CJ360t won't pull...

jdub64

So my little CJ360T lost to a Toyota Camry that felt yielding to oncoming motorbikes when turning left was too much an inconvenience. Only real damage was a bent left fork tube and handle bars (I grabbed every bit of brake I had so the impact was only around 25 miles an hour). Needed parts were replaced but now she won't pull me out of the garage. Engine starts on the second kick, idles fine and revs fairly strong in neutral but will barley pull above 1800 rpms when slipping the clutch. Airboxes, filters, carbs, motor and exhaust are stock. The bike ran well before the accident. Timing is only slightly off on the left side (kind of has been for a while). I feel pretty confident the clutch has been adjusted correctly. Is there anything I might be missing here?

(Thanks in advance for the help, you guys are brilliant!)

Check that all your jets are secure in your carb, after getting my bike running (cb360t) I had a jet cone undone and there was no power, just trying to get moving took a lot of Rev and clutch play.

And just thinking of this now but you said the timing is off on the left side only, have you tried to re adjust?

Check compression and timing. If they're both good, then fueling is the only thing left that it could be.

Reset timing, fired on first kick (when cold this time :)) and tested compression after the engine warmed up. 140 on the RT and 145 on the LT. I sprayed starter fluid around intake boots and verified there was no change in idle speed. Pulled out of the garage and it still fell on it's face. Rpms drop drastically right after fully releasing the clutch but it doesn't stall. The throttle is about 20% responsive until I reach 2500 rpms then becomes 75% normal. When i bring it to a stop, idle drops to 700-800 rpms and hints at stalling but doesn't. I did not shift about first gear.

Should I pull the carbs are verify jets are secure and float levels correct?

I did. Strobe was right on. Could it be sticky clutch plates or maybe a crossed wire in the headlight bucket?

No intake mods. The OEM air filters have maybe 1000 miles on them. I'm even running the stock 2 into 1 exhaust with original 30ft muffler. Unless something shook loose inside the carbs in the accident, I'm thinking it has to have been something I touched when replacing parts (throttle cable, clutch cable, wiring). I'll double check all that this week and most likely still pull the carbs as it was running rich before the accident (I set the float height to 18.5mm but read 22mm maybe help). I'm sure a carb sync wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Back
Top Bottom