My GPz550 won't start. Could it be the steering fluid??

MaxBell

Ok, so now that I have your attention (they say wrong info in the internet gets answered), I have a custom GPz550 that is going back together right now and I can't figure out why it won't start. It ran about a week ago, no problem.

1) Carbs were cleaned out 1 month ago.
2) Tank is new and rust/dirt free, plus it has a new fuel filter.
3) Exhaust is the same.
4) Airbox has been modified. I measured the intake opening and simply made the inside volume smaller. (It ran last week with no airbox at all.)

What gives? Could there be trash in the lines that is now in the carbs? The old tank was pretty rusty, though it ran ok with the rust tank too. It's turning over fine, and it tries to catch, but nothing. :(

Here it is running fine a week ago. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152661778397813

The bike will need three things to start: fuel, air and spark at the right time. You need to find out which of these is missing from the equation. Have you checked to see if any gas is getting to the cylinder? Have spark? Battery good?

My guess is it's the muffler bearings. They go bad and nothing works right.

Like Deacon said, you need to do a little more diagnoses for anyone to be able give a reasonably accurate solution ;)

Pull your plugs after an attempted start, see if fuel is getting them wet. Clean them off, rest against block while turning the engine over to see if you get spark. Tell us what ya find.

Also, look for any wires that may have gotten dissconected in the process of switching your tanks and or removing replacing carbs etc. all it takes is to bump a coil connector loose to drive you to drink. The spark test and wet plug tests are good but it may be as simple as a loose wire. Check all connections. then check for fuel and spark.

HerrDeacon said:
The bike will need three things to start: fuel, air and spark at the right time. You need to find out which of these is missing from the equation. Have you checked to see if any gas is getting to the cylinder? Have spark? Battery good?

Compression. Gotta have compression.

Is the power band adjustable? If so start with the lowest setting and work up. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm going to throw my bet on the disconnected wire theory. Happens often.

Back
Top Bottom