sensor + CB360 = interesting tidbits for everyone.

trek97

No Custom Title
DTT BOTM WINNER
I dont want to bore you to death w volumes of info...If you want more "details" I will be delighted to share that info.

For this write up it dont matter what pipes or filters or pods you got.

these are just couple important do's and dont's I have found so far.

I have been working w PJ to get him some good, real time o2 sensor air/fuel mix findings.

first off, let me say I have installed an o2 sensor on my 76 CB360 and found some interesting carb tuning information I would like to share w all.

This is the kit I got from amazon.

11494-070514070856-2301220.png

Its a breeze to install. I just have 2 ty-raps holding it on, so I can easily remove the thing. Once, Im finished, I dont plan to run this full time. I can just toss it on in the spring for a tune up, remove it and go. I use my battery tender junior plug to power it. so it simply unplugs.

11494-070514070858-240304.jpeg

I welded a bung on each pipe so I can swap it back and forth and check both carbs.

11494-070514070858-241300.jpeg

Tuning Air/Fuel mix at idle...

My bike idles fastest at 12.8 to 1 a/f mix ratio.
this gauge is sensitive enough that I can see the a/f mix fluctuate as fuel is consumed at idle. and the floats work to start and stop bowls filling. So, at idle I see fluctuation, a lean mix of 13 to 1. Then floats open and it richens to 12.3 to 1, back and forth as fuel is consumed and bowls refill. If I REALLY concentrate I can actually hear the rpm fluctuate as this cycle occurs. Idle drops a smidge, then picks up, back and forth. about 10 - 15 seconds for a full cycle.

First...
parking the bike properly for tuning.
The bike MUST be on center stand.
The bike MUST be at the same level it would sit as if it were on the ground w your ass on the seat.
example...with mine on center stand, the rear tire is a few inches off the ground. Bike leaning forward on the front tire. I put 2 inches of plywood under the front tire to get it sitting at the exact same stance as it does when I am sitting on a level piece of road at a stop sign w my ass on the seat.

If my bike is not "ride level" and I adj A/F mix to average 12.8 to 1...

Once I set bike on road and put my butt in the seat, the Mix can actually drop to 10.7 - 11.5 to 1. and the bike will run noticeably different, in a bad way.

If you try to adjust mix on side stand, then stand it upright and sit on it...forget about it. You are totally fucked from the start.

Next item...

Setting the idle speed.

Make sure to always keep idle speed at recommended speed. For my bike its 1200 rpm.

So, if I adj to 1200 rpm and then I adjust the right side for fastest idle. (Say it picks up to 1400 rpm)
then adjust the left for fastest idle. and it picks up a little more. Then turn idle back down to 1200rpm...both screws will be rich.

What I need to do is go through it twice. It only takes a few seconds to do.
start at 1200, adj right carb to fastest idle. then back to 1200, then left. back to 1200

then repeat, right, 1200, left, 1200. It will be pretty damned close enough.

And lastly MOST IMPORTANT

Do not make any carb adjustments on a cold engine.

what happens is. the cold engine causes the atomized fuel to condense. It will be lean. Thats the reason you have to richen her up w the choke to start cold. Once engine warms it will run richer. Atomized fuel, vaporizes and mixes better in the warm intake and cylinder.

so, the moral of the story so far.

If my bike is not sitting "ride level" it will richen up when it is "ride level".
if I adjust a/f mix and then set idle to 1200 it will richen up.
If I do all this cold....it will richen up.

If I do all of these things "Like I always have done them" I wonder why my bike runs rich?!?! ::)

Just for a fun experiment....Dont install the slide backwards. "holes on engine side" They will hammer themselves to death. In two miles ride, mine beat themselves so much. They both wedged inside. I didnt think I would get them out.

It dont look bad in pics. But I could catch my thumbnail on those deformed edges.

11494-070614073955-3741327.jpeg

took me 15 minutes to pull, pry, yank and cuss the slides out. scored the walls pulling them out.

11494-070614073956-3881523.jpeg

11494-070614073956-387843.jpeg

after filing the deformities out, and smoothing w emory paper.

11494-070614073956-3891153.jpeg

I'm onboard - you've already given me several good ideas as to how to solve some of the issues I've had with my 360.

I've never needed to use the choke to start the thing - it actually dies on choke - so it sounds like I'm running pretty rich, right?

Worst cb650 ever said:
I'm onboard - you've already given me several good ideas as to how to solve some of the issues I've had with my 360.

I've never needed to use the choke to start the thing - it actually dies on choke - so it sounds like I'm running pretty rich, right?

Absolutely, its too rich from the start.

Gravity fed Carbs will inherently run rich.

So, another thing.

Having my A/F tuned to perfection, I go for a ride. I come to a stop, and things seem richen up EVERYTIME.

According to the manual, float height is 18.5mm, (beside the point, because I think this is a typo anyways. Im sure mydlyfkrizis will argue this.)

Pjs recommended float height is 21mm. And this makes perfect sense.

"CONSUMPTION" is the only way to get fuel out of the carbs, dropping fuel level to lean.

Gas can always enter these carbs, a bump, vibration, bouncing the floats, leak by debris, curves, hills, a million reasons.
An extra drop or two can always sneak past the float needle. raising the fuel level to be too rich.

Guess I'll be pulling the carbs off again to readjust the float height...

Worst cb650 ever said:

PJ recommends 21mm. mine are at 21.5mm right now. But, I am still experimental. ;D

Also, I was having problems down at the Spring Thaw in Kentucky.
mine is idling perfection and super amazing above 4000 rpm.

I believe now one of my slides was sticking a bit.

But mostly, I found my float needle springs were "mushy". I think this was letting more than just a drop sneak by. After replacing them w new. things really seem to have improved.

Apon, PJs recommendation I resurfaced the caps to fit better over the diaphragms. So, no leaks there.

With screws tight...diaphragms NOT installed. I could shine light through.

11494-230514054927-370936.jpeg

I flattened the carb bodies w a big file and sheet of emory. Not too much but enough to be flat.

11494-230514054927-36934.jpeg

and flattened the caps on a big flat sander at work. ALSO, Not too much but just enough.

11494-230514054926-3681859.jpeg

I think my slides are good, and my float needles are new. I'll try 21.5 then!

Worst cb650 ever said:
I think my slides are good, and my float needles are new. I'll try 21.5 then!

I hate setting floats. And I am practically blind.

Worst cb650 ever said:
Rodger that, setting floats is terrible.

I hated points, but I have gotten pretty darn good and quick at those. I can install the advancer and points plate set up from scratch, left gap, static time, timing light, right gap w timing light, and done in about 10 minutes now.

But I still hate...
1. valves
2. floats
and something else but I can't remember, what it is.

Cleaning gutters instead of 1, 2, or 3 is #0. One day science will tell us what manner of creatures live in that muck...

deviant said:
Syncing carbs is #3.

LOL and thats no shit. HA, I can't believe you got that. Thanks bud!

;D ;D ;D

so...things I hate

#1 valves
#2 syncing carbs
#3 floats

In that order. I think.

That's some good info Trek! I don't even own a Honda and I read all of it.....

+1 for the Innovate products. We currently use the LM-2 wideband meter for tuning cars and have been using their stuff for years (we had one of the original prototype LM-1 for a long time). Sadly the LM-2 is way too bulky for motorcycle use, but I'll have to look into the setup you're running.

Big Rich said:
That's some good info Trek! I don't even own a Honda and I read all of it.....

thanks Rich, all these old carbbed bikes may have slightly different results and personalities. But it can't hurt...

krafty said:
+1 for the Innovate products. We currently use the LM-2 wideband meter for tuning cars and have been using their stuff for years (we had one of the original prototype LM-1 for a long time). Sadly the LM-2 is way too bulky for motorcycle use, but I'll have to look into the setup you're running.

the wires are long. Since I have no intention of running this permanently, I just wrap all the excess and tie it around the tail light.
I am really impressed w this little unit.

trek97 said:
According to the manual, float height is 18.5mm, (beside the point, because I think this is a typo anyways. Im sure mydlyfkrizis will argue this.)

PJ's recommended float height is 21mm. And this makes perfect sense.

Cool, found this by 'accident' ;D
Pretty sure the 18.5 is a typo, 'we' used to have various manual 'mistakes' for teaching purposes. One they never used but was probably the worst I've seen is in the Honda VT250 manual, someone used the front cyl pics for rear cyl, it isn't even close to possible to fit cams the way manual wants you to (on a V motor one cylinder runs 'backwards' compared to the other)
Check the damper springs at the opposite end of shut off valves are working. recently I've had several either stuck or only moving 1/4mm instead of full ~1mm

krafty said:

Is the wideband a heated O2 sensor?

Worst cb650 ever said:

Unless you messed with them or things have settled in they should be at 21mm

Back
Top Bottom