Drilling hole in handle bar

eoep

Been Around the Block
What size drill bits have you guys used? Someone said to use dremel on another post?

use a drill bit i would drill a 1/8"-3/16 hole first then go to the final size for wiring
i dont think i would go much any bigger than the hole size in the oem bars for wiring

I made a template of the hole in the oem bars and transferred it to the new bars. Then I drilled a pilot hole and went up a couple sizes at a time till I was close to the final hole size. Then I finished it off with a dremel. I actually used a heavy duty cutoff wheel instead of a grinder because it cut into the metal a lot easier. I have pics on my build thread (called cb360 project).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi!

i need to do this too on my z400 project.are there any pics where you drilled these holes in your bar?is it safe to do this?
i will need holes left and right at least 1/2 inch on both sides for the controls and 1 inch right on the underside of the bar...

thanks in advance!

I would imagine it's relatively safe, as long as the holes are no bigger than other bars, like the CB350s. If this was an off road bike I'd say no way, but the stresses on a street bike's bars is considerably less.

Maybe a google search would reveal some comments from engineers. I would imagine that the location of the holes has a lot to do with the integrity of the bars.

runmikeyrun said:
I would imagine it's relatively safe, as long as the holes are no bigger than other bars, like the CB350s. If this was an off road bike I'd say no way, but the stresses on a street bike's bars is considerably less.

Maybe a google search would reveal some comments from engineers. I would imagine that the location of the holes has a lot to do with the integrity of the bars.

the what i was thinking of.i guess alumium bars are also a no go.are pre drilled bars thicker steel ones or the same as the undrilled ones?
i got a drilled one at home so i can spot the area easily where to drill but i cant use that bar cuz i would need to get a longer braking hose..

Ryan Stecken said:
the what i was thinking of.i guess alumium bars are also a no go.are pre drilled bars thicker steel ones or the same as the undrilled ones?
i got a drilled one at home so i can spot the area easily where to drill but i cant use that bar cuz i would need to get a longer braking hose..
When i compared my stock ones with the ones i drilled they are about the same thickness. Be careful when drilling as the drill bit tends to dance around. I just punched it and went easy. As for getting the right placement i grabbed a piece of paper and molded it to the top control switch and then brought it over to the bar and marked the spot. Just like thrillseeker said.

Whatever you do make sure you use a small file or sandpaper or something to smooth out the holes -- if you don't they'll eat through your wiring as you try to thread it.

I m gonna use a piece of tape to transfer it to my undrilled handlebar.
I have a drill press at low speed that i m gonna use,gonna clamp the bar down and start with a small diameter.

I will need two smaller holes at the grips for the controls,diameter about 1 centimeter.

In the middle i will need a longhole with 2,5 cm.

I will dress the hole down with a file to keep it from scratching.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432221814600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432221814600.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 133
I want to say the CB350 bars have a small extra piece of metal welded over the area of the hole? If not that bike then another one; I have certainly seen it.

Not so much.

Ryan S. 1 cm is a pretty big hole but if that's what's on the stock OEM bars, you should be fine.

I have drilled aluminum bars without any issues, but the holes are small and all sharp edges have to be rounded off.

the center hole between the clamps could be of concern if it was too large and the bars had rubber insulted clamp posts this would allow the type of movement that could lead to fatigue cracking
but if the bars are solidly mounted the center hole can be safely large
the ones on the end really arent a concern at standard type size just don't go crazy oversize

xb33bsa said:
the center hole between the clamps could be of concern if it was too large and the bars had rubber insulted clamp posts this would allow the type of movement that could lead to fatigue cracking
but if the bars are solidly mounted the center hole can be safely large
the ones on the end really arent a concern at standard type size just don't go crazy oversize
Thanks for the insight!!

Back
Top Bottom